Feather Types
Does anyone have any suggestions on good feathers for fletching that don't cost a fortune?

Thanks
Fletching feathers
I think I've heard that duck feathers were favored, with a funny myth that chicken feathers were no good becasue chickens don't fly. :D
Turkey Feathers work fairly well.......find a turkey farm or slaughterhouse......they should have some wing feathers.
Dan
Turkey feathers. I like the barred variety but the white bird feathers are OK too.
well depending on how much you care about period authenticity i found that store bought fletching wasn't too expensive. and there already cut too shape.
Just remember to get all right wings or left wings when you buy them or get the wings from the slaughter house.
I got a big bag of white turkey wing feathers from Matoska Trading Company:

http://www.matoska.com/cgibin/gencat.cgi?AC=g...S2=53%2C31

Use the scroll menu at left to find other options.

Matoska is a good source for brass tacks, too (all you targe makers).
Re: Feather Types
Chistof C. wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on good feathers for fletching that don't cost a fortune?

Thanks

See my Email to you or post under "fletching"

Jack
I do have one ??? Why are you using OAK shafts, ??

Jack
Re: Feather Types
Chistof C. wrote:

Thanks

I have made and fletched my own arrows in the past. The cheapest fletching to use is turkey. You can buy them in bulk already cut from 3 rivers archery at a very reasonable price. Medieval Europeans however used goose feathers which I have not found a good source for. In my opinion turkey feathers work just as well.
Jack W. Englund wrote:
I do have one ??? Why are you using OAK shafts, ??

Jack

Yea, that's all I could find, why?
Chase the geese around a city park! you should scare a few feathers off them.....When I was 26 and living in lawton oklahoma I was experiencing ahorrible economic situation and was very close to physical danger due to lack of food (pride would not allow me to do the soup kitchen thing or govt handout....Most likely as a single white male with no physical or mental problems, I wouldnt qualify for anything anyway)... Anyways, I took my last pack of romulan noodles and made a noose out of some fishing line and a club and went to the park across the street that had a pond.....20 eternally long minutes later i was headed back home with a canadian goose under my jacket and drool running down my chin. This,undoubtedly, was one of the finest meals I ever had in my life!
The recipe 1 plucked city goose

1 package romulan noodle broth(chicken)

2 packages each red pepper and parmesian cheez (cannot in honesty call it cheese)

hanful of liquid creamer packs

handfull of petrified pizza crust

Chop pizza bones up add cheez and dairy creamer along with chopped gizzard and liver

salt and pepper said dressing to taste stuff bird

sprinkle soup base on bird....roast at 350 2 hours(seemed like 2 years) devour and fall into protein coma :cool:
My group uses goose feathers for our home-fletched arrows, and they work great. Sure you cut them yourself, but our fletcher/bowyer doesn't find that to be a pain at all. I think that the added authenticity is well worth having to scrounge them up--just find a goose farmer or someone that slaughters them.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: