Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Proposed ban of ALL swords by October 2008 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Li Jin

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Good morning         Reply with quote

Good morning

HI, I though something new about this propose of banning swords. I have never heard of any street swords fighting in NYC except shootings cases. UK ban the swords because the fights and killing with swords, but only if US did not have any case of swords injury. Every US states have different state laws, perhaps NYC would likely to ban swords, but maybe other states might not be, even Taxes have guns Happy Even today, China only banned a small amount
of knives, and I mean the military knives, and I never heard of any sword killing in China except knives. When I first heard about the sword fighting in UK, I though it was 13 or 14 years old kids fighting with Bokens but I was wrong. At last, Sir
Burns, I still believe that USA would let us keep our own private stuff, even though is a weapon, as long the UK doesn't come to US and tell US if they should ban swords.

Jin
Shayan G

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apologies, I'm not quite sure I understand how this will influence online sales and importation.

If importation of all curved swords was in effect halted, it would be of course very uncomfortable for many, but perhaps it would also result in a burgeoning UK katana-production market or something. That would be exciting, to have new companies. Howe likely that is to happen is another matter.

It looks, however, that if the interpretation of the law is up to the salesmen, there is still a lot of opportunity for obviously responsible martial artists and collectors to obtain swords. While some may stop sales altogether, others will simply keep selling to their original market--respectable law-abiding citizens. At least, I hope so, for our friends' sakes! It looks as if it may just be self selection of the salesmen. The irresponsible salespersons who allow children to buy wallhangers for fighting in the first place will quickly realize their legal liability, or have their businesses shut down, while the responsible salespersons would hopefully continue as they have been.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

You have to be a man, first, before you can be a gentleman!
~the immortal John Wayne
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is not exactly on the same lines as the current thread, but I thought I had to add this one.

I went over to France for a show at the weekend with pretty much my whole stock, amongst which there is enough weaponry to make a Policeman raise an eyebrow or two and I was pulled over at customs on the way out of the UK.

The Customs man asked where I was from, where I was going and then asked if I had any weapons in the car........my heart stopped as with the greyness of the laws in the UK who knows what will happen, but on the basis honesty is probably best I replied 'funny you should ask that, its what I am going to sell'

The first box he opened had wooden plates in, the second had leatherwork and then he told me to go on my way; he didn't even look at any of the weapons I had freely admitted I had, leaving me slightly bemused and relieved.

Maybe I have a loveable face................

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry I was not explicit. I need to point out I was taking nothing illegal out of the UK, it is just faced with authority figures we all get nervous, especially when both you and they are not entirely sure what the law is
www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Mike Lee

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Mike,

Thanks for the info. I found a store opened up here in Soton selling swords in November. When I asked about the ban and how they were told to enforce it they said they were given little real definite information and that they would just stop selling all curves swords period to avoid the confusion no matter if the person had a card or whatnot. Still waiting to hear back from the police department but my chat with the person there those weeks back did not seem to think anything would really change in personal ownership. I guess that is right from what I have seen so far, it is the dealers who now have to figure out this new law.

RPM

This opens up a really sad aspect of the new law. Any shop keeper or trader contacting the Home Office for clarification on what they need to do / what ID they need to see to ensure they are selling within the law will be met with a response of 'It is not Home Office policy to offer legal advice - speak to a solicitor'

Looks like the only way we will ever get to know how this law works in practice in when a few poor traders get charged and we get a bit of case law to base our knowledge on.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.
Francisco Simões

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
Could someone please tell me, as to where this banning is supose to take place?
Thank you
Godspeed

Non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da gloriam
Lawrence Parramore

PostPosted: Thu 24 Apr, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Lee wrote:
Poor old Mr Blatt, he has been having a hard time of it recently.

It's all very well putting the onus on the shopkeeper to satisfy him or herself that a buyer is legitimate under the exemptions noted but 5 minutes with a PC and laminator will provide me with a convincing membership card for whatever society I choose - and should a buyer use a fake card will the shop keeper will still be liable or will they have to prove the deception?

I think this could well be the same as in our beloved 'public houses', I believe you call them 'bars' in the US, if a young person presents false I.D. at a 'Pub' and gains entry, and is at some point discovered by a policeman, then that pub is shut down, even though most would think they had taken sufficient precautions, this has just happened with a 'liquor store' in my home town, so I guess the same system would apply to the sales of swords?

Keep up the good work Mike!

Leo Todeschini, I believe what you did is illegal in France, but not here, you need to have them in a roof rack or a trailer, I have heard many stories from other dealers caught in France.

A great many police are collectors or are involved in the trade in the UK and there are many former police who are dealers so at the grass roots level things might be a lot more sensible than we fear.

Catch Wink
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Proposed ban of ALL swords by October 2008         Reply with quote

And now it's October. Is the sword ban currently imposed in the United Kingdom right now?
Emmet J. McGauran

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can anyone clarify this for me:

I live in the UK and ordered a Ringeck through Albion Europe almost a year ago and still have no idea when it is due to be delivered.

If a ban were to come in before the sword arrives would that affect me (for example would the sword get through customs?)

Thanks,

Emmet.
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd say the answer is yes I know in Ireland if they catch sharpened blades that can be concealed going
through the post they confiscate them there was a news report about it last year (I felt sorry for the people
who ordered those machetes) despite the fact that there is nothing in the law to stop you buying one from
a dealer and no requirment to register the items infact they are only ilegal if you carry them concealed
You might have a better chance if it were deivered by a courier service they normally have their own jets
and breeze through costoms

I hope for you guys in the UK that they dont ban swords because the fact is most of us who collect them
are responsible people who just want to admire the beauty and craftmanship maybe use them in reinactments
cetainly not to go out and murder someone when was I dont recall ever hearing about someone being
murdered with a sword in recent times we certainly hear about people being attacked and murdered with
knives thats a sad fact that we cant ignore but I cant see how you can bundle swords with knives given
that the knives used in these crimes are small and easily hidden from view
Stuart Mackey

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
I live in New Zealand, which is still an English colony, and saturated with contemporary British culture.

I dont wish to be seen to play politics here, but having been to England, and knowing a bit about NZ constitutional law this is really not the case and has not been so legally since 1947 and culturally for many a long year before then.

snip

Quote:
I might also suggest the licensing system they have in place here in NZ. If you want to own a live blade, a firearm, or any form of possibly lethal weapon, you must obtain a license for that grade from the local Police Station. This involves a short interview about safety-related knowledge, a psychological examination and an inspection of your storage facilities (hence my "sword room"...).

Failure to meet all requirements results in not obtaining a license, and the confiscation of your weapons. This is a very fair, effective system, by all accounts. We still have our crazy axe murderers, but very few and far between. This has resulted in our Law Enforcement representatives not needing to carry firearms. They still have access, if absolutely essential, but rely instead on high-voltage units. The news coverage surrounding a single death can sometimes last for weeks on end...

That is the system I would put in place instead of a ban.

With respect to swords in NZ, this is not correct and only applies to firearms, I was able to bring in a modern A&A sword to NZ , no questions asked other than than for the inevitable government goods and services tax. Moreover there is no mention of swords in NZ legislation other than a ban on 'sword canes', presumably because they are a disguised weapon( I have viewed all the relevant legislation on this.). The wearing of swords is subject to the normal NZ restrictions, eg wearing one at a medieval society gathering in public is ok ,but wearing it at a night club gets you arrested for possession of an offensive weapon.
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think there is currently any great similarities between the situation in the UK and the situation in New Zealand.

It has been a few years since I talked to the local arms officer at the central police station, but at the time he had no interest in swords unless people were liable to do something stupid with them or scare people by carrying them in town. He was aware of reenactors and martial arts people, and had no problems about them. Similarly for maces and flails (which are banned in parts of Australia) and crossbows (which are also controlled in various places). In NZ, only guns need to be licensed, and even then individual long weapons are not licensed (that was thrown out about 20 years ago), it is only the person who is licensed. Pistols are much more controlled than long weapons though.

I don't think much has really changed, yet. NZ still operates more on common sense than the US and other places. The most dangerous weapons (handguns) are very controlled, the rarer/less dangerous (close-in use only) weapons are not licensed. NZ has a gang problem like most places, so there is more interest in just who owns certain things like maces and flails, but the preferred weapons for gang flair-ups are guns anyway. In the case of swords, there are incidents, mostly with cheap katanas, but mostly people recognise that the people using them are probably nutters anyway, and it is just as important to keep an eye on the person as it is to control access to weapons.

NZ will probably go down the track of the UK one day, as some politicians feel the need to be seen to be "doing something" about perceived problems, but hopefully that will not be for a while.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No comment. Just a related link.

http://www.royalarmouries.org/programmes/ntk

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Bennison N

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh... OK. That's really interesting...

Y'see, I was told that I had to declare weapons of all types, for many years (since leaving the Army in 1998-99 actually), and simply thought everyone had to. I never even bothered to read the actual text on it.

To be honest, I'd been thinking recently that I'd been really naughty by not declaring a few imports and was considering going in to do it soon. I was even called to report in to update the list of Martial Arts I'd learnt (started in 1995) on the very week Auckland's North Shore Policing Centre opened in 2006. So why are they picking on me? That seems very odd, and something I'm going to have to address and remedy immediately, I think...

I guess if an actual Swordsmith like Peter doesn't have to, than I don't. So I won't... I mean purely in regards to non-powder weapons, of course... I will continue to declare and catalogue firearms as required by NZ law.

Thank you very much for pointing that out to me, you guys... I feel a little stupid, but that's not much different from all the time, really... haha! Brings to mind a popular N.W.A. track of the early nineties...

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just thought I'd clarify the matter slightly for UK sword fans reading this, as this thread could be pretty confusing for new people.

Currently under UK law, if you want to buy a curved single-edged sword, with a blade longer than 50cm, then you need to have 3rd Party Public Liability Insurance related to using swords - such as most martial arts or reenactment groups will have. A seller is legally bound to ask to see proof of this insurance. You can import curved single-edged swords from abroad, but customs will hold the item until you give them your insurance details.

It is NOT illegal to OWN a curved single-edged sword in the UK. You simply need the correct insurance if you want to buy or import them.

There are NO problems with straight swords.

Members of my group have recently imported curved swords with no problems - they just gave their insurance details to Customs. In addition, 'traditionally made' curved single-edged swords are now apparently exempt, as the new law has been amended (already!!).

Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Matt! I called out county police HQ and they sent me to a few people and the last person was nice but had little help to offer. I have downloaded the laws as I can find them online but it is rather confusing.

When they hold them in customs do they contact you or do you need to know how to contact them?

RPM
Ted Parolari

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, I guess I'm showing my American ignorance here, but what is the deal about whether or not a sword is curved, straight, single edged or double edged? Seems to me one no more dangerous than the other.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suppose they went specifically against curved swords because in majority of the cases attacks were made using cheap replicas od katanas. Last I was in San Marino you could get those starting from 10 euro and everywhere else in Europe they are easilly avaliable at bit higher but still very low prices. European swords are usually more expensive, besides, thanks to popular culture katana is often associated with semi-criminal things. Entire idea is compleatelly ridiculous of course - to same effect you could ban chess because some chess enthusiast would have used game board to hit his coleague after loosing a game...
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Randall, yes they send you a letter telling you what they are holding and asking for proof of insurance/club membership. If there are import duties to pay then they include that in the same letter. Once you've replied it takes about another 2/3 weeks to recieve your item.

To the others: Yes they only banned curved single-edged swords over 50cm because initially they just wanted to ban the sale of katanas, but they could not agree on a legally-enforcable definition of a katana. Swords have only been used in a tiny percentage of 'knife' crime in the UK (kitchen knives make the vast majority - sword I believe are less than 1%), but when swords have been used in high profile cases they often seem to have been wall-hanger katanas. And even when they were not wall-hanger katanas, the newpapers reported them as being 'Samurai swords' anyway. One recent news article said the weapon used was a "9 inch Samurai sword". This made us laugh a lot. I just hope I don't get stopped and search while carrying my "6 inch Medieval Barbarian Death Spear" (AKA pencil).

This law has already been relaxed slightly since coming into effect (to allow 'traditionally made' curved swords to be sold without legislation) and I have not seen any suggestions of them expanding it to cover other edged weapons.
It seems they got what they wanted, and luckily for us, it doesn't really effect us except for having to write a letter or tell a seller our insurance number.

Matt

Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/
Kimon Andreou

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Easton wrote:
....and luckily for us, it doesn't really effect us except for having to write a letter or tell a seller our insurance number.

Yeah but what I have difficulty with is, why do you, a law abiding (I assume), free citizen have to jump through those hoops...
Since the precedent is set, what's to stop the legislature from enacting a new law requiring a separate permit for each knife/sword/pointy stick or beyond?
Especially if there's a high profile case of a nutjob going crazy with a "ninja sword"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Proposed ban of ALL swords by October 2008
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: