Rare Depiction of Painted Sallet(?)
I stumbled on this 15th c. Austrian image during some sallet research. Note the figure at center rear. He appears to be wearing a blued or dark-painted visored sallet/bevor/rondels with triangular stripes (flames?) of a lighter color (I have only a b&w image, unfortunately). He wears matching gauntlets. The figure at far right also wears a dark helmet with similar decoration and a long, articulated tail. I've never seen artistic depictions of painted sallets, so I was excited to see this. Of course, it may simply depict an early step in the development of "black and white" armour. Whatever the case, I'd love to see a good recreation!

Caption info is as follows:

Judaskuss;Gefangennahme Christi

Dieses Bild: 000242

Kunstwerk: Temperamalerei-Holz ; Einrichtung sakral ; Flügelaltar ; Franken , Oberösterreich ; Mt:26:047-056 , Mk:14:043-052 , Lk:22:047-053 , Jo:18:001-011
Dokumentation: 1465 ; 1475 ; Wartberg an der Krems ; Österreich ; Oberösterreich ; Pfarrkirche
Anmerkungen: Wartberg

Attachment: 141.15 KB
sallet.gif

the higgins has a sallet painted with flames. it's missing the visor and the colores have darkened quite a bit, but new made it would have been an awesome sight

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: