Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MRLTowton re-wrap Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome!

It's actually great to be able to discuss such matters (our hobby is often a lonely one, easily considered odd by most to say the least). Laughing Out Loud

Well, another welcome to the site and great job on the grip recovering. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Feb, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum Julien and a nice wrap you did there! I'm presently in the realm of regrinding swords that were too heavy and thick to be of any consideration for a reality type of blade. It all started a few weeks ago with a Del Tin
Type X Viking Sword for which I was frustrated that I had a fine quality sword but the blade was just way too thick and heavy and went at it with no experience whatsoever grinding away. For some reason it all came to me like second hand nature and the blade came out beautiful and now I am reworking what was a practical Type XII Viking sword by a new unknown company in India that I was given to work on to see what I could do with it. Well the fuller used to end at 5 7/8 inches from the blade tip and now it terminates about 11 inches from the tip, if that gives anyone an idea of how much material I've ground off this blade. I finally got the blade where it is lively but the job they did on milling the fuller was atrocious and as I ground down the body of the blade to where it should be, I've got a fuller that narrows and widens like a river! Laughing Out Loud
So I can appreciate your experiences in dealing with an existing grip that has certain characteristics to overcome to get it where you want it to be, therefore I wanted to extend my respect for what you have accomplished!
Jolly Good Show Exclamation

Bob
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you did a great job, especially considering that it's your 1st attempt. When ever I take on a project it seems that I'm usually my own harshest critic with my eye always being drawn to the bits I'm unsatisfied with but I suppose that is what drives us to not have those offending bits on the next project.

I applaud your wilingness to take on the chore to begin with. Many consider a new wrap or regrinding a blade like Mr. Burns but fewer take the plunge as you have done.
Pietari Jaakkola

PostPosted: Sun 05 Apr, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats really nice! I have always admired this grip-style and I have tried to look for tutorials about this, but my efforts have been fruitless so far. Do any of you guys have links to them? Sad
A man wields his sword to die with a smile on his face. On a distant day beyond his dreams.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 05 Apr, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pietari Jaakkola wrote:
Thats really nice! I have always admired this grip-style and I have tried to look for tutorials about this, but my efforts have been fruitless so far. Do any of you guys have links to them? Sad

Try here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_antique.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_bench_ws_estoc.html

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Pietari Jaakkola

PostPosted: Sun 05 Apr, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chad! Big Grin
A man wields his sword to die with a smile on his face. On a distant day beyond his dreams.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 06 Apr, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pietari Jaakkola wrote:

Thanks for your kind words mate, but to be honest looking back at that grip I think it is fairly ugly now Happy
let's say it's not too bad for a first try:I did what I thought relevant at the time, but in fact used very inappropriate materials:

the wrong glue (epoxy): you want to use hide glue or wood glue
the wrong leather: avoid chromium tanned leather (the most easy to find unfortunately, mine came from a pound shop and probably came from an old jacket). instead use chamois if you are on a budget, but even better vegetable tanned leather (as thin as you can find (1mm or less).
beside this you'll need cord for raisers and I would recommend a fine nylon cord to overwrap the all thing.

Look around the forum and you'll find lot's of indication on how to, including this thread.

Good luck and enjoy customizing your sword.

Julien

Last edited by Julien M on Mon 06 Apr, 2009 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MRLTowton re-wrap
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: