Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Messerfechten Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Messerfechten         Reply with quote

I read in another thread about Bill Grandy's exploration of "messerfechten" so rather than hijack that thread I decided to start another.

I run a HEMA club at the high school where I work. The students currently are focused in German Longsword in the Liechtenauer tradition. Next year I would like to expand the curriculum, and since I currently have a messer in the works from Ollin, I think messerfechten would be a logical choice. (Logical in the selfish sense Happy)

What are the best manuals or texts to gather to work from? I understand Ochs has a messer video, can any (or all) of you recommend other sources of instruction?

" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Messerfechten         Reply with quote

Allen Andrews wrote:
I read in another thread about Bill Grandy's exploration of "messerfechten" so rather than hijack that thread I decided to start another.

I run a HEMA club at the high school where I work. The students currently are focused in German Longsword in the Liechtenauer tradition. Next year I would like to expand the curriculum, and since I currently have a messer in the works from Ollin, I think messerfechten would be a logical choice. (Logical in the selfish sense Happy)

What are the best manuals or texts to gather to work from? I understand Ochs has a messer video, can any (or all) of you recommend other sources of instruction?

Hi Allen,
Funny, I've received several PM's about this in the past 24 hours. Happy I'm very glad to hear people are taking interest in what I think is a wonderful art!

The Ochs DVD is quite excellent. I've been lucky enough to take some workshops with Hans Heim, and the DVD is the next best thing. (though it misses much of his hilarious sense of humor!) I did a review of it in the recent Western Martial Arts Illustrated that is more in depth than this, but the basic gist was that I was very impressed with the material, presentation, and logical progression of the DVD. Though there were a couple incredibly minor bugs (such as one section where there is a glitch and the DVD will loop). Still, it is well worth the price.

Text-wise, Dr. Forgeng's translation of Lekuchner should be coming out relatively soon from Chivalry Bookshelf under the title The Art of Falchion Combat. At the moment, I've largely been working with the Peter Falkner manuscript, but I'm not sure where you can publically get that. For a slightly different version of the tradition, you can also look into the dussack section Joachim Meyer's treatise, which is published under the name of Art of Combat through Greenhill, translated by Dr. Forgeng.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another good resource is Albrecht Duerer's fechtbuch.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Messerfechten
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic