Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New kit i've been working on Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: New kit i've been working on         Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=hospitaller+kit

Here is the soft kit for my late 12th/ early 13th century hospitaller. I have just a few rivets to put into the shield and then everything should be done for the 1206 statute. If it isn't storming with ice tomorrow, I will put on the kit with armour etc and take a picture.

whatya think?
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Were the individual pieces all made by you ? Looking forward to seeing the ensemble when you take pictures.
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my mother, wife and I made all of the pieces. This was a real learning experience for me. My mom helped me lay out the patterns etc but made me cut and sew them. I've never done a project 100% like this Happy My wife helped with a lot of the finishing touches like the hand sewing on the linen. She does such a great job at those little stitches you can't even see them when she's done. I am very proud of this project Happy
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As well you should be. I'm certainly no authority but it looks great from my view.
D. Austin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I especially like the shoes, very cool. Where did you find the inspiration for them?
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like it too. Is the cloth linen (not that it matters greatly, I just wondered if you splurged for the supposed cooling benefits in armour)?
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome stuff.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks good!

One advice; ditch the cord on the breeches and get a narrow belt. Much more comfortable.

Does the garnache have arm openings on the inside of the elbow?

Johan Schubert Moen
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

cant ditch the cord for a belt, it wont work. Happy this style is based of period drawings etc of the breeches teh peasants are wearing in the fields. you can see some with no shirts with th ebottom of the breeches rolled up or tied also. the top of the breeches wrap around the cord after it is tied. it works very well holding up my hosen, I've never lost a pair yet during fights. ehhe that would suck! Happy

Everything is linen and wool. The white wool is VERY hard to come by without paying a ton of money.

The shoes are based of a single 12th century find. I usually use them for my Norman Impression since there aren't any finds for 1066.

The Garnache doesn't have any openings. Its based of the Francis of Assisi gown. http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/%7Emarc-carlson/cloth/francis.htm I simplified the side gussets into 1 per side.

I was planning on putting it all on and going outside today, but we got another 2 inches of snow on top of our 5 inches we got 2 days ago. so it would be hard to see a Hospitaller who's supposed to be in Jerusalem with snow everywhere hehehe.
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks really nice, Chuck. Good job on the whole works!
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://flickr.com/photos/8028065@N05/tags/hospitaller/ added pictures of myself in the kit. just think of a sandy back ground... enjoy!
Jon H.

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicely done, mate. Everything looks great! Are the sword and spear made by you as well, or are they purchased pieces? If so, where did you get them? Happy
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm convinced. Just out of curiosity it looks pretty brisk in those photos. How warm did it keep you on a late winters day ?
Brian Robson

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking good!

I'm working on hospitallar kit myself for late c12th, and what I have is pretty similar (understandably, I guess). Biggest difference I could see was that you have gone for a hood on the mantle, where I went for a hood on the garnache instead(Generally accepted in UK re-enactment to be called a Cappa). I tried to find definitive answers on where the hood should be and all I could find were some tentative hints. The only definate was that there was quite a bit of variation across priories - even after the 1206 statute!

My only criticism is that the cappa looks too tight around the ankles, but I guess only you can say if it is or not based on whether it impedes you!!

Can I ask where you got your hat? That's one of the things I still need to source, and don't think I have the ability to make myself.

My to do list:
Mantle
Hat
White hose (currently get by with mail chausses over brown hose...)
Long white tunic.

Also, do you have any thoughts on banners/pennons? I've seen several interpretations of the banner, from a red field with white cross to white filed with red cross. Additionally, do you know if individual brother-knights had pennants, and what form they may have taken?

Thanks,
Brian
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the pictures look like that but trust me there is a ton of room. http://www.historiclife.com/Essays/Monk.htm the only difference is i think my center rectangle is 26 inches and my length is not as long either (I'm a lot shorter than jamesb) I think I had pulled a lot of the excess material behind me. I got a belly again so thing's don't fit like they should anymore Wink

I went without a hood due to my mantle/cloak having one.

The hat I made myself based on a 6 panel construction. I just found my pattern for a 4 pattern one, oh well... Happy

the weather wasn't too bad. i could feel the cool air (this is a light weight wool) but it wouldn't have bothered me for a full days event.

The sword and spear are both paul binns. I bought both at http://www.viking-shield.com I just made the scabbard etc for the sword.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New kit i've been working on
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic