Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ebay blues a sad yet sincere venting. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Ebay blues a sad yet sincere venting.         Reply with quote

Man, it is hard to get antique swords anymore on a limited budget. I work in social services so I have a limited budget to bid with and there is always someone who can drop a bundle like its nothing at all. I recently lost a bid on a very fine CHATELLERAULT FRENCH ARTILLERY SWORD that I liked a lot. I couldnt stick around till the last minute either because I went to fencing. (I had a scheduled lesson) I thought the sword gods migh favor this sincere act but alas the gods of commerce had final judgement. So once more the Sword is an item for rich people. At least its historical. I hope who ever won the sabre (pic below) really appreciates it. Oh sigh of sighs!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone else have a sad sword story and pic?

Attachment: 23.82 KB
french saber.jpg

inkothemgard!
Dan P

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ebay blues a sad yet sincere venting.         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
I thought the sword gods migh favor this sincere act but alas the gods of commerce had final judgement. So once more the Sword is an item for rich people. At least its historical. I hope who ever won the sabre (pic below) really appreciates it. Oh sigh of sighs!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone else have a sad sword story and pic?

Look into reproductions I guess?

So... sad sword stories... Generation 2 used to make (like 5 years ago maybe?) a "battle ready" shortsword that looked a great deal like "Sting" from the Lord of the Rings movies. Naturally it was a limited edition at a time when I was in school and didn't have that kind of money.
By the time I graduated and got a job and income and all those neat things... too late to get one.
But I heard this saying from a monk once, "If you cannot have it, perhaps you don't need it". There will always be other swords.
Jonathan Eells

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Sword Wyrd         Reply with quote

I hate losing, too. But the last sword I bought was on an "out-call" basis from the smith. He e-mailed his list of customers, and I didn't read his note until about a half hour after he sent it. I figured "no way, I totally missed it", but I sent back my intent to buy if it was still available. I beat the other guy by TEN SECONDS!
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"If you cannot have it, perhaps you dont need it."

Thats probably the truth of it,
I suppose these are the kind of complaints of the petty bougoise. "Boo Hoo, I cant have the antique sword I want." I suppose there are far worse complaints in this world. I should be thankful for the custom swords and antiques that I do have. Still , I really liked that sabre and visualized just where I would put it. I figured myArmoury off topic was the place to express my disappointment with other collectors..

inkothemgard!
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel your pain. The market for antique everything has been very hot the past year, year and a half. But I have seen this come and go before. Prices do cycle along with the economy. The other compounding problem is of course the dollar which has been really weak against the pound and euro. I am looking at stuff going off this week at Hermann Historica thinking, wow how affordable that would be if the dollar was still at parity with the euro like it was 8 years ago! Today however, ouch!
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And also if yu have specific tastes it can be a while before you find the right thing. I am left handed so I usually look for things with a nice simple d-guard or a symetrical hilt. I am also looking more for weapons that have a scabbard with them. When I think of the swords I owned 15 years ago and let slip thru my fingers I could kick myself.
inkothemgard!
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was an eagle I was moaning about last month. I had watched it for several years and was within a month of making a firm commitment. Someone found it, or knew of it and beat me to it

Before that, there had really only been a couple I was sad to see go. One Clauberg sabre (of a rather plentiful genre) with a lot of character and an unknown but very nice 18th century horseman's sabre. Both were should have, could have type speculations at the time. One literally lost to a coin toss as to what I bought that year.

I have balanced that with other buys and harvesting images of swords I find interesting. Although I do cruise Ebay just about daily (or moreso), I see too many swords selling for more than they would be even at a lot of higher priced dealers.
I also find some real bargains at dealers and less looked at auction sites. This just came in here yesterday and would have sold for at least half again the asking price on Ebay
http://usera.imagecave.com/Hotspur/Eagles/Ozzycomp.jpg

The week before Easter, I had found an unwanted (not noticed?) auction on Gun Broker for a dirk. Yes, the poor bird was turned around backwards in the auction photos but pursuing that one led to a local guy and I came home with literally two for less than the price of one.
http://usera.imagecave.com/Hotspur/Eagles/Easter9.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/Hotspur/Other/Both.jpg

So, in a sense, I have soothed over losing out on the one that got away. Attached below, it is a pretty and different one for sure. I hope to find it went to a good home and may even surface again someday.

As to similar artillery swords, they are around and not that expensive. They may not be that one but lots in terrfic shape. Both French and American made examples. They were used both before and after the ACW, thus not terribly uncommon, once you get past Ebay. There have been some fairly idiotic price/bidding wars in that sector lately. Google has yielded many dozens of dealers and their links lists lead to more.

Cheers

GC
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whenever I look up sword dealers outside of Ebay, they seem even more expensive and the weapons are not in as good condition.
inkothemgard!
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
Whenever I look up sword dealers outside of Ebay, they seem even more expensive and the weapons are not in as good condition.

Yes and no. What the dealer prices are often beats the vagaries of auctions. There was a recent example that i cynically gave an Ebay auction estimate of $4,000 because I knew it would get crazy. It closed at $5,700, just because someone wanted it that badly. I see swowrds as nice at dealers for half that. At the same time, a much nicer sword starting at only $300 more than the other's realized price went completely unbid on and was easily three times the sword, even though priced in the stratoshpere. had I the dough, I would have pursued the nicer and more unusual sword.

I would honestly say scout around some more. I don't know what your top dollar for a nice artillery sword is but there are many sound and clean examples priced between $500-$1000. That puts them well in range of many that spend that on medieval reproductions. Another thing even I have a hard time accomplishing is not jumping for something else while waiting to afford the real treasure. Had I not bought my nice eagle spadroon last fall, I would have afforded the one that got away before it dissapeared.

When in doubt, buy books. That is about all I'll be able to think about for buying some time now (ya, right).

Good luck with your quests.

GC
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes I definately am aware of the same problem of wanting to jump at something else while waiting for something more worthwhile. the rub is when something comes along that I really, really, want- than so does everyone else. Sometimes its a split decision about what I want, what I can afford, and what I can win!
inkothemgard!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ebay blues a sad yet sincere venting.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic