Sneak Peek- CAS/H's prototype EMS
Here are the first pics of the prototype of the 'Sharp' version of CAS/Hanwei's Early Medieval Sword (EMS) The 'blunt is still not polished and mounted so no pics yet...

The sword has my strandard sort of take-down hilt

Naturally it started raining the instant that I started taking pictures...

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Oakeshott Type: XII
OAL: 38-1/2 inches
Blade Length: 31-3/4 inches
Blade Width @ Base: 2-3/16 inches
Blade Width 3 inch from point: 1 inch
Blade thickness at base: .250 inch
Blade thickness 1 inch from tip: 3/64 inch
Distal taper is Complex
Hilt OAL: 6-7/8 inches
COG: 4 inches from base of blade
BNoV (Blade Node of Vibration): 21-1/2 inches from base of blade
Primary Hilt Node: On handle at cross*
*(Impossible to establish with certainty- sword displays Complex Variable Harmonics)
Weight: 2lb7oz.

No, I don't know the final price but expect it to be between $290-320US Either sharp or blunt.

Yes, I expect that at some point a 'premium' version with a butt-riveted pommel may be offerred.

Comments?
Loving them. Will likely drop my student returns on a blunt.

M.
A nice looking sword Michael. Looks very promising.

Am I correct in assuming that when you say "butt-riveted" pommel, you mean a peened pommel assembly? Personally, I don't care for any of the "take down" hilted swords on the market, whether yours or Atrims. I know they are convienent for those that do a lot of cutting and need to disassemble for maintenance, but the ahistorical hex key breakdown is a deal breaker for me. Just my personal taste.

On the other hand, I would be very interested in a historically constructed hilt assembly piece and will wait till you add that offering.

I wish you much success with your new line.

Terry
Yep, I mean peened pommel. The customer, in this case CAS/H, specified take-down construction so take-down it is. Like I said, hopefully there will be a peened pommel later, this would only require a minor modification to the mold. Email CAS/H that you would like a peened pommel, That will help too!
Certainly another interesting part of an interesting trend.
For the majority of sub $300 I don't think anal attention to historical accuracy is going to be a hindrance. It certainly hasn't damaged CAS Hanwei's sales to date, and these models are light years ahead as is.

I personally support the take down construction for several reasons:
a. I enjoy heat blueing the hilt components - best done unassembled.
b. I enjoy regripping my swords - both the wrap and the wood.
c. A sub $300 is very likely to be used in cutting water bottles, and with the fuller under guard design water ingress can be monitored and halted as part of regular maintenence.
d. Stage users can inspect for cracks in a tang / shoulder before each use, avoiding potential danger.
e. Again on customisation - the hilt components can be modified / ground or swapped at leisure.

Just my 2c for you and Blake, Michael. But you already knew those points, didn't you?

Nice sword BTW. Very exciting times.
Looks quite nice....when are these expected to be available?
Thanks,
Dan
Hi Michael,

I agree with Bren. One of the beauties of a sword like this is it can be a work in process. One could buy the sword, play with it for a while then customize the hilt in any number of ways and, if not satisfied, redo it. I've actually been looking for something very like this. I would prefer to have a sword like this with an easily demountable hilt.

Thanks,

Ken Speed
Very nice looking. I like the take down as well, but I wish there was a historically good looking way of doing it. :\
I do, however, really-really dislike the leather grip's look. I would be on that like fire on mummies if I break down and get one.
It's like steelies on an Accura... just detracts from the over all effect. First thing to mod I guess. ;)
keep up the good work!
Here are the sharp and the blunt together...
Here is the new Early Medieval Sword Prototype for CAS/H. This is the hand-made prototype by me. Very lively sword with either blade, and the handling of the two blades is very similar. The blunt uses a broad, flat fuller to move mass towards the edges allowing a 1.5mm rounded edge. At this time it is believed that these swords will cost somewhere around $275-325 USD and will be provided with a wood-core leather covered scabbard with a metal locket and chape. If enough people email CAS/H indicating an interest in having peened-tang period style construction a version might be produced with that feature. These still need to be approved and have production prototypes made for my approval so it is likely to be several months before these become available.

Specs- Sharp (blunt)
Oakeshott Type: XII (n/a)
OAL: 38-1/2 inches (38-1/8")
Blade Length: 31-3/4 inches (31-3/8")
Blade Width @ Base: 2-3/16 inches (same)
Blade Width 3 inch from point: 1 inch (13/16")
Blade thickness at base: .250 inch (same)
Blade thickness 1 inch from tip: 3/64 inch (1/16")
Distal taper is Complex (Straight)
Hilt OAL: 6-7/8 inches (same)
COG: 4 inches from base of blade (4-1/8")
BNoV (Blade Node of Vibration): 21-1/2 inches from base of blade (22")
Primary Hilt Node: On handle at cross* (same)
*(Impossible to establish with certainty- sword displays Complex Variable Harmonics)
Weight: 2lb8oz. (same)

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Will it ever be likely that we could buy just the blade? Then customers could buy one, then the other blade/scabbard and switch them out. Or use this to replace damaged blunt blades.

Though on the other hand, savings might not be so great.

M.
M. Eversberg II wrote:
Will it ever be likely that we could buy just the blade? Then customers could buy one, then the other blade/scabbard and switch them out. Or use this to replace damaged blunt blades.

M.

This is a marketing decision that is out of my hands. I guess it will boil down to what people want...
M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

For the blunt blade, absolutely! We've also been kicking around offering the sharp as a stand alone... not sure on that. I do not have pricing on the bare blades yet, unfortunately.

The scabbard however may not fit both blades (the prototypes from Hanwei don't). So there is that caveat.

Blake

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: