Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Or Most Important Sword In Collection? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Nick B.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorite sword is my Albion Vinland but when I get a Albion Valkyrja it will be my favorite. In fact the Valkyrja may become my burial sword. No, I'm not going to tell any of you where my grave site will be, not that I'm planning on being there any time soon.

Attachment: 109.65 KB
[ Download ]
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By Patrick Barta.

Cool

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorite sword is my "Sinclair Hilt" by Erik Stevenson (mounted on a highly-modified Angus Trim blade).

Why? It feels absolutely great in the hand, has wonderful details, and closely matches (at least in the hilt) the historical inspiration:

I had an opportunity to purchase the antique at one point but passed on the chance. The cost was hard for me to justify. (I can't remember exactly what the asking price was at this point...)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Tim May

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This one is easy for me because my collection of "real" swords just began with Windlass' Sword of Auray, a sword I have seen in the Philadelphia Museum in person, so it's the favorite, though that stainless steel viking sword from eBay sure is a close second Wink
Though not a high end piece, it's a lot of fun, quick in hand, and good for test cutting, definitely a great buy for a first sword
Dan P

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've only got one custom sword, my Darkwood Armory rapier, so its the obvious choice for the centerpiece of my small collection.
But probably the one I'd take if I actually had to sell all but one is my Cold Steel naval dirk, because its the sword (well, kind of a sword) that I've had for the longest time and have practiced the most with.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorite is usually my most recently aquired, if and when it isn't then I may have made a backstep in my collection. However, my focus tends to shift from one piece to another fairly frequently so it might be hard to tell which is my favorite from observing which sword I am dragging around the house on any given Saturday morning, looking for my coffee...

I have weeded out most of the lower end stuff and now have only 1 or 2 swords that are expendable unless things get really tight.

My most important piece has to be my Regent at the moment simply because it probably has the highest value. Running a very close second are my early English basket hilt and my German sidesword, both have customized Darkwood hilts and modified Del Tin blades, these are unique and important to me because of the work that I put into them.
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right now its a two handed XIIIA. The sword illustrates just how massive the XIIIA could be, yet well balanced and easy to handle. Not to mention that they are increasingly hard to find these days

Attachment: 67.1 KB
103_0330.jpg

Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Favorite is my Barta Fetter Lane...

ks

Attachment: 99.66 KB
FetterLaneAll.jpg

Attachment: 95.01 KB
FetterLaneHilt.jpg

Attachment: 97.58 KB
FetterLaneHilt.2.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorites -

Albion Castellan - a great looking sword, distinctive pommel that cradles your left hand, very fast and fun to wield with one or two hands - a real bastard.

Eljay/ATrim English baskethilt - just beautiful.

Favorite blunt - ATrim SB1450 - it's a big sword but easy to use because of its great balance.

Attachment: 59.71 KB
DSCN2461.JPG
Albion Castellan

Attachment: 20.65 KB
eljay basket hilt.jpg
Eljay/ATrim English Baskethilt backsword

Attachment: 25.51 KB
sb1450a.jpg
ATrim SB1450
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I guess for me it has to be my Norman. I have a Solingen, Templar, Reeve, and Duke, but there is just something about the grip shape in connection with the handling of this sword that I really like.

Jeremy
Chris Boatcallie

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a very difficult question for me too. I love them all. If I didn't, I would have never bought them to begin with. I am very selective of which make and model of blade I buy. Like many of you, I like variety in my collection that represent different time periods and cultures. For instance, I REALLY, REALLY wanted to buy the Albion Valkyrja, but already have a Vinland that is too similiar in blade design for me to justify buying one ..... so that leaves me with what I do have.

I love my Albion Vinland due to the knotwork and hilt design. It is a very attractive sword to me, but it just isn't as comfortable to cut with as other blades in my collection. I love the feel and balance of the Albion Knight. It is light, responsive, and feels right. I love the Albion Allectus Gladius because of the connection to my Roman ancestry (50%) and its simplicity. I like my Bugei Crane Katana and Wakizashi because of my training in Eastern martial arts and because of the sheer power in cutting they offer. I even like my Windlass Steelcrafts Falcata because of how solid it feels and its cutting ability (more like an axe, but still fun to play with on occassion).

So that leaves me with what I think my favorite for the time being is; the Arms and Armor gold plated Elizabethan Rapier and Dagger set I got last Saturday. It is just beautiful to behold. I can't stop taking it out of the safe and looking at it and playing with it. Even though I have zero training with a Rapier (unless college fencing counts), it is just an amazing looking weapon.

Of course, like many others here (and I am sure you know what I mean Wink ), that may change soon enough. I have an Albion Gallowglass getting delivered tomorrow which will get an instant connection with me due to the other 50% of my heritage, and due to the fact that I seem to be in an Irish obsession phase. I am spending the majority of my violin practice in Irish/Celtic music instead of the normal classical and am researching the culture more. I am also waiting on an Angus Trim 1403 within the next month and a half or so along with Jean. We will see how I like it once I get my hands on it.

I also have my list of future purchases that will be added to my collection soon enough within the next year or two: Either a Castle Keep or Armour Class Basket Hilt at the top of that list and then an Albion Spatha right behind it so I am glad to see people here like their basket hilts and mortuary swords. It makes me more excited about getting them in the future. Big Grin

Oh, I totally forgot about my acid etched cavalry saber because it isn't a sharpened higher end sword. I have a saber with etching down the blade from my days at Texas A&M in the ROTC program. I would have to say that I could never part with it because of the sentimental attachment of spending four years in the Corps of Cadets. It may not be a cutter or my favorite, but I will never part with it because of the work it took to "earn" it.

EDITED 2-14-2008: I got the Gallowglass last night. WOW! Hands down my favorite. Pictures do not do it justice. It is absolutely beautiful. It was also suprisingly light and well balanced with either one or both hands. It definately feels right to me.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
The most important sword in my collection is an easy choice for me. That would be my European Hanger, made by Vince Evans.

This was the piece that Vince submitted for the Masters of Fire Exhibition at Macao Museum of Art in 2006.

A superb sword! I'd vote for this as the best sword of the whole exhibition (based on the catalog) Superbly superb!.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Jess Rozek

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My most important sword in my collection of three is my first "real" metal sword - a wakizashi I bought in Toledo, Spain. Unlike most stainless steel swords, I made a memorable memory with it. I tried to be "cool" and practice a cut with a low hanging Japanese lantern light above my head. The blade was rather sharp and on the downswing, I sliced through the lightbulb and destroyed the lantern. Might I mention the light wasn't mine and belonged to my host sibling. I did NOT want to explain why I had sliced through her lightbulb in Spanish, in the middle of the night Happy Good times!

Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorite and most important (to me) is my BKS custom type XIIa. Based on my own design, it's my personal favorite aesthetically and is also my best cutter.

Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorites are Laird by Odinblades, a James Raw mounted by Lohman, and an
ATrim 1508.

Honorable mention goes to an Albion Regent and an Albion Squire

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
Richard B. Price

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: A few of Your favorite things,         Reply with quote

As I sit and polish my collection, my bi-yearly care and feeding session, I pause and wonder, what of my 15 or so varied weapons are my favorite. I settled on my Atrim Dn1506. It's long and lean and very light in the hand, I have cut many an unsuspecting pool noodle and cardboard tube. To date it is my most expensive purchase, yet it is the one I am most proud of, mostly because it was my first purchase as an adult, the first thing I ever really worked for. I remember the hours of deliberation on which blade I wanted more. Ultimately I found the 1506 and fell in love. I figured it was a good start to my collection.
So this has me wondering, which/what is your most valued blade and why?

"We shall never know lasting peace until the last king has been strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For some odd reason I have no real favorites right now. Perhaps when some commissions come in and I have enough in the collection to worry about defining favorites, I'll choose one. For now I have single sword. An Albion Ringeck with a nice scabbard. I have a custom A&A glaive that is likely going up for sale soon. I have a nice fighting knife from Todd's Stuff that might also go up for sale depending on how things work out (I spent some money on bicycle wheels that I didn't really have to spare and I will incidentally have to sell some other bicycle wheels now as well).

Maybe that makes the Ringeck favorite by default?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
James Anderson III

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorite is probably my Hanwei Great Sword of War or the Hanwei Long Sword.

My most important is definitely my mid to late 19th century masonic family heirloom. Very ornately done with inlays and engravings, clearly never meant for combat. Sorry for the bad (cell phone) pictures:

Few more pictures here: http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/jba3/me...nic_sword/

Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent
Knight, Order of the Marshal
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jun, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For years my favorite sword was my humble Windlass 'Transitional Viking Sword' which just seems like a perfect sword to me and helped define the area of focus my collection has now. Perhaps I got lucky, but it balances pretty well for the type and in fit and finish this particular sword remains every bit as good as most of the higher end swords I own now (indeed better than a sword I recently purchased for $775).

However, as for importance right now I'd have to go with one of my more recent swords - the custom O pommel sword made by A&A. Its a unique piece. I learned a lot researching this sword and it just came out so perfectly.

Here's the review: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=219004
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jun, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My sword collection is down to just four pieces but my favorite is my Odinblades short sword.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Or Most Important Sword In Collection?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: