advice sought
Hello everyone,

I will be traveling to Osaka, Japan at the end of March for two weeks. Frankly, I have only a passing interest in the Japanese sword related subjects but I do not want to miss a chance to see something that is important or something that I would regret missing. If this trip was to be in Europe I would be much more invested in seeing everything there is to see. Do any of you know of anything I might want to try to look at during my trip in Osaka?- just as an individual passionate about arms and armour. Does Osaka have a sort of military museum with a high concentration of arms and armour related exhibits?- something easy to get to and interesting?

I know that Kyoto is very near also and I will probably be able to go there as well.

I like sushi much more than japanese swords!

Thanks for the feedback,
Jeremy[/list]
I don't know too much about Japan. That having been said, Osaka is located in the general area that many samurai hailed from historically. I imagine, therefore, that it's a good place for arms and armour. While you're there, you should visit Osaka castle, which is one of the very few surviving in Japan today. Also, I would expect that the Osaka Museum of History is where you would want to go for arms and armor: http://www.mus-his.city.osaka.jp/english_iso-8859-1/index.html.

Enjoy your trip Jeremy. While I am a Europhile too, I'd love to get a chance to visit Japan at some point.
Go to Kyoto. No, seriously. Go to Kyoto. Magnificent city. the Imperial Palace, the Fushimi Inari shrine, The Temple of the Golden Pavilion, the Temple of the Silver Pavilion, Ryoanji Zen Garden, Kiyomizu Temple, Gion District... The list goes on and on, and one day is not enough time. Kyoto is the kind of place you'd want to go if you could only go to one place in Japan. :D
Thanks guys,

This is good advice and I imagine that my wife and I will be able to get away for a day or two so to visit Kyoto. Hopefully we will get to ride one of those bullet trains! ZOOM!!

I have read that Osaka is not always the most picturesque of cities but that the people are very friendly and thatit is known for it's cuisine.

I am a big fan of architecture and history in general so I am looking forward to the trip.

Thanks again,
Jeremy

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: