Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identify this Windlass sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joshua Acker

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Identify this Windlass sword?         Reply with quote

I picked up this windlass sword less than a year ago from their flagship store.

I have since replaced the crappy hardwood handle with something a little bit more suited for use.

http://www.bunnyworkshop.com/armour/sword%20001.jpg

http://www.bunnyworkshop.com/armour/sword%20004.jpg

http://www.bunnyworkshop.com/armour/sword%20003.jpg

Soooo.... anyone know what they call this model number? I really like the way it handles and it's killed a large number of helpless buddy bottles and milk jugs.

-Josh

cowards die a thousand deaths
Dan P

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If my guess is on the mark, I'd say it was this Windlass model, still being sold at KoA:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~5009...lchion.htm
They call it the "Foot Soldier's Falchion" and describe it as, basically, a sidearm for an infantryman alongside his larger 2-handed weapon.
I've been looking at this one for a while and thinking about getting it, but there are so many other things on the list and comparatively less time and money.[/u]
Joshua Acker

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: yeah!         Reply with quote

Thanks a ton! You hit it right on the mark. Believe it or not, I have been trying to figure this out for a while.

I now have a hemp rope grip on mine and it handles like a charm. I -highly- endorse this sword. I have handled most of the windlass swords while I was at their GA store, and I can honestly say this was the most lively sword they had.

Thanks again,

Josh

James R.Fox

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua- thats a Conyers Falchion. If you go to the first topic on this forum page"Does anyone know what kind of sword this is?' you will find source plus illustrations.I think the hilt could be a little out of date, but that makes no difference, people of that date re-hilted weapons regularly. Now you know why falchions were so popular and so rare, they got used up! You got a sweet deal. believe me!
Ja68ms
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Identify this Sword         Reply with quote

The thread topic says, "Identify this Windlass Sword", not identifiy this sword. The Windlass model in question is not a direct copy of the Conyers falchion - its hilt is at least a century later in form, and the blade is longer and narrower than the more cleaver-like Conyers falchion. Joshua asked specifically about the Windlass product, and his first responder supplied the correct information. BTW, this sword is not one of Windlass' better falchion attempts, IMO, as Joshua supports.
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Corey D. Sullivan

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, this sword is not one of Windlass' better falchion attempts, IMO, as Joshua supports.

Don't you mean it is one of their better attempts?

'Cause Josh said it was quite lively.

"He had scantly finyshed his saienge but the one armye espyed the other lord how hastely the souldioures buckled their healmes how quikly the archers bent ther bowes and frushed their feathers how redely the byllmen shoke their bylles and proved their staves redy to appioche and loyne when the terrible trotnpet should sound the blast to victorie or deathe."
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs-I gpt slightly off topic, I Meant to say it's a copy or reproduction od a Conyers Falchion If it handles properly, then it's a good reproduction in my opinion. And people did re-hilt old blades, Mr Oakshott points out the no of type XIII blades re-hilted in the 15-16 00 when lighter armour came into use. for example.A good blade could be re-ued in more than one hilt, and often was.
Ja68ms
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Windlass sword         Reply with quote

Joshua did say he thought the handle was quote, "crappy", despite commenting that the handling was lively. I still stand by my assertion, however. I have handled all of the Windlass falchions, save the Italian one, and I prefer their German and Archers versions (for the price point - an Albion Vassal is my preferred weapon!). Wink
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Joshua Acker

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: whoa! calm down everyone         Reply with quote

I would like to say that while the first poster did answer my original question, I do appreciate the input James gave. I am thinking of funding a custom sword project in the near future and I was not aware of the Conyers Falchion's very distinctive profile. So I appreciate both sets of input.

On the handling of MY sword, I maintain that I like the handling for several reasons. Firstly, it still has a lot of blade presence and from personal tests on hard targets, I can attest it is one mean chopper. Secondly, it tracks very well for a falchion and has a fairly low pob that makes transitions pretty smooth. I think this is a very nasty weapon. I handled every single sword that Windlass had on the floor at their store and chose this one. It's a matter of personal preferance, I am sure. An atrim or an Albion is definitely on the way for me, but 'till then, this little beast will satisfy my urges to demolish small, plastic armies lined up on my porch railing.

-Josh

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identify this Windlass sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic