Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to find point of balance versis center of percussion. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:

The end result? In my view, just that there would be quite a bit of variety in viewpoint....... add in passion and it could be quite a mix.........

Not to mention a good time over food and drink Happy

Angus Trim wrote:
there's still as much art in swordmaking as science...... just as there is in swordsmanship........ {this is before you add in passion}

Truer words my friend.

I do not think anyone would be happy if we threw all the old out or if we said all was set in stone now and can not change. That would be sword fundamentalism and their is no creativity in that.

Change in terminology for a community takes time and contemplation. I would not advocate redoing finished material at this point as the consideration of the whole is evolving and as this occurs there will be new insights and possibly reconsideration of ideas we have stated in our discussion. I think the documenting of some real world examples of the characteristics we are discussing will be important as well as exchange of ideas and writing these out and listening to our own and others critiques of these ideas. As Gus has stated so elegantly we are in the discovery process of using modern science to view the art and craft of an empirically designed object. There will always be a translation occurring in that process and to embrace that element is part of the excitement one feels as we increase our understanding and appreciation for the mastery the period smiths demonstrated in their craft.

I think we are in an exciting part of the process of understanding what makes a sword a sword.

Best
Craig

PS Cool article on the bells Jared

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to find point of balance versis center of percussion.
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: