Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My second Youtube clip... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Van de Laak

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: My second Youtube clip...         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

A while ago I posted here a clip, I got several nice constructive comments. Yesterday I made a new one, a very short clip. I am not very happy with the result, (e.g. missing some basic cuts, bad blade alignment and no side stepping) but I posted it anyway. Any comments are welcome. Keep in mind that I am a total beginner and that I only have Tobler's book "Fighting with the German Longsword" and the DVD from "Ochs". Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n3OffS_O-U
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Van,

It's hard to do this from watching a video, but the biggie here is that you cock the sword back before striking. Practice striking with from Vom Tag with the sword resting on your shoulder rather than held near it so that you have less of a temptation to cock the sword before striking.

The first thing that should happen in a cut is that the tip of the sword should move towards your opponent. Your body shouldn't so much as twitch before that happens.

Also, from what I can see, you need to work on stopping your cuts in a specific guard and relaxing...you seem too tense, though that could just be a misperception.

Your footwork needs work, as you know, and the best way to do that is to isolate it and work on that slope step...that is the most difficult footwork element in the system.

If I were you I'd work on the first guard transition drill (pflug to ochs) from Fighting extensively until the slope step is second nature.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I can just add to what Michael said before me, footwork aside, the timing is off. I notice your feet moving before the cut, rather than having the hands move first. This is something that is completely natural, and many beginners do this, but the sooner you kill the habit, the better. It gets difficult to stamp out after time. Other than that, keep up the good work.
Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Van de Laak

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks!         Reply with quote

Thanks for both comments, the cocking of the sword... I even didn't realise this, good for pointing it out. I am aware of the "sword moves first" concept, I will work on that too, but its hard though :P. I will try to post another clip in the near future. Stay tuned Happy
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks!         Reply with quote

Van de Laak wrote:
Thanks for both comments, the cocking of the sword... I even didn't realise this, good for pointing it out. I am aware of the "sword moves first" concept, I will work on that too, but its hard though :P. I will try to post another clip in the near future. Stay tuned Happy

When you want to work on something like sword moving first, it helps to work with one type of cut, such as oberhau from vom tag, until that motion (sword moving first) is second nature. This will require hard work and a lot of patience. It's not fun, and it's not interesting(to most people), but it will pay off.

Holding your vom tag with the sword actually resting (as in touching) on your shoulder and your hands touching your body will help. If you're hesitant about doing so because you want to stay true to Christian's interpretations and hold vom tag the way he shows it in the book, then don't worry. I'm a student of his and this is the way we do it these days, for the very reasons I mentioned.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Bas K.

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well thats a coincidence, was just surfing on youtube 5 min. ago and encountered this movie.
Once More unto the Breach, My Friends.
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to second Michael's advice: one cut at a time. In the beginning, you are creating a foundation that will become (ideally) an instinctive way of moving. By working on one cut over and over, you have fewer things to worry about and you'll be able to focus on making each cut the same way. Do this until you're sick of it, then do it some more (there is a reason why such repetitive exercises are used so much in living arts--they work). However, I have to say that the fact that you are putting this much importance into solo drills (and posting them for instructive comments) is very positive. I see so many problems in the community that could be solved with exactly this type of drilling. Keep it up!

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The guy with the shield needs to keep it in front of him. It does no good behind him when he attacks.

Otherwise, it looks good.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
The guy with the shield needs to keep it in front of him. It does no good behind him when he attacks.

Otherwise, it looks good.

guy with shield...? i think you may have watched a different video than the rest of us! (there was no guy with a shield in the linked video ) =]

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My second Youtube clip...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic