Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Grotesque warhammer - advice needed Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Stephan Hall

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 29 Feb, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam your problem of brittleness of the finger seems to come from the wax, it looks like stearin wich is not the first choice for modelling.
Beeswax is better but damn expensive and is sticky. Best thing would be a mixture of both wich is sold as modeling wax wich is recommended for lost wax moulding with bronze.
Another method would be to form it out of another stuff like clay and make a silikcon form around it then remove the negative form and cast the form with wax to get a positive modell.
By the way how long do you want to make it more like a double handed mace ( less than one meter ) or like fußstreithammer or luzerner hammer ( up to 1.5 meter or longer).
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, thank for the advice about beeswax - I think I can get some from one of my relatives. Modeling wax is unheard of here, as far as I know, just like lost wax casting... I'm very, very glad that I found a guy who knew what I was talking about in Debrecen... Confused
We thought about silicon, but so far we couldn't get any.
As I'm a big fan of the poleaxe, it'll have about the same size, even as the head is completely different - I think I'll make it cca 175cm from bottom to knuckles.
BTW, I'm finished with the "'nail", but I'll add it to the form only after all else is done.
Anyone else, opinions? Big Grin
Stephan Hall

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

adam lost wax technique is to form the thing you want to cast out of wax then you bild the form around it out of sand or a ceramic mass ( goldsmiths cast like that) and then you have to melt the wax out. so the form is now hollow and the metall can be cast in it. how do you want to do the casting, have you casted brass or bronze before?
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're having problems with your wax and can't get a different hardness, you can carve the finger out of wood and coat it with wax instead - it'll all burn out in the end Wink Basically, if it burns, you can cast with it. Just make sure it doesn't absorb water out of your casting investment by coating your object with shellac, or wax.
www.addisondelisle.com
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think we have a problem from different languages... Big Grin I know what's lost wax, but I've found only one guy in Hungary so far who also knows it. And he'll do the casting itself, as I only have a very, very small garage as a shop, with a piece of railroad track as an anvil, two hammers, a drill and an angle grinder, and almost no room left with those. Happy
hmmm, wood seems like a good idea, I think I'll try it later.
Thanks
Stephan Hall

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Adam, how far has your Hammer developed? Have you solved your Problems.
I`mloking forward to hear from you !
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahh, at last, we have internet at home, so I can post more often... now we only have to get a router as my dearest one keeps stealing the cable. Laughing Out Loud
It turned out that the guy who would have made the casting only knows a place where they can cast wax. Happy I contacted them and I was informed that they can cast high carbon steel as well as stainless, bronze, copper, etc... so I dumped the bronze body-steel attack surfaces idea, and added those from wax and it'll be one piece out of steel. The wax itself is complete, I'm thinking about adding a bit more socket lenght, I now only have to get enough money for it. If I'd order more than 50 castings, it'd be about $100 each, but for a single piece they'll charge more than $250. Confused
As it is purely a personal piece, I won't rush to get the money, but when I have enough spare, I'll have it made and post the pictures.
Nathan Spence

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you gotten any closer to this project. I would really love to have a hammer of this style. I remember seeing one like this for sale somewhere, but cannot find it now. Perhaps there would be more interest here and you can put together an order for some.

Nice work.

Spence
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sadly, casting was already very expensive when I started this project, and it only got EVEN MORE expensive here, so the project is stopped. I already reused the wax for a number of quillons and pommels I had to finish, so when I'll have enough spare money to fund casting such a big item (it would've been a personal piece, which means that I'm not willing to put much money into it), I'll remake it. I learned quite a lot of things while making it, but that's all for now. I'm a bit sad about this, but hey, I made washers from my first full harness, so I'm used to recycling.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Grotesque warhammer - advice needed
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: