For Sale: A&A Durer Bastard Sword
This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

This sword was purchased for use as a working martial arts tool; as such it is no longer "new", though IMO it's still actually in very good condition. Also, when the sword was originally received from A&A, there were some cosmetic flaws, but, again since this was intended as a working tool, I wasn't concerned about them. All flaws are purely aesthetic; the sword is still in a perfectly functional condition. Aside from two test-cutting sessions, it has been used exclusively for flouryshes, and has otherwise hung on my wall.

New, this sword would cost $660 + $85 for the sheath + $32 for shipping.
Asking price: $500 (which includes the sheath) + $15 shipping (which is about what it cost me to ship it back to A&A for the new grip)

Accepted method of payment: Money order or cashier's check (sorry, no Paypal)

Blade Length: 36 1/8"
Grip Length (not including pommel): 8 1/2"
Pommel: ~2" diameter
Cross Guard: 9" X 1/2"
Weight: 2lbs, 15oz.
Includes black leather sheath

Since I bought it, it has needed to be re-gripped. The current grip seems very secure, although it lacks the bottle-neck shape shown on the A&A website. There is some glue around the rim at the cross.

It has been used once against tatami mats, and so there are few minor scratches in the blade polish, which even I have a hard time finding, and I know they're there.

It was used once against a steel buckler, so there are two spots where the edge is no longer sharp (pictured below). The edge is not deformed along the profile. One spot is 5/8" and one is 3/8" long.

There is one definite scratch on either side of the blade near the point (pictured below). One is 2 3/4" and one is 3 1/4" long.

The pommel shows some dings (pictured below) and the cross some scratches from being transported with other swords.

The cross has one stain that had once been rust (and cleaned off), but now appears to be just a stain (pictured below). It also has some file marks.

The most significant flaw in the sword is the hilt. Although the hilt is perfectly secure and functional, the pommel and pommel nut are off-center. Also, due to being re-gripped, the new grip is not entirely parallel with the blade (pictured below). The original grip was straight, so this is entirely due to the new grip. The hilt was not bent from use. The sword was shipped from A&A this way, but since they were purely aesthetic issues, they didn't concern me.

David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN

Attachment: 131.35 KB
Full length profile [ Download ]

Attachment: 131.7 KB
Stain on the cross [ Download ]

Attachment: 143.28 KB
Pommel [ Download ]

Attachment: 125.65 KB
Scratch on tip. The other scratch looks identical [ Download ]

Attachment: 121.68 KB
The edge damage. Two spots, really close together [ Download ]

Attachment: 148.8 KB
Profile closeup of the edge where the damage occurred. [ Download ]

Attachment: 108.22 KB
The hilt as seen from one side [ Download ]

Attachment: 147.01 KB
The hilt as seen from the other side. [ Download ]

Bump and price drop.

$475 which now includes shipping to the Continental US.

David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN

Bump.

Reasonable offers also considered.
Sorry, no trades. I need the money to help pay for school.

David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN

David:

I might be interested in this as a project sword--new grip, polish, etc.--if I can sell a couple of pieces from my own collection. May I ask a few questions here so I and other prospective buyers will know what kind of work we can expect to do?

My main concern is the status of the tang. Reckoning from your photo, it looks like the center of the pommel nut is approximately .5" out of alignment with the center line of the blade. Is that correct?

Have you ever seen the bare tang, and if so did you notice where the bend is? I ask because I'm guessing that a bend near the pommel would be easier to correct than a bend near the cross.

Did you have the piece re-gripped by A&A, and if so did you or they mention the alignment problem?

Is it possible to get a flat, close profile photo of the areas of blade damage? Your edge view appears to show a deep bite out of the edge (reground?) but I'm not sure I'm seeing the damage in your oblique, wider shot of that area.

Thanks!

Disregard my last question above. You already indicated that the damage is not visible in profile.

Sean,

Yes, the pommel nut is off center. As near as I can tell, it's about 3/8", give or take.

No, I have never seen the bare tang, so I don't know the nature of the bend. I assume it was done during the manufacture, because it was like that when I first received it, and it hasn't struck anything rigid enough to cause a bend. So, while the tang itself may actually be bent from a previously straight condition, the steel may never have been straight to begin with. I hope I made that sound clear.

Yes, it was regripped by A&A. Yes, I mentioned the pommel in the initial email to them, but again, since it was an aesthetic and not a functional flaw, I didn't press the issue when it wasn't corrected.

I tried to get a close profile picture of the blade where the damage occured, but was having difficulty getting clear photos. There is a close shot of the blade where the damage occured in the initial post, though the angle isn't perfectly flat. I'll try and get a clearer photo within the next few days, but there really is minimal deformation along the blade profile.

Hope that helps.
thanks
David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN

Sold pending payment

David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN

Sold! Thank you, Sean.

David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN