Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Jian blades Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, this is gorgeous.
Congratulations once again.

And I thoroughly approve of your approach to preservation/cleaning.

You have a real treasure there.
I know you will enjoy it as much as I envy it.
Cool

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Thomas!!

Now I have the fotos up I can give a funny example:

This is what HanWei claims to be a Tang replica. Now the Tang dynasty was 7th to 10th century Wink

Well, jian design did not change over millennia and changes in the hilt were subtle. Without a scabbard Ming and Qing jian will be very hard to distinguish if not archetypical of their breed yet can be separated by five centuries of history.

To complicate things the Log Quan region is a traditional sword makers origin in China and those used moulds to cast the bronze fittings using and mixing standard designs. Add to this the fact that the fitting design itself hardly changed and the fashion of the time changed the ornamenting themes of the fitting. Considering fashion in themes it is worthy to note that the dragon was already a popular subject bc.....

Without any doubt my jian origianlly came with a very fine scabbard as the recess in the demon's mouth is deep and neatly sculptured to receive a VERY sleek sheath.
I have sourced a fine and old piece of ash and it is going to be a challenge to come up with something fitting in both senses Laughing Out Loud

peter
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two plots thickening:

1. My taichi teacher was SO impressed that he started about the sword and the effect it had on him the moment I saw him today. He almost burst with it and did not even say 'hello' which is QUITE out of his normally very composed character Surprised
He is going to buy me (read; the sword) a chinese silk envelop as a present.
Yes, the sword has 'Qi' Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

2. The provinence of the sword that I now have had confirmed is:
From the estate of an ardent Dutch collector who bought it in France where it came from China during the second part of the 19th century without it's scabbard.

Circumstantial 'evidence' is the used blade that was expertly straightened and sharpened.

I suppose this is as far as the plot has any hope of thickening.

So, there it is: a 'scolar' Qing jian of good quality which had a hard life to end up without a scabbard in French hands and eventually mine.

The rest is good for nights in the bar or near the fire with another enthusiast to speculate about from the most likely to the downright fantastic. Undoubtedly good fun, but no more than just that Wink

peter
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of good fun:
I have the contour and dept of the scabbard channel chisseled out and went to the carpenter to ask them how to smooth it out without abrasives.

When I unwrapped the sword to show the intended fit all workers stopped and flocked around. Even the apprentice inmediately saw this is not a chinese wallhanger and those craftmen were impressed by the quality of the sanmai blade. The discussion changed very quickly to how many people the blade must have killed Surprised
To move away from that I handed the master the sword. He fell silent quickly and.....'contouring this lenticular profile neatly I will have to do myself, just leave the halves.'
Either the 'qi' at work again or a welcome change from doors and window sills Laughing Out Loud

Back home I made a wrist loop

but consider it more an excersize than finished: I want finer cord and flossy ends coming out of the bronze end knot covers.

I am going to try to expand on the dragon theme so I will need the dragon's pearl in the rope. The colour of the cord I wil decide upon when I have the scabbard ready to match with leather.
So; sourcing 'dragon skin' now Laughing Out Loud

peter
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Peter,

I immediately thought of your sword, and particularly the fingerprints you said were fizzing away on it, when I saw this picture of a "standard blade flexibility test" that many Chinese smiths perform.

Attachment: 91.96 KB
26.jpg

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Jimmie Grant Gee

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Recently purchased Tang Dynasty Jian         Reply with quote

I am currently working as an expat in Xi'an, China. Retired US Army and I love all things military. I bought a Tang Dynasty (reproduction) Jian from what my colleagues told me was the most reputable armory in the city. The blade has a very fine damascus pattern in it and the jian is simple but very beautiful. It was one of the cheaper blades for sale at about 230USD, but I liked the spartan look and feel. My question is once I return home to the USA, what should I value it at?

Attachment: 224.89 KB
Jian with case and scabbard [ Download ]

Attachment: 310.63 KB
Certificate of Authenticity [ Download ]

JGG
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the same blade, but in older-style ring-pommel mounts; see the "Show us your jian" thread for photo: http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=30093

Why not value it at what you paid for it? Or what you paid plausible estimate for shipping. $200-$250 will buy a Tang dao/jian with damascus/folded blade and the same fittings (if your fittings are zinc-aluminium alloy; brass fittings, often accompanied by better wood for the grip/scabbard might add $50). I don't think the style of blade adds to the value.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Jian blades
Page 5 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: