Go to page 1, 2  Next

Great video on youtube
longsword 1-1--really well done

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4Ng6DBfrg
I've had this and the other one from Gladiatores.de on my Youtube "favorites" list for a good while.

Nicely done indeed. they are using Lutel, Pavel Moc and Albion swords in the videos. I asked them about the swords when I first started watching. They said the realy flexy one's were the Pavel Mocs.

Auf Wiedersehen,

Bill
I love this video. Well done, beautiful background and great costumes. The sword work was excellent.
Humm...cool...something I can share at my friday meetings with history geeks :) .
That was wonderful to watch. A lot of really cool stuff in there I'd never seen in action before, not being very familiar with WMA.
Really well done just doesn't do it justice, at least for me. After seeing that (I've been watching that and the other posted to youtube for about a month now) I've been trying to take it apart and learn what I can. My friend and I started a study group and we've been learning their interpretation of those plays and techniques ever since I stumbled upon them. They've become required viewing in my group now. Would you happen to know if they have any video instruction available? The sites in German so the most I can make out is the word contact. Here's the link for those who don't have it.

http://gladiatores.de/index.html
Mike Capanelli wrote:
Really well done just doesn't do it justice, at least for me. After seeing that (I've been watching that and the other posted to youtube for about a month now) I've been trying to take it apart and learn what I can. My friend and I started a study group and we've been learning their interpretation of those plays and techniques ever since I stumbled upon them. They've become required viewing in my group now. Would you happen to know if they have any video instruction available? The sites in German so the most I can make out is the word contact. Here's the link for those who don't have it.

http://gladiatores.de/index.html

Been doing close to the same thing as far as watching over and over again and with using Christian Toblers' book "Fighting with the German longsword" , it's helping to see things in motion.

Don't think they have a instructional video out, but have seen where they've said that they are working on posting more vid's on Youtube.

There is another video there titled "Kupferstich & Eberhau" with the one fellow - Sven Baumgarten- explaing things. My conversational German is not quite that good yet, so I can catch bits & pieces of what he's talking about.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by William Goodwin on Wed 06 Feb, 2008 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Re: Great video on youtube
This is a very good video. Not only is the background is not only beautiful but it also makes it easy to focus on the actions being shown.
Quote:
Been doing close to the same thing as far as watching over and over again and with using Christian Tolbers' book "Fighting with the German longsword" , it's helping to see things in motion.

I'd been practicing with that book for a few months before it occurred to me that there might be YouTube videos.
This was great to watch! Some of the "related videos" are great too. Nice find.
One of my favorites. I show it to new people to WMA to show them that longswordsmanship is more than crudely swinging around some metal object.

M.
Great looking video and although things seem to be moving at close if not full speed the move seem clear to see.

If they are not going full speed they slowed thing s down just enough that one can read the action: Some videos just blur out or shot from bad angles that even if one views at a slower speed or moves the video frame by frame it's still difficult to figure out.

I've " BOOKMARKED " that site for later viewing and forwarded the link to my longsword teacher ( I would say master but I don't want to start that argument. ;) :lol: )
as far as i know another german school named OCHS has produced one or more videos-iŽll check and post the link.

I bought one last week at amazon-till now i had just the time for a short look-but ist promising

http://www.amazon.de/Langes-Schwert-Teil-Joha...amp;sr=1-1
The video editing and overall presentation is first class. It is not at full speed. Some of the counters are made at about 3/4 speed while the initial cuts are at about 1/2 speed. So the video shows more of the inventory of possibilities. It is a very good video that shows the variety of moves and that showcases the art of the matter. Eye candy to a practitioner of HEMA.
Peter G. wrote:
as far as i know another german school named OCHS has produced one or more videos-iŽll check and post the link.

I bought one last week at amazon-till now i had just the time for a short look-but ist promising

http://www.amazon.de/Langes-Schwert-Teil-Joha...amp;sr=1-1

I've had that video for a year now. It's well worth the price and has proved invaluable in my study of this art. I'm starting to think it's time for me to move to Germany.....LOL.
In thi way we fencing in Czech more 20 years. Swen Baumgarten ist one of the best followner in Germany in field of medieval fencing our Master Peter Koza.
I am warranting that you can not use videos, books for ability controling sword, body in low speed and fight speed with outcome that you can see on gladiatores.
I was watching Swen for three year ago. He exercise wery much and he often visit Master Koza (he was kick boxer)
Endlich schatzte jemand unser alter Master in Ausland ein. Aber ich habe Angst vor die Tatsache: zu Lebzeiten unbekannt aber mit der Zeit verhimmelt.
Vaclav Homan wrote:
In thi way we fencing in Czech more 20 years. Swen Baumgarten ist one of the best followner in Germany in field of medieval fencing our Master Peter Koza.
I am warranting that you can not use videos, books for ability controling sword, body in low speed and fight speed with outcome that you can see on gladiatores.
I was watching Swen for three year ago. He exercise wery much and he often visit Master Koza (he was kick boxer)
Endlich schatzte jemand unser alter Master in Ausland ein. Aber ich habe Angst vor die Tatsache: zu Lebzeiten unbekannt aber mit der Zeit verhimmelt.

I hear what your saying man. Remember though that for some of us here in the states it's the ONLY way we can learn.
It is indeed a very good video. I hope more people put up videos like this that put WMA in such a respectable light. While I myself don't train with period clothes, I'm happy to see a group doing so in a way that makes people understand that medieval clothing does not negate good training. (There are a number of people out there who like to write off people who wear proper garb.)
It is true. The best understanding historical fencing is throuhg garb wearing. In the fact historical shoes are different (ballet dancer schoes).
About swords Albion, Pavel Moc, Lutel, Cervinka ..... I mean all have good swords for practise. It is depends on individual preference.
In this time I have medievale forge with sack and I can make whot I will for execise fencing. I am not fear that I break dowvn my sword (I can make new).
Very cool videos. :cool:

This video has really helped me visualize what real medieval long sword combat might have been like, rather than having my perceptions coloured by stage fighting and films. Also its interesting how similar the fights are to Japanese sword duels, that is very short and deadly (I'm reminded of scenes in the Seven Samurai), no fencing, just attack, defence and or counter attack.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: