Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Gen 2 excalibur re-release Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Gen 2 excalibur re-release         Reply with quote

Humm it's odd that clyde or anyone else hasn't posted about the re-release, but with a whopping 15 pre-ordered so far after much woo-ha over this sword, it is likely that this year will be the only year it is released and it may be un-re-released at the end of this month. Anyways a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.imperialweapons.com/swords/Gen2/IP-035.html
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde did post this over on SFI actually as well.

Here is what he said there:
Quote:

After much deliberation, Generation 2 has decided to re-make this Legendary sword.

Only 100 numbered swords will be made each year. Each sword will have both number and corresponding year made.
Until June 1 we will take pre-orders for 2008 models. A non-refundable deposit will be charged once order is made. This order for 2008 will be limited to 50 only and will completed and delivered by January 2009.

Here is the link to read about it.

http://www.imperialweapons.com/swords/Gen2/IP-035.html

Clyde Hollis
Imperial Weapons

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
L. Bailey

PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tis a shame so few have ordered, Clyde went through a lot of sacrifice to make this work.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the problem is that the average level of historical knowledge is on the rise in the sword collecting community. Arthur is migration period post-roman occupation britton stock. and though we don't have a lot o direct finds attributed to welsh warlords of that period, it is a safe bet that excalibur would have looked more like a fifth century spatha or longsword than what is shown in Mr. Hollis' s rendition. Nice maybe, but not on the mark.
Bon coeur et bon bras
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Lady of the Lake takes half swording to new extremes. I'll save for 20 years and just get a Discerner.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
I think the problem is that the average level of historical knowledge is on the rise in the sword collecting community. Arthur is migration period post-roman occupation britton stock. and though we don't have a lot o direct finds attributed to welsh warlords of that period, it is a safe bet that excalibur would have looked more like a fifth century spatha or longsword than what is shown in Mr. Hollis' s rendition. Nice maybe, but not on the mark.

Eh, call me a hopeless romantic but I doubt most people who'd buy a sword named "Excalibur" puts its historical correctness high in stock. That's kinda missing the point.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry Anders, I didn't quite get the point of calling something excalibur, what is the point that you get from that ? I thought that the point was to use the name of a sword from an ancient welsh story to promote its' sale to consumers and my point was that the average consumer now distinguishes better...its' like showing a gladius or a rapier and marketing it as sword of Leif Ericson or some other scandinavian name. The average sword buyer would simply be perplexed and not waste much time buying the offered product, even though some might like the look of that particular gladius, or rapier. The strange name for it would cast doubts on the degree of sword knowledge of the seller, thus casting a doubt on the quality of the product.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Sean Smith

PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe the sword is based off of a movie. Therefore accuracy to the movie, rather than the "historical basis" for the legend being the most important thing.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Smith wrote:
I believe the sword is based off of a movie. Therefore accuracy to the movie, rather than the "historical basis" for the legend being the most important thing.

I agree. The movie is aptly titled "Excalibur" and was released in 1981: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082348/

Jonathan
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that makes sense, especially given the full plate treatment that movie got (XVth century?) Anyway, the linked publicity should have some kind of mention to the same effect, like '' inspired by Boorman's movie'', if not under license directly from the studio....Every now and then you meet someone who will argue Arthurian lore based on movies or novels, and my point is that people who use Arthurian references directly, while avoiding to mention the Hollywood connection, end up confusing unsuspecting consumers and also losing the interest of those who are really interested in Arturian lore. Thanks for the clarification on the movie provenance.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
Now that makes sense, especially given the full plate treatment that movie got (XVth century?) Anyway, the linked publicity should have some kind of mention to the same effect, like '' inspired by Boorman's movie'', if not under license directly from the studio....Every now and then you meet someone who will argue Arthurian lore based on movies or novels, and my point is that people who use Arthurian references directly, while avoiding to mention the Hollywood connection, end up confusing unsuspecting consumers and also losing the interest of those who are really interested in Arturian lore. Thanks for the clarification on the movie provenance.

Albion tried to get a license to produce an official sword and it was very expensive and and pain to deal with, if I remember correctly. If you tried to identify with the movie without a licensing deal, you'd get sued. Mentioning the director's name or official movie title will likely get you in trouble as a retailer.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad, I've been an attorney for 30 years, and now hear cases pleaded by attorneys, so I am very sensitive to the point of view you expressed, but I am also interested in history and Arthurian lore,and I just don't get the point, as Anders put it, of calling that particular sword Excalibur, unless it is supposed to be a spin off of Boorman's XVth century fantasy rendition of the Morte D'Arthur, and if this is the case then the appropriate credits, or disclaimers, would help consumers make the necessary distinctions. Either that or find another model of sword to offer on the market.
My take on this is simply that most sword afficionadoes who do know something about history, or timelines, will make the necessary distinctions, and this would explain why so few of these offerings were reserved on pre-release. The disconnect between the name chosen, and that particular type of sword, makes it less attractive to the average sword collector. That doesn't mean that the sword is lacking in quality as a sword, I have no real opinion on that particular producer, it very well might be a fine sword, just not a sword that should be called Excalibur.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its the Boorman sword, a cult classic and therefore easily recognizable without referencing the movie as evidenced by how quickly it was noted here, which obviously they don't have the licensing to use Mr.Boormans name or they would as it would be a sales no brainer to refference it. Excaliber and Arthurian are pretty much public domain so they can use them as much as they want and have, whats to understand? Its a movie sword sales pitch.

Last edited by Allan Senefelder on Mon 03 Mar, 2008 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
Chad, I've been an attorney for 30 years, and now hear cases pleaded by attorneys, so I am very sensitive to the point of view you expressed, but I am also interested in history and Arthurian lore,and I just don't get the point, as Anders put it, of calling that particular sword Excalibur, unless it is supposed to be a spin off of Boorman's XVth century fantasy rendition of the Morte D'Arthur, and if this is the case then the appropriate credits, or disclaimers, would help consumers make the necessary distinctions. Either that or find another model of sword to offer on the market.

It is a spin-off, and it is inspired by Boorman's movie. It's supposed to remind people of the movie. That's the point (as well as making money). They want to cash in on that without licensing and royalties. They either don't want to pay for credits or weren't able to secure rights to an official replica. They aren't the only company making an unlicensed replica of a movie sword. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Gen 2 excalibur re-release
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic