Messerfechten
I read in another thread about Bill Grandy's exploration of "messerfechten" so rather than hijack that thread I decided to start another.

I run a HEMA club at the high school where I work. The students currently are focused in German Longsword in the Liechtenauer tradition. Next year I would like to expand the curriculum, and since I currently have a messer in the works from Ollin, I think messerfechten would be a logical choice. (Logical in the selfish sense :))

What are the best manuals or texts to gather to work from? I understand Ochs has a messer video, can any (or all) of you recommend other sources of instruction?
Re: Messerfechten
Allen Andrews wrote:
I read in another thread about Bill Grandy's exploration of "messerfechten" so rather than hijack that thread I decided to start another.

I run a HEMA club at the high school where I work. The students currently are focused in German Longsword in the Liechtenauer tradition. Next year I would like to expand the curriculum, and since I currently have a messer in the works from Ollin, I think messerfechten would be a logical choice. (Logical in the selfish sense :))

What are the best manuals or texts to gather to work from? I understand Ochs has a messer video, can any (or all) of you recommend other sources of instruction?

Hi Allen,
Funny, I've received several PM's about this in the past 24 hours. :) I'm very glad to hear people are taking interest in what I think is a wonderful art!

The Ochs DVD is quite excellent. I've been lucky enough to take some workshops with Hans Heim, and the DVD is the next best thing. (though it misses much of his hilarious sense of humor!) I did a review of it in the recent Western Martial Arts Illustrated that is more in depth than this, but the basic gist was that I was very impressed with the material, presentation, and logical progression of the DVD. Though there were a couple incredibly minor bugs (such as one section where there is a glitch and the DVD will loop). Still, it is well worth the price.

Text-wise, Dr. Forgeng's translation of Lekuchner should be coming out relatively soon from Chivalry Bookshelf under the title The Art of Falchion Combat. At the moment, I've largely been working with the Peter Falkner manuscript, but I'm not sure where you can publically get that. For a slightly different version of the tradition, you can also look into the dussack section Joachim Meyer's treatise, which is published under the name of Art of Combat through Greenhill, translated by Dr. Forgeng.
Another good resource is Albrecht Duerer's fechtbuch.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: