Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Replica or authentic? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

as the topic was looking at A&A pieces I would suggest the italian three ring rapier, it is long enough to be used from horseback, relatively well balanced and the long thin blade when sharpened is quite enough to explain to the lead dog that he made a poor choice, or atleast his pack, this combined with thos darn horse hooves.

theres a review of the sword in the reviews section, I own two of them and use the one with the dull edge for 99% of all my rapier work both on stage and in classes. and the sharp one is for cutting of course, never use dit one a dog.

you could also order a cheap polemace or spear from Bud-K and cut it down to size.
L. Bailey

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really dont think there is any need for a high-end sword in this case.

There are some great riding swords out there, mostly sabers, that are not only effective but could give you the thrill of feeling like a European Mounted General of old.

http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-1796-lig...5d7bccb3cc

http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-1830-nap...-2157.html

http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-1908-ind...-2155.html

http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-battle-r...-2154.html

http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-1860-hea...-2150.html

And another piece, not a riding sword but could deinately do some damage:

http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-small-sw...-1965.html

"Trueswords" really doesnt sell the best stuff but their prices on Cold Steel is unbeatable.
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter.

She's a beautiful horse! I think the sword is something you fancy. Not necessary but comforting perhaps? She looks smart, Peter. I can see why you like to spend time with her. I'm sure you'll choose the sword that fits you best, but, you don't look like a saber man to me. I really like the looks of that mare. Enjoy her, amigo.

Ron
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Olsen wrote:
as the topic was looking at A&A pieces

No it was not. A&A were mentioned as an example of the budget.

A mace is no option and I already mentioned I HAVE several spears but that those are a NoNo for nightly X-country.

I will follow up your links given L.Bailey and thanks for your contribution. Unfortunately my desire to use the blade for excersize purposes too and the fact I like ' nice' carries a price tag. Wish it would not Big Grin

I recieved a very stimulating illustration that I would like to share: I LOVE the simplicity of the solution to carry the sabre...

Peter
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
Peter.

She's a beautiful horse! I think the sword is something you fancy. Not necessary but comforting perhaps? She looks smart, Peter. I can see why you like to spend time with her. I'm sure you'll choose the sword that fits you best, but, you don't look like a saber man to me. I really like the looks of that mare. Enjoy her, amigo.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I will tell her.
Have a look at the harem stallion:
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-PNF48XFE.jpg
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-J4KSTVBD.jpg
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-FC4ZKZZ6.jpg

Spot on about the sabre: I like the smallsword and jian a dimension better but single edge cutter do have their merits when mounted.

The comfort thing is it, yes. That is why it needs to GIVE comfort, be a nice example of the species otherwise it would defeat the purpose. If the thing gives me comfort, makes me feel secure, feels right, this improves my riding Idea
Like a helmet there is an edge to that (pun intended). It is calles the 'relativiveiligheidstheorie of HC' which translates to something like the 'safetyrelativitytheory' and points out the pitfall of false security. Like I put on the helmet for rough-rides which in effect means the helmet incrments risc as I would nog do the rough-riding without it Wink
The sword will however not be a case of flase security as I already do what I do and the added feel-good will simply add safety....
Can you still follow me? Laughing Out Loud

peter

peter
Konstantin Tsvetkov

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

I don't think you really need a sword or gun for this purpose. Cold Steel 54" BLACK SJAMBOK or similar long whip would work fine, I suppose.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Konstantin Tsvetkov wrote:

I don't think you really need a sword or gun for this purpose. Cold Steel 54" BLACK SJAMBOK or similar long whip would work fine, I suppose.

As mentioned a whip will unsettle the horse(s) and is impossible to use in the tight spots where the issue arises. I have a saddle gun and a license but that is a NoNo as described earlier.

It can be even simpler Idea
Over here it is still customary, daily, practice for the goat herders to carry and use a sling and during daytime this is VERY effective against anything but useless at night and among trees.
You can buy them in the village and they are deadly. At the fiesta in Morales, the nameday of the patron of a barrio at the other side of the hillock we live at the foot of, a slingthrow competition is a pillar of the event and a wooden orange crate is completely destroyed at 50 yards by a single hit. Alas, not an option, would be rock bottom (pun intended) cheap.

peter
R D Moore

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

Yes, I follow you. Look at these swords http://www.fredericksantiqueswords.com/html/catalog.html pages 18 through 26 look interesting.

Your stallion has great lines, Peter. The second picture says it all. He's lived a while but he's strong and alert. Another good horse. Pure Lipizzan?

Ron
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about one the Albion Squire line swords ?

They are blunt, so there is less chance of accidently cut your horse or yourself, and you won't hurt a dog too much unless you really want to. Plus, they're nice and relatively inexpensive.

Imagine yourself riding at night with this beauty at hand...

I think the key is to look at swords which were meant to be used on horseback. As someone else pointed out, a cavalry saber would be great also...

Too bad there's no good production shop selling copies of Tizona... Cool

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
Another good horse. Pure Lipizzan?

Related: the Lipizan is a descendant of andalucian ancestry and my guy is andalucian x barb-arab. Where we live the andalucian had endemic ancestors. At two hours on horseback there is a natural salt lick at the edge of the guadalquivir plane where the ancestral iberian wild roamed. At two days riding still at the egde of the same plane there is prehistoric cave art depicting a 'fascimile copy' of another mare of ours.

The stallion already has fathered quality offspring but is still a pup realy and just reaching maturity. I expect him to gain a lot of muscle this year as I he is ready for a tough training program now. As he is rather complicated in his colour gene make-up he will never be white but he still is in a relatively dark fase.

Present day purebred andalucian is too heavy for my purpose and the barb is of the same genetic origin providing ' outcross' value. The arab part adds 'hybrid power'. Him being harem stallion material between his ears was the reason I chose him from the herd he was born in.
He is a dream to ride: http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-R6YAKHXM.jpg
and this is how he is after a few hours under the saddle under the spanish sun http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-GFAN4MMM.jpg
It is a pity I do not have fotos of it but he is rather rugged all terrain and my wife cannot keep up so we have a lot of fun racing with her on a motorcycle Laughing Out Loud

Anyway, back on topic I have decided that the feel-good factor needs to weigh the heaviest independant of whatever.

peter
R D Moore

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apologies!! Off Topic!!

Yes, the second group of photos clearly show his youth. And I can see the Bard-Arab in his frame. Ahh, sunshine! I miss it dearly!

Now, back to your search for a sword.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay so no gun(best choice).

And no spear (second best choice)

And no hickory staff (3rd best choice)

And sabers don't appeal to your senses (4th best choice)

Umm at this point, I think any sword you like the look of will suit your purpose. It is a false sense of security as you are basically ignoring MUCH better options for what you feel to be astectically pleasing. I have gone on country rides with a spears or hickory stick and other then what you feel the moment should be(especially the spear since it does feel a bit militant), it is not a hinderance to the actually riding (assuming you secure the spear in a pennant holder...the hickory stick is much easier to deal with...but of little use if you need a last line of defense against running into a boar unexpected...yes it happens, one of my friends is crippled in his left leg for life from a night's ride and running into a nursing sow. Lucky for him that his wife had the good sense to have a .454 casul sidearm). If I was going sword for a practical horseback usage, I would look no further then the calvary sabers. I mean really, the calvary sabers were used by calvary for a reason after all.

Now despite all this, I think you have the right to do what you want so if you like small swords, I think the A&A small sword would work well for what you want. Or something from darkwood armoury maybe? The doge from albion...it's blade is pretty long for reaching those dogs. For me, with your restrictions, I think I'd pick the doge personally.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
Ahh, sunshine! I miss it dearly!

>300 days/year off those here: 7 month summer with hardly a cloudy day http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-LEWVI4VA.jpg

peter
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, yes I would also recommend the Doge, but I am influenced by the fact that I have one on order. Wink Laughing Out Loud

As to cutting the dog in half: Maybe I was being over dramatic but the capability to do it is part of the continuum of force going from display to vigourous waiving in a threatening manner to actual light hits or cuts. The extreme of going to lethal force being reserved for only extreme danger to yourself and your horse.

In large part I think it's the pleasure of wearing a sword in itself plus having it just in case: The point being that wanting to do something is reason enough to do it as long as there are no practical reasons not to ! ( Legal, moral or logical ).

I completely understand that doing serious harm to a dog is the last thing you want to do, but you want a means to do it if unavoidable.

Other options, the Coldsteel city sticks are very strong and fast if using it holding near the steel head and mace like if held at the end or middle of the shaft. Fibreglass construction makes them very much indestructible:
http://www.coldsteel.com/citystick.html

Where legal to own or carry or where the laws are applied " intelligently " as you mentioned the sword cane versions might be good for you: http://www.coldsteel.com/88scm.html

An antique sword cane would also worth considering.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

are you living in the same country I am? Still, my behind sores on the lack of a nice stallion/mare/gelding to go through the woods, I wish I would have your spot of trouble...
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Buenas P.Cha, your observations have foundations that mostly do not apply.
P.e. th spears I have are custom made by myself and can do just about everything carrying one. In hand as a holder does releive the weight but also fixates the stirrup and the position of the spear both of which is unacceptabe cross country.
The weight of my spears is a well balanced 350 and 660 grammes so no problem to hold them in hand. The biggest challenge is to take both real wind and relative wind into account and mind the low growth or the branches. You have to anticipate this as you are too late if you find you have the position wrong slowing down, out of a strong headwind riding into an olive grove Big Grin

My training of the horses is all about them thinking for themselves. I ride with confidence in mooless nights as they will inform me well in time of boar and ganado bravo (fighting bulls) allthough my nightly rides are into the mountain nature where only goats roam. Mountain goats too btw; VERY impressive and even more shy but I do occasionally see them early in the morning.
The dogs are a bit of a problem as those move swiftly, fouraging. The horses will nevertheless spot them and I will notice they did both except in wooded areas where it is most inconvenient. That's Murphy I guess.....

However much I like the smallsword, it is only good for poking at things and it has less effect that a slash with even a blunt heavier blade.
However much I like the jian the wel made ones are, as traditionally, too short. The wellmade han-jians are beyond my budget otherwise my choice.
This one has a 80 cm blade and a p.o.b. at 8 cm. weighing just under a kg:
http://www.zheng-wu.com/jian/08hanjianls.htm

Many sabres are very apt for both slashing and poking even if most are on the short side as intended for war = human = far taller targets. I simply do not like the feel and look of most. If I would encounter a wellmade, relatively straight mamluk sword with a false edge and lively p.o.b. I would be seriously tempted.

As it stands the choice is between restoring an old jian blade into a sword of to buy a quality replica.....

peter
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, like I said, with your limitations, I'd pick the doge. I like how it looks (not a saber man myself either) and it is long enough for what you need it for. I don't know exactly what it's like where you ride, so I'll take your word for it that the spear is just to unwieldy (I have no problems in california's sierra nevada...but it's not the same as spain after all Happy )...but that does not negate it as a better option in general. Anyways take a look at the albion's doge and see if you like how it looks.
Martin Whalen

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I doubt you'll find an attractive and solid antique for a good price. I would look around A&A, as has been suggested many times before, it seems the best option. I'm not a huge fan of A&A because they don't have many older styles, but for what you want, it's the perfect company imo.
Luceo Non Uro.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I mentioned A&A because I have asked (and promptly received) a quote on a custom piece. Yes they are on the short list.

I do not know what country you live Bram; I live on and off an old river cottage in the mountainous heartland of andalucia.

You hit the nail Jean and I want the ' because I might' to add a feel good not crude Wink

As I live in inner andalucia it is not at all out of the ordinary to carry a machete or ride with a garrocha (long pole). Also this is one of the few places in Europe where a bow is not illegal for hunting.
In this village specifically the blunderbuss types are ' welcomed' as the name of it is Villanueva del Trabuco, 'trabuco' being the blunderbuss and this area was a stronghold for the bandoleros for many centuries untill very recent.
In just about every other local family there is a trabuco replica in the house, most non-functional. A furniture shop in town has a stand with two dozen different models for sale Eek!
We have one on the wall of the holiday house we let.
Now, I would not think of it but IF I would happen ride through town with my flintlock saddle gun everybody will assume it is one of those fakes.

One of my priorities is to make a protective leather sheeth for the spearhead so as not to offend tourists. I am still figuring a way to secure it in a way that can be swiftly undone.
I am also still deciding on a way to attach a cord. I like the chinese cord wrap but have not yet acquired the right skill to prevent it slipping. Writing about is now however has Idea as so often....

peter
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
One of my priorities is to make a protective leather sheeth for the spearhead so as not to offend tourists. I am still figuring a way to secure it in a way that can be swiftly undone.

I don't know if it's just me, but if I were to come across a guy on a horse with a spear while doing some cross-country or hiking, my first reaction would not to be offended. Would be more like "Damn, this country is so great, can I live here ?".... Laughing Out Loud

You seem to like chinese sword.... maybe you can find a long jian repro for under 1000 dollars on ebay ?

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Replica or authentic?
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: