Rapier Baldric?
I was in my Art History lecture on Friday reviewing art from the 16th Century when this painting struck me. It appears that the subject, Charles I, is wearing a baldric for his rapier, rather than the elaborate suspension/belt system that I usually associate with rapiers. Is this accurate, or is it an anachronism? The painting is by Anthony Van Dyck, circa 1635.

[ Linked Image ]
By 1635 rapiers (and indeed all swords) were almost excusively worn on baldrics. I can't recall seeing the Elizabethan style belt suspension much past 1615-20.

Cheers
Stephen
try Gerard Terbocrch The Fatherly Admonition." c. 1654-55 or his "A Dancing Couple" c. 1660 Both shown girdles with attached hangers. Not as complex as earlier sword belts but still not baldrics. I'n sure I've got more at home so I'll have a look...
Another one or two
Thought so, Van Dyck Charles I in armour on horse back. dated c.1635 appeasr to be a hanger possibly on a girdle, possibly attached to the armour. Or there's Vrancx "Pillaging after a battle" dated 1647, which very clearly shows a sword in sheath with hanger attached.

I suspect fashion affects the style of sword belt/baldric used, the looser, shorter doublets of the later 1640's don't suit a girdle and hanger

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: