Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question on an Albion NexGen... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, thanks for the informative response as always. Do you think a future XIII could be designed on a shortened "Duke" blade, or would a new blade be appropriate?

Regards,
Brian M
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Peter, thanks for the informative response as always. Do you think a future XIII could be designed on a shortened "Duke" blade, or would a new blade be appropriate?

Regards,
Brian M

A new blade I would say. Too good an opportunity not to make the most of Big Grin
Again, these are just dreams on this stage, but it might turn out to happen one fine day.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Indeed...         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Regarding the Ritter:
The intitial idea for this sword was to make something along the line of those swords that show charactersitics of both XIII(b) and XI. We can see these in Illuminations and some originals do survive. Oakeshott´s typology allowes for some margin in the classification. Oakeshott himself changed the classification of some swords between publications. Some very similar swords have also been placed in two, or even three different groups.

Definitely a nifty combination, Peter.

Peter Johnsson wrote:

I have a soft spot for those blades with wide and thin points: they tend to be very good cutters. It is a feature that is interesting to make the most of. To make the blade managable you need to work with distal taper and width, depth and length of fuller. Just where the blade finally ends up regarding the typoligical classification is less an issue to me than making sure it will preform well. I want it to express the character of similar historical blades I´ve seen, and these are, as we know, not originally made with the Oakeshott typology in mind....Wink

I'm rather fond of the dedicated cutters myself. I'm still drooling over the Tritonia, which stands to be the only thing that could prevent me from purchasing a Ritter (decisions, decisions...). You bring up a very good point. Some of us who obsess over classification actually miss the point of the product itself. It's a personal mantra of mine to "never judge a sword unless you've given it a good swing" and to try to squeeze everything into an Oakeshott type (as well-written as it may be) is to miss the point of the sword.

Peter Johnsson wrote:

The grip of the ritter will not be very long, some 4 inches or thereabout. If the grip is too long the width of the pommel will begin to be a problem: you need to grasp it with the pommel close to the heel of the hand or it might start digging into your wrist. It is also possible to grasp it as you would a viking sword of course, with the pommel resting in the base of your hand.

That makes a lot of sense. I was sort of wondering what a pommel of those dimensions would do on a longer hilt. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks for your input on the topic, Peter. It's very much appreciated.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, Jeremiah, I didn't mean to sound like "the Oakeshott Nazi." Big Grin

I like the Tritonia also. But I will probably end up getting the "Chieftain" first, which uses the Duke blade.

Brian M

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question on an Albion NexGen...
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: