Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is this sabre worth anything? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Toni R.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Is this sabre worth anything?         Reply with quote

Hello.

I would like to get some opinions about this item, that is auctioned here in Finland.

http://www.huuto.net/fi/showitem.php3?itemid=73968351

Starting bid isn't too bad. I'm no expert with these kind of swords...so what I would like to know is, that if this sword is a tourist-piece-of-...., or an actual antique sword.

To me it looks like it might well be at least worth for that 50-60€ it seems to be sold at the moment.

Any information is welcome...thank you in advance.

-T
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: sword         Reply with quote

Your sword is an Indian Tulwar. It may be an antique, but it may perhaps be no more than 40-50 years old. I have a 200 year old Tulwar and it looks much "older" than your pictured sword. I only paid $100 US for mine on eBay, and I could have gotten it for as low as $75. Hope this helps. Happy
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Toni,
This sword, in my opinion, is a very modern Indian made tourist type sword in the style of a Tulwar, inferior steel and poorly made, as far as value is concerned it depends on your point of view and is purely a personal matter.
Regards,
Norman.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Norman McCormick wrote:
Hi Toni,
This sword, in my opinion, is a very modern Indian made tourist type sword in the style of a Tulwar, inferior steel and poorly made, as far as value is concerned it depends on your point of view and is purely a personal matter.
Regards,
Norman.

Ah, I had one exactly like it sometime around 1967 ( Best guess of when I bought it may be at EXPO 67 in Montréal at a souvenir shop set up at that international exposition).

Everything from style of hilt to stitching on the back of the velvet covering of the scabbard looked the same.

Definitely a " touristy " sword and may be the sort of thing Windlass or some similar company made in those days.

The steel seemed medium hard probably something around 40 R.C. to 45 R.C. ( Very much guessing here and from memory it was easy to sharpen with a file. Don't remember doing any flex testing though ! ).

The hilt was plated a silvery colour originally but was brass underneath.

The sword probably cost me between $15 to $25 dollars at the time ( With inflation the price in 2008 dollars this might be closer to $100 ??? ) I don't remember exactly what it cost but at that time my allowance was something like a dollar a day and when I was over $20 to $30 in savings I felt very rich and anything over $20 would have meant breaking the piggy bank. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is this sabre worth anything?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic