Christian Fletcher customized AT1313 (Type XIIa)
Greetings,

I must admit I hesitate to post these here since I know there's a real trend toward historical authenticity and this blade deviates toward fantasy in small way. However, I'm so thrilled about it I have to share!

I picked up this AT1313 from the classifieds a while back - I also have an AT1433 (Type XVIa) that I bought directly from Gus 2 years ago (the review here was in large part responsible for doing that). However, I loved the look and feel of the 1313 so much that I decided it was the one to be upgraded. (Honestly the "war sword" that is the 1433 looks better to me with a utilitarian look anyway).

Here's a "before" pick:

Here's a very rough sketch I sent to help describe what I was looking to do. I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the pommel and crossguard and Christian was patient with me there as I asked about different options. You can also see the fantasy element here - runes inscribed in the fuller. I know a Latin inscription would be much more appropriate given the typology, but I just like the look of the runes. Also, I didn't want an inscription relating to any particular religion.

I sent the sword off at the end of December and Christian has been updating me with pictures as the work progresses (you can see all the progress pictures if you're interested). Yesterday I received an e-mail that the work was finished. Here's the final product:

One thing Christian thankfully questioned me about during the process was the placement of the grip ring on the hilt - when I drew the rough sketch, I just sort of placed it where it looked OK but it was really too close to the crossguard and Christian moved it back toward the pommel.

Here's a close up of the new hilt:

And a close up of the runes (on one side - they're different on the other side as you can see in the sketch):

Now I just can't wait to see it in person. :-)
Well, for what it is worth, I think it looks great. I like the runes, I like the scabbard, all in all it is a good looking sword.
Oh, this is a beautiful sword! Nice proportions and a pleasant design. Looks practical enough without being boring. A fine piece of work, all in all. :)
What a handsome sword. Christian does such great work, looks like another winner here. Enjoy it!
This is a beautiful sword. I love the polish...did CF do that?

Also, if you don't mind, what do the runes say?
Thanks for the kind words - I'm really happy with how it all turned out, just can't wait to hold it. :)

Michael Edelson wrote:
This is a beautiful sword. I love the polish...did CF do that?

Also, if you don't mind, what do the runes say?

As far as I know Christian didn't do any polishing (I didn't ask for it) - this blade has always had a kind of "watery" looking finish to me, whereas my AT1433 has much more of a satin look.

Here's another view of the blade in its original state when Christian started:

The runes on the side showing say *Trueblade* (spelled phonetically, as I believe was supposed to be done with runes of this type, so more like Trublad with the silent e's dropped). The other side (not pictured says "Truth*Light." I don't really name my swords, but this one got the name Trueblade since it was getting gussied up. :)
D. Hager wrote:

As far as I know Christian didn't do any polishing (I didn't ask for it) - this blade has always had a kind of "watery" looking finish to me, whereas my AT1433 has much more of a satin look.

Are you certain? As far as I know, Gus never polishes his fullers. Did you buy the sword second hand?
Michael Edelson wrote:
D. Hager wrote:

Are you certain? As far as I know, Gus never polishes his fullers. Did you buy the sword second hand?

No, I'm not certain - I just didn't ask for any polishing, Christian didn't mention it and I hadn't heard that that was a normal part of his service. The polish on this one has always looked better than my other AT1433) - I just can't tell in this lighting if it's even better than it was before. :). I've sent a note to ask Christian if he did any polishing on it.

Yes - I bought it second hand; I mentioned in the first post that I picked it up from the classifieds and bout the 1433 directly from Gus. The seller said that it was still in the same condition in which he received it.

I'll let you know when I hear back from Christian - I wouldn't be surprised if he cleaned up the fuller given his great level of service, but I wasn't expecting it either. :)
Christian responded to my inquiry - he did not do any additional polishing. I'll try to get some pictures under different light sources when it arrives.
Awesome stuff.

M.
My sword has arrived
My sword arrived on Friday afternoon, though it's been raining and snowing here with little light for pictures - and my very poor photography needs all the help it can get.

Here's the sword when I first opened it:

A view in the sunlight (and light snow) in its scabbard:

And out of its scabbard:

One with its proud owner (sorry the clothes and hat are not period - my, uh, other suit of armor is being cleaned?):

And here are the best close ups I could get of the polish for Michael - I couldn't get a great picture; either the flash caused a glare or there wasn't enough light with the flash off.

I'm thrilled with the sword - the only downside is that I doubt I'll ever cut with it again. :) Christian's reputation is well deserved - the fit and finish are perfect. I spent several minutes just admiring the locket and chape on the scabbard - they both appear seamless. The sword feels even better in the hand (I really like the twine under leather better than the plain leather wrap it previously had) and the balance feels unchanged to me - really good blade "presence" but quick (I'm 6'3" and it feels good one handed).

Just wanted to share my joy. :)

-Danny
With risk of repeating myself, that is one very awesome sword. Indeed I envy thee greatly, Sir Hager. ;)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: