Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armour and arms worn when not in battle. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Description of Wallace's armour writen by Blind Harry:
"Ever since he left prison Wallace wore secure armour; from that time he always used good light harness in case of sudden strife; from it he would never sever. An habergeon he wore under his gown, a small steel helmet he had in his bonnet, and no more; his gloves, of plate cloth armour, well covered; and in his doublet, a close collar of steel. His face, which was always bare, he kept with his two hands, which worthy were and wicht."

Author of the book (James Mackay) states that Wallace's habergeon was neck covering extending across the breast. I don't know why that, why not full mail shirt, I thought hauberks are always full mail shirts, maybe somebody has something to say about it?
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you excert is exact then it is a habergeon which seems at times to indicate short sleeves.
RPM
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This seems clear about William Wallace at that time of his life. What does it tell us about the general custom? That it was not customary to wear armour? let alone full armour?

peter
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not much about general custom, I agree. Wallace wasn't typical knight, his tactics weren't typical knightly tactics and it was not yet the time when plate that is not very comfortable for everyday situations would be even in existence...
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Okay. There are a few things I'd recommend. one is reading Christine de Pisan's work on war.

I actually have her (Christine Pizan) work titled The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry. I skimmed through it. I am wondering if there is a different one that I do not have?

Several comments from the Deeds of Arms and Chivalry seemed partly relevant. Pizan took great care to explain how to safeguard a traveling army. She mentioned use of "brigands" as scouts, who should be "light footed and quick." There was a significant section describing the problems of expecting an army that had already traveled a few hours to be able to fight effectively due to fatique, and prescriptions of how far to go (appeared to be in the 15 to 20 mile range) when in enemy territory, etc. The entire strategy seemed to be predicated upon using some vanguards, scouts, etc. and trying to avoid an ambush situation, and not exhaust strength too severely when in hostile regions. My guess is that this would be armoured travel with infantry.

There was also an interesting later section about Safe Conduct passes (examples of Monarchs giving them to foreign knights as permission to travel for specific business purposes.) In principle these sound like a way to travel with impunity in foreign lands. The following section criticized anyone who was foolish enough to believe the safe conduct pass was actually going to do much in the way of making their travel safe!

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared,

That is the one. As far as I know she only wrote one work devoted to warfare sadly.

She is very detailed on how to protect supply lines, march through enemy territory and such things, even giving the numbers of men needed in many cases. SHe mentions the importance of using armoured scouts in enemy terrain on a few occasions so if they engage with other scouts they have that going for them or if they come upon other enemy forces they have some protection. I'd recommend reading it through. A very good book.

Peter,

I do not think wearing such concealed armour was as rare as you do. We have a fair number still existant as well as a great numbers of accounts reinforcing this use of armour. The records from the 14th and 15th has recordeed men in concealed armour quite a few times, usually men either looking for a fight or looking to not die in one. One that comes to mind is a group of seven men wandering the streets at night. They are arrested by the city alderman and his men and found to be wearing concealed brigs and haveing concealed weapons.

RPM
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ulrich of Celje had concealed mail armour when he went on meeting with Ladislav Hunyadi because he suspected that it was a trap. It was a trap and Hunyadi and his soldiers attacked him and were surprised when they found out he's armoured under the clothes. But they wounded his legs and then cut off his head.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Hunyadi and his soldiers attacked him and were surprised when they found out he's armoured under the clothes.

...which indicates it to be NOT common.

Again, what is written tends to account the UNusual. Also the writer will be aware he is writing; that by writing something down he is creating history. He would have been aware of his readers too. Neither he nor his readers were the norm either.
Sometimes what NOT happened is recorded to mask what did.
Just look at what has happened/ is happening, after 9-11and imagine this in medieval times.

peter
Daniel S.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:
Hunyadi and his soldiers attacked him and were surprised when they found out he's armoured under the clothes.

...which indicates it to be NOT common.

Again, what is written tends to account the UNusual. Also the writer will be aware he is writing; that by writing something down he is creating history. He would have been aware of his readers too. Neither he nor his readers were the norm either.
Sometimes what NOT happened is recorded to mask what did.
Just look at what has happened/ is happening, after 9-11and imagine this in medieval times.

peter

Well I don't think the surprise effect is even comparable.. Judging by what has been said here it seems more like the situation would be like that of the police today (depending on in which country/area they work in). Sometimes police officers wear protective vests, sometimes they don't. I would assume it depends on the area in which they currently operate, time of day and other risk factors, coupled with personal inclinations and local regulations. In either case criminals are still surprised to find that police officers wear protective vests! And we, the general public, are still surprised to see footage of police officers that get shot but still survive because the vest protected them. Also, have you guys seen that footage of an American soldier getting shot by a sniper in Iraq? If i remember correctly (I might fill in some blanks in my memory with other video clips I've seen..) the sniper thought he killed him, but he was able to get into cover due to his protective gear. So the sniper is surprised, even though the likelihood that Americans in Iraq wears vests with protective plates is high.

Daniel S.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The thing is that knights are not ' work' but a social class. There is therefore no such thing as off-work.
For a knight to wear armour in a full fledged battle or a joust is not surprising, neither is wearing protection when on a doubtfull rendezvous.
The question is wether they wore any form of armour when not at arms.
I am pretty convinced even a crusader in Jerusalem would not wear armour or even mail when not under direct threat, not even when out of the citadel in the city.

Again, I think they did not. Not any more than a soldier would now at home.
The reason for a knight to wear armour would be:
1. to actually fight
2. when social status asked this

William Wallace was an exceptional knight. Exception to the rule.

Wearing protective armour wether 'light' mail or whatever is tiring and unpractical to the extreme. Nobody would wear it if not VERY important to do so. So: no, unless...

Anyway, there are enough practicioners on this forum. They can tell us first hand how comfie armour is to live in and thus whereabout the b.e.p. between safety and quality of life would be. Personally I do not even like to wear a wristwatch or a wedding ring so am not the right person to offer my b.e.p. Laughing Out Loud

peter
Brian Robson

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was stuff in the rule of the Hospitallers - and I would expect the Templars that dictaded what they should wear on the road or in hostile territory.

I don't have the book with me (loaned to a friend), but I seem to remember that in hostile territory, mail chausses and helmet were worn, but not a hauberk.

I also remember something about the tactics involving every third man facing the threat with the rest falling behind to 'armour up'

Possibly an avenue for investigation if anyone has sources at hand.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

Not to be rude but there is a great deal of literature, especially boring legal documents from the period that indicate this was not unusual but a common occurrance in their lives. There are many occasions that has been posted here that indicates it was a fairly common practice, not just when you expected something as you always might suspect something. There is plenty of indication that men would dress in armour for travel and around town. In the 16th century this becomes even more common. You have not actually brought out anything from period sources that shows that it was uncommon but your own opinion which while useful and insightful does not validate or invalidate the fact there is a great deal of documents that state the wearing of armour, concealed or otherwise common. They might not wear this concealed armour all the time but it appears enough in legal docs to indicate it fairly common.

Armour is not as comfortable as wearing a nice cotton shirt but is not uncomfortable enough to keep one from wearing it for great spans of time without difficulty. I am sure many on this forum, including myself have gone the span of a day or more in a suit of armour without any permanent or semipermanent damages to us. I am sure if us weekend knights and squires can do it I am sure men who lived it as a reality could do it with greater ease. Not saying I want to wear my suit everyday all day but that it clearly is not as detrimental as you make it sound.

RPM
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
You have not actually brought out anything from period sources that shows that it was uncommon but your own opinion which while useful and insightful does not validate or invalidate the fact there is a great deal of documents that state the wearing of armour, concealed or otherwise common. They might not wear this concealed armour all the time but it appears enough in legal docs to indicate it fairly common.

I brought up a point several times: The norm will have no value to write about .
There are SO many newspaper articles about drunk driving one might be led to think it is the norm yet check at saturday night show only a few % of infractions of which most light.
Same thing speeding motorbikes yet 99% are neither speed maniacs nor hells angels.

A phrase ' Thou shalleth wear armour' may indicate it is necessary to ordain it....
Take the phrase in salian law that the free men travelling to the yearly war council were to behave as the lords of the villages they passed: that indicates they frequently did not.
Now, a phrase ' No armour is to be worn at mass' indicates some did. Wether to upkeep their status or what it does not.

Take again the example of William Wallace. If it was normal it would not haven been written about.

An example of not wearing armour travelling in not all that friendly country and even 'duelling' was already given.

The German Orde ' castle' at Bilzen was packed with knights of the bluest blood imaginable and their supposedly daily life depicted on the paintings show only the wearing of clothing very much in vogue. There was a house for noble ladies nearby in Tongeren with wich there was frequent ' traffic'. Again no armour depicted.
Lots of armour depicted in portrays and scenes placed in and going to Poland ofcourse. A painting of one travelling to crusade in Poland in armour however prooves nothing as it might simply be symbolic of him going to war. The fact there is none depicted going to war without armour is not proof none did.

The paintings by Jeroen Bosch show an interesting view on medieval society with also lots of nobility and very few armour. Take 'Ecce Homo' with various sword bearers, one with sword and buckler girded. I do not expect anybody to take it as an objective portaying of reality but why would they be less so then the ones payed for by the guy painted?

peter
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

I said you brought up 0 historic sources as that is what we are looking at, how they did it not how you would do it with your understanding of the period. I never said they had to wear armour around their house or lands, not sure where you read that. Trusting of art sources seems even further from reality than written works to me. I did on the other hand say you brought up some insightful points not that you did not have a point or points only that without support from period documents they are still only opinion.

William Wallace wearing armour has no bearing on whether any other kngiht in Christendom did or did not wear armour in this account but one knight, William Wallace. Though if claiming William Wallace wore a concealed armour does not logically exclude others from wearing them though either. How do you know thet Blind Harry was not stating a common practice of the day?

I do not think your motto is very accurate in many cases. In fact if so you might as well disregard almost everything we think about the medieval period and our past in general. The accounts I gave in both cases are just regular townsmen wearing such armour. You may think it to be uncommon but then again how do you know that it was not common and the others did just not get arrested while wearing their armour? What sources do you have indicating it was not common. The idea that only the extraordinary made it into accounts ignores the fact that A) they were people as well no matter their position B) the knightly class makes up only a few percentage points of the population which by simple statistics means they are are all special, uncommon, rare social group no matter how you see things C) much is written about non nobles etc.. As most men even the very important ones do not have accounts written about them how do come to the realization they did not wear such armour at these times? Just because it does not say they do you assume they did not? I bet it does not say they ate or slept daily either but I bet they did.

RPM
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have so far confined my thoughts to 12th-13th time frame which I have studied. I have read a lot of translations of period sources, and they generally do not say convincingly what the norm for general non combat travel was. There are paintings of knights hunting, and some do show them wearing mail while going against a boar, bear, or large dangerous beast.

Others here, such as Patrick Kelley, have commented about how stressful on the back and shoulders wearing mail armour of that era can be, even for just a few hours. There is at least one battle in the Norman conquest of England in which an army was caught by surprise, unarmoured. This happened to the Norse as well in the Battle of Stamford Bridge (can read it in the Features section.)

It was written (by Sarrazin I think) in the 13th century that the stress of one day of melee battle (tournament style of the era) was so stressful that many knights departed after a tournament "unable to bear the weight of their armour." The traditional fortnight betweenn tournaments was also explained directly in that day as necessary for knights to recuperate sufficiently from a previous melee contest to be physically ready to enage in another. Thinking of this in medical terms, I suspect the author was not exaggerating. Especially following conclusion of battle, men would be eager to get out of their mail or armour and maximize comfort, rest, etc. and depart unarmoured if pronounced safe to do so.

The whole subject of the horse (did they all really have three mounts, were these different types, etc.) is controversial. I would not want to put undue stress on myself or my horse in a situation where I did not consider risks or threats to justify it. A baggage horse makes sense even if armour was not one of those things on it! What purpose served the palfrey, Jenna, or light riding horse (if it was as real, sought after, and as expensive as historical emphasis seems to suggest) if our later era knights were always heavily plated up when mounted? How many of our joust reenactors who have spent a large part of a day on modern large cross breeds would really recommend riding something the size of a modest thoroughbred for 20 miles a day, day after day, in heavy plate harness?

Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One factor to be taken into account is that wearing armour is generally the most convenient way of transporting it around.
If you are on foot, putting the armour in your pack is just stupid. It has a lot better weight distribution when worn.

I've found that I can fight several days in a row with my full mail armour on, without great difficulty. However, this, now as then, will be a question of personal fitness and choice, as well as how well your armour is made.
Carrying the armour in a sack, however, is a pain even for a few hundred meters.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:

If you are on foot, putting the armour in your pack is just stupid. It has a lot better weight distribution when worn.

I've found that I can fight several days in a row with my full mail armour on, without great difficulty.

I'd have to agree, carrying armour in a back pack or something while walking would be absolutely non-sensible.

I am wondering about your experience of fighting multiple days in a row. I don't doubt your claims of fitness (congratulations, I truly admire the conditioning! A 50 mile bike ride on hills is something I now wish to avoid two days in a row in my mid 40's.) What I am wondering is if the intensity of your experience is comparable to historical battle. When you fight, are you receiving serious force blows from relatively hard and realistic (CoP, mass, semi- rigid edge) momentum type weapon simulations? Although it sounds like a fairy tale, William Marshal's helmet being bent on to his head was not unique to his tournament legend. Independently, through descriptions in correspondence by a friend (David Crouch's text on Marshal), the feat (he survived and escaped although outnumbered) was repeated in his late 60's in a city street battle. So, I am considering blows with whatever trauma corresponds to denting battle weight helmets/ armour, etc.

Related factors; at least in many portions of history a living captive was worth more as ransom than a dead one. Bludgeoning someone with livery indicating noble status or close patronage of a noble back then would not make a lot of sense to me in present day terms. A large portion of the period text on war by Christine Pizan addresses appropriate circumstances during which an opponent can fairly be seized and ransomed. There is no shortage of period anecdotes illustrating that knights were often targets for ransom. Similarly, the knights equipment itself was a valuable target. Pizan devoted an entire section of her text to the possibility of knights in route for employment being attacked by brigands and robbed of their gear! Subsequent sections on how the Lord who offered employment should or should not compensate them was rather boring actually.

it can be difficult to "gently" fall off of a galloping horse, even unarmored. Most Event riders I know have a concussion or serious problem every couple of years, and those are due to unarmoured falls with modern high technology riding helmets. An extra 40 to 60 lbs of gear would not help the rider or horse in my opinion. I made an effort to track (spreadsheet) deaths in tournament a couple of years ago. About half of deaths turned out to be incidental from falls off of horse or being trampled after the fall. The amount of period data is not significant, but the risks to an equestrian should not be dismissed arbitrarily. If simply riding to go from point A to point B, I would rather have gear suited for comfortable and good control of the horse.

Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared,

I agree that wearing of armour can be an addition to tiring of a knight or soldier but I assume that the fighting does a great deal of the tiring on its own.

I used to run distance and after our small usually just under 20 minutes you run for meets you feel ok. This is only because on the rest of the week you ran 2-4 times as far conditioning yourself so that you can do the 3 miles. One day I ran 30-40 miles plus in a day and I was beat, totally and utterly, but I was able to do it. The next day I certainly would have been unable to do it again. My point being we can condition ourselves to do set things with ease but really our conditioning also allows us the ability to push ourselves much, much further than normal but these unforseen events may still sap us of all energy we have. I could not in anyway run that far today sadly.

Of course battle also has a way of 'compelling' one to keep going, the options are fairly stark.

Ah Stamford, one of my all time favorite battled. I lived for some time not far from Fulford and Stamford. At Stamford it seems the army had their mail shirts off but it appears they were not with them meaning perhaps they were likely in some wagon transport. The reason seemingly is so the lead groups have speed and can get there quickly. You will also note that Harald's group arrives armoured. So why one group is and the other is not? It would likely be tactical. I think it had to do with the first groups reaching York before their enemy. In this they failed but if that had reached the town the fortifications there would have negated their lack of mail. It is also interesting that in the end that Harald removes his armour in the heat of battle....

I do not know which story about the normans you are relating but the context is likely the key.

Getting pranced on by a 1500-2000 pound horse cannot help a fall I agree 100% with that. The question would be is the damage worse falling in armour? I know of people who have had serious injure falling unarmoured from horse or worse in our time. The Second is, is it much harder to control a horse with armour. I did not find it so when I did some jousting, though I never had any really bad falls to further that one.

RPM
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For once, we know how the scandinavians transported their mail: in chests on the ships.
There are several descriptions of this, including examples where one captures the enemy ships in port, and thus capture their equipment.

At home, they would have horses for riding and transportation. After a naval landing, however, these would be lacking, and you would have to carry the armour yourself.
Thus, it could make sense that they decided not to bother with it, since they where in a hurry.

One should of course be aware that Snorre Sturlson tends to be overly dramatic, and the removing of the armour could be a way of showing how the kings rashness and hubris brings him down.

In a later saga (not by Snorre) there is a instance where Erling Skakke, the father of the ruling king, is killed in battle because he does not button up his Lammellar before going into battle, and recieves a spear thrust in the belly.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I read an account on a forum somewhere (I'm sorry, I can't find it now) a while back where someone had posted what was supposedly a translation of a period letter written from a country knight (probably a small land owner as well) to a city-dwelling counterpart. He nearly calls his urban friend an idiot for believing that country knights have an easy life. He goes on to explain the dangers and complexities of living outside of the cities, and mentions that he dare not go outside for any length of time without armoring up first, for fear of kidnapping attempts.

I found it interesting, but take it with a grain of salt as I can't find the source.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armour and arms worn when not in battle.
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: