Raven Armories Gladius
I recently had a gladius by Raven Armories enter my care while I do some work for it. Thought you might be interested in some pictures, I know the owner is... :)

Interesting thing about this piece I thought was the edge bevel at the tip. I'll of course be doing a full review when I complete the project.
WOW. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
A beautiful sword. It looks very much like the one that sold recently on Ebay for between $300-400. (I ogled the ebay photos extensively while it was up for auction. :D )
I believe it is in fact the same sword Carl. It's easily the nicest Gladius I've seen.
*sigh* -- Makes me feel like a dolt for being at work at the end of bidding. No way to bid from my desk at the time.
I was hoping too that someone could comment on that tip bevel. I've never seen it before and wondered if it was accurate or not. I guess I need to hunt up Hugh Fuller.
Hi Russ,

That tip bevel looks like a really accelerated distal taper from the end of the leaf-swell to the point. I've never seen anything like it before. Please let us know if you find anything out about it.

Bob
It looks to be based on the Berry-Bouy "Mainz" pattern gladius, discussed in the Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies #8.
Here's a link to Erik Stevenson's interpretation of this sword: http://www.phoenixmetalcreations.com/roman_swords.html
Yes, I'm just wondering if that bevel is a Raven interpretation or if there's some precedent to it. It is very attractive by the way not knocking it at all. Dave you don't happen to have that book do you?
Russ Ellis wrote:
Yes, I'm just wondering if that bevel is a Raven interpretation or if there's some precedent to it. It is very attractive by the way not knocking it at all. Dave you don't happen to have that book do you?

Nope, unfortunately I don't.....

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: