Visiting Smith
Spent the day yesterday with John Gage at my shoppe ( he , it turns out lives just across town from me) . John has a
degree and background in art which includes ,sculpting, painting and jewlery amd worked for a bit at the Cincinnati
Art Museum which has a small but prestigeous (sp) collection of arms and armour . Got to handle a few of John's
prototypes and have to say he has the fantasy thing nailed ! Both the axe and the flail I handled would have gone
perfectly with The Deathdealer Helm at Albion . He seems eager to take on anything pretty much, as he see's
each project as a way to grow his skills and is willing to work with the roughest of sketches as a starting point .
He's looking to take on period work from the "inspired by" perspective as it gives the room for artistic licence that
apeals to his background in art . I think John's work will be something to keep an eye on in the future .
Re: Visiting Smith
Allan Senefelder wrote:
Spent the day yesterday with John Gage at my shoppe ( he , it turns out lives just across town from me) . John has a
degree and background in art which includes ,sculpting, painting and jewlery amd worked for a bit at the Cincinnati
Art Museum which has a small but prestigeous (sp) collection of arms and armour . Got to handle a few of John's
prototypes and have to say he has the fantasy thing nailed ! Both the axe and the flail I handled would have gone
perfectly with The Deathdealer Helm at Albion . He seems eager to take on anything pretty much, as he see's
each project as a way to grow his skills and is willing to work with the roughest of sketches as a starting point .
He's looking to take on period work from the "inspired by" perspective as it gives the room for artistic licence that
apeals to his background in art . I think John's work will be something to keep an eye on in the future .

I absolutely enjoyed my time spent at Allans' shop. I am very impressed with Allans' knowlege of armour making and his knowlege of the history of armour and weaponry. I have to say what impressed me the most about Allan and his work is that he creates his armor the way it used to be made. The feel, the construction the look all reflect the essence of period armor. I look forward to building a tight relationship with him and am very much interested in possible future colaborations.
I may have not been clear about my art school experience while talking with Allen, but i would like to do that here. I do not have an degree in art. I have spent my life to date in the pursuit to explore every medium of art while working full time as a in various production jobs ie machinist, quality control metalurgy tech, textile fabrication, etc ( way too many to list ::)). I spent 2 years at the art academy of Cincinnati which is half of the time required to earn a degree. I found that it wasnt my bag, it cost me alot of money and i found that if i really wanted to be successful as an artist i would take what i had learned and the remainder of what it would cost for school and put that money into buying the equipment that i used while in Art School ie. welders, kilns, Smithing Forges etc One year ago i started Gage Designs. I made the 2 handed scepter mace and i have been pretty busy since . I just love to create. Its really that simple.

"The history of art is the history of war"

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: