Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weapons and arms of Germanic Tribesmen circa 1 AD Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not familar with that book. Who is the Author?
Can you remember which bog find it was?

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
Michael Matthys

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arne,
The book's author is J. Christoph Amberger. Published by Multi-Media Books in 1999. Pages 180 to 185 refer to these wooden weapons. I'll quote what it says about where they were found:
"During excavations at the Grosses Moor between Damme and Hunteburg in Lower Saxony - about 10 km distance from Kalkriese ... several long wooden artifacts were found in August 1992 ..."
It goes on to say that there was a newspaper article in the 'Welt am Sonntag' on March 16th 1997.
I don't think the book says where they are now but it does say that they were sent to '... Schleswig for restoration and conservation '.
I can't tell you more than that. I hope it gives you an idea of whereabouts they were found. My knowledge of German geography can't take me further than 'north west Germany not too far from the North Sea coast'.
It's quite an interesting book in several respects.
Cheers.
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kalkriese is the place where Varus and his legions met their end, that might give you a better idea of the location.

The conservation was most likely done at "Schloß Gottorf" in Schleswig.

Thanks. Happy

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's quite unlikely that the wooden swords were weapons.

I know of a Dutch find as well: a wooden short sword with a runic inscription. One theory is that it is a badge of a messenger.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
The point of the discussion as it pertains to the Teutoberg massacre is that the archeological forensic evidence seems to be in some disagreement with the accepted idea of the arms the proto -Germanic tribesmen were carrying.

Then perhaps the "accepted ideas" need some re-examination! Wink

Considering the flood of recent scholarship about how (much more) Romanized the Germanic "barbarians" were during the last couple of centuries of the Roman Empire's existence (counting the West, not the Byzantine) than we originally thought, I can't help wondering about how much more Romanized the older "barbarians" were, too. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if somebody unearthed some evidence that Arminius and a fair proportion of his men already had Roman equipment (and perhaps some training) to begin with!
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette suggested,"Then perhaps the "accepted ideas" need some re-examination! Wink"

Yes, I agree.

Lafayette continued, "Considering the flood of recent scholarship about how (much more) Romanized the Germanic "barbarians" were during the last couple of centuries of the Roman Empire's existence (counting the West, not the Byzantine) than we originally thought, I can't help wondering about how much more Romanized the older "barbarians" were, too. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if somebody unearthed some evidence that Arminius and a fair proportion of his men already had Roman equipment (and perhaps some training) to begin with!"

Well, my understanding is that Arminius and his men were Roman Auxiliaries so I would think they would almost certainly have had Roman weapons. Adrian Murdoch in his book Rome's Greatest Defeat says that auxiliary forces were used by the Romans either as lightly armed infantry or as cavalry and it appears likely that Arminius' force was cavalry inasmuch as they were the vanguard and scouts for Varus' legions. Sort of like having Sitting Bull scouting for Custer!

The evidence about "proto German" weaponry seems somewhat muddy. Murdoch mentions a grave found in Luxembourg in 1966 that dates from between 25 and 15 BC. The grave contained, a long iron sword, elaborately decorated scabbard, riding equipment and a bronze cauldron all of which were wholly native and yet the grave also contained Roman tableware. So at least some of these tribesmen had swords of their own local manufacture although they were "Romanized" to some degree as well. My best guess as it pertains to to the Teutoberg Massacre is that the tribesmen panicked the Romans and as they killed them used the Legionaries swords against the survivors although some may have had swords of their own.

I think the whole thing is fascinating, world history would have been totally different had the Legions gone through Teutoberg Wald and not been destroyed.

I've mentioned these two books before but, if you're interested ROME'S GREATEST DEFEAT by Adrian Murdoch and THE QUEST FOR THE LOST ROMAN LEGIONS by Tony Clunn (the man who found the battlesite) are both well worth reading.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe it's nitpicking, but I think that the term "Romanised" is used a little bit too freely in this discussion.

Using Roman weapons and perhaps having gleaned some strategies does not make them "Romanised" in the same way as, for instance, Gaul or Sicily were Romanised. In my opinion, it is clear that Germania retained it's own separate culture, including in some ways material culture.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, in this discussion we're talking primarily about the weaponry used by the pre-German tribesmen who participated in the Teutoberg Massacre and there appears to be a disconnect between the forensic evidence and the literary record about the arms of the tribesmen. It appears that the remains of the Romans who died there indicate that many of them were apparently killed with swords and yet the tribesmen were supposedly armed primarily with javelins. So when we're talking about romanisation we are talking about the use of swords rather than javelins. The degree to which the tribesmen of this area assimilated Roman culture is secondary.
Len Parker

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scroll down to p.29 for wooden swords: https://faos.ku.dk/ansatte/?pure=files%2F118391302%2F2007_Grane_PhD_dissertation.pdf
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 27 Nov, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Len Parker wrote:
Scroll down to p.29 for wooden swords: https://faos.ku.dk/ansatte/?pure=files%2F118391302%2F2007_Grane_PhD_dissertation.pdf

Could those be "beaters" for weaving? For tapping down and straightening the rows of thread as they are woven on the loom. The pointed ends would seem to vote against that, though... Dunno! It's possible that weaving beaters are well-studied items and don't look like that, I only know they existed.

Matthew
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Fri 27 Nov, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
Len Parker wrote:

Could those be "beaters" for weaving? For tapping down and straightening the rows of thread as they are woven on the loom. The pointed ends would seem to vote against that, though... Dunno! It's possible that weaving beaters are well-studied items and don't look like that, I only know they existed.

Matthew
That is an excellent question Matthew! Every Bronze Age and Iron Age woman and girl had a 'sword' for beating the weft fibres upwards, but only a few Iron Age people had swords for fighting, and you can learn to fight perfectly well with a stick. The context at Bohlenweg XXV does sound more "war club" than "beater" but I will keep asking this question when I read about wooden swords from ancient sites!

Figure 12 on page 29 also looks like a tool for processing flax called a scutching knife which apparently most Swedish and Norwegian farmhouses had in the 18th and 19th century.

www.bookandsword.com
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 27 Nov, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heck, I'd forgotten about scutching knives! Yes, anyone processing flax *or hemp* would have one (or more). I *believe* England was importing a lot of canvas from Scandinavia in the 18th century, and that comes from hemp (before it became a cotton word). But I don't know if hemp was common in Scandinavia in ancient times.

Matthew
Jeff Cierniak

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wouldn't entirely discount even wooden "swords" actually being weapons. The paper mentions "cut marks from use in battle" though there is no way for the author to know that without question. It also mentions Tacitus stating that most of the Germanic warriors didn't have steel weapons.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't want to be hit by one either. Elbows, wrists, open faces of most Roman helmets would be plenty good targets for a one handed, semi-edged club. Could a wooden sword "catch" sharp iron blades like a shield might? Pure conjecture, admittedly.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Cierniak wrote:
It also mentions Tacitus stating that most of the Germanic warriors didn't have steel weapons.

Tacitus actually said: "Even iron is by no means abundant with them”. The Germans had less iron than the Romans but what iron they did have was used for weapons.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Cierniak wrote:
I wouldn't entirely discount even wooden "swords" actually being weapons. The paper mentions "cut marks from use in battle" though there is no way for the author to know that without question. It also mentions Tacitus stating that most of the Germanic warriors didn't have steel weapons.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't want to be hit by one either. Elbows, wrists, open faces of most Roman helmets would be plenty good targets for a one handed, semi-edged club. Could a wooden sword "catch" sharp iron blades like a shield might? Pure conjecture, admittedly.

I doubt it. We have many images of clubs, and they look like clubs. There are even surviving war clubs from the Bronze Age, two different styles which are nothing like swords. A wooden "sword" would be less effective than a purpose-made club, as well as FAR less effective than a metal sword.

As Dan says, the Germans *did* have iron, so there were certainly some iron weapons. But for those lacking metal, we also have many surviving examples of things like bone spearheads. So there was no reason to resort to a wooden sword.

But thinking about it more, we do know the Romans trained with wooden swords, and such artifacts have been found. They *look* like swords, whereas weaving beaters and scutching knives don't have to--they don't need guards or pommels or points, for instance. So I'm wondering if some of these wooden items, if they have a close visual parallel to known iron weapons, could simply be training weapons? We don't know anything for sure about Germanic or Celtic training for war, but there are clear accounts of solid tactics on the battlefield, and I don't think we can rule out weapons training of some sort. I would be surprised if it was the daily intensity the Romans maintained, but it wouldn't have to be that much to be beneficial. And that would also account for any "battle damage" to the artifacts.

Matthew
Jeff Cierniak

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I certainly considered the training weapons angle as well. They do look like weapons with points, curves, and grip shapes. I was considering more something like that, and "pressed into service" if needed rather than made and chosen for the purpose of battle. I just don't like the "ceremonial use" angle that is so often brought up when folks are unsure of something. Then again, maybe it was ceremonial use!
Len Parker

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Viking weaver's sword: http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/category/medieval/page/20

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weapons and arms of Germanic Tribesmen circa 1 AD
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: