Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A&A Mystery sword!! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: A&A Mystery sword!!         Reply with quote

I noticed an A&A sword in one of the photos accompanying the WMAW 2007 article that I don't recognize and can't find on their website. At least I don't think I can find it. I've crudely circled it in the attached image and I'm curious if anybody knows anything about it.

Attachment: 49.92 KB
Myarmpic.jpg

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Thu 31 Jan, 2008 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Whatzat sword?         Reply with quote

I'm stumped too, Joe.

It may be a one-off piece. I own a customer declined custom sword they made back in 2002 that has a turban-esqe pommel, opposite bent and twisted arm cross and a rather archaic parallel-sided, rounded tip blade. I was told it was early 16th century Italian, but I've yet to find an exact historical sword to compare it to. Also, when I was at the Bristol Ren Faire last summer, the A&A guys had a one-off sword similar to their Henry V, but with differences (I wasn't able to get it Cry ).

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good catch. I'd like to know what it is too.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oooh, a mystery sword! Surprised

*dun-dun-dunnnn* Laughing Out Loud

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A long gripped Urbino with a different cross mebbe. Here is an Urbino hilted Edward blade that folk are probably sick of my showing off by now. Also one Russ came up with that was never confirmed as A&A (IIRC).

Cheers

GC
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's the French Medieval Sword (Wallace collection Type XV) pommel with the guard from one of their training swords (the sword next to it's guard looks identical) with a blade from the Erbach or other biig XVIIIa.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, I don't remember, so I guess Craig will have to chime in. But if I recall correctly, I think Chad is right: It was a one-off with combined hilt components: French medieval pommel, Fechtbuch guard, and one of the bigger blades... though as I said, I don't quite remember for certain. I think I was too busy buying other A&A stuff at the time. Happy
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny, I considered asking about this "mystery sword" about a week ago. I guess us sword folk tend to look at every little detail (I know I do).
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would venture to say that it is combination of hilt components on a Durer blade. At the Bristol Faire in the summer of 2006 they had a couple of single grip swords that were entitled "Medieval Swords" and they were extra blades for which there were not the correct components to make them into one of their featured production swords so they had various pommels and crossguards on them and sold them as Medieval swords at a very FAIR (pardon the pun Laughing Out Loud ) price!

With a bit of humor,

Bob

PS Hey Craig, "If I guessed this right, do I win a free sword?" LOL
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

it's a one off that they were selling at the Mn renaissance festival this past season, I think it's just called "sword of war" it handles really nicely (I have played with it several times,) has a good hand and a half grip, I am going over to their shop today so unless craig beats me to it I can ask one of the guys what it is and can post a little later..
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd lay odds that it's the blade for the Durer Bastard Sword!

That's my vote. lol

Bob
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
A long gripped Urbino with a different cross mebbe. Here is an Urbino hilted Edward blade that folk are probably sick of my showing off by now. Also one Russ came up with that was never confirmed as A&A (IIRC).

Cheers

GC

Yep, I really should have taken the time to send it to Craig and Chris for confirmation or something but it was really in such bad shape that it did not seem worth the effort. I will say that I think it highly likely that it was an early Arms and Armor piece, both the grip and hilt furniture showed signs of being much like Arms and Armor's later efforts, just not as refined perhaps. I eventually sold it to someone or other, one of the two Arms and Armor (or potential Arms and Armor) pieces that I've ever let go. I'm always on the lookout for Arms and Armors one offs though, or items that are no longer in their catalog or whatever. I managed to pick up a Lord of Milan last year after discovering that they had dropped it from their catalogue. This one even had a maker's mark... Christopher... call me.. Wink

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Morning fellow travelers through time         Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Yes it is a one of. The parts are as described above for the pommel and guard. Though the guard was modified to fit a sharp. This was one of a pair of swords I did as a bit of an experiment generated out of some of the German Longsword training I have been doing. Working with the piece as I manipulated the different aspects of the dynamics and most importantly the way it worked in the hand. Not worrying about physical measurements or weight , instead concentrating on feel and response to combat actions and interactions with another blade.

Basically a gedanken experiment taken into the physical. The sword handles very nicely and cuts like a dream but more important to my goal was it really feels like I have an advantage in the interaction between two swords. It is a function of how a sword works in a fight rather than cutting, or dimensions. This also illustrated to me very clearly the subjective nature of what a person with knowledge of how the period systems work, likes their personal sword to feel in the hand.

As I make more and more swords for those who are using them on a regular basis and striving to fulfill the vision left us by the treatises of the period it becomes apparent there is no perfect sword. It really illustrates that each person will look for the attributes and styles that appeal or inject a dimension to their use that they feel is important.

Also it really shows that for combat the mind and hand of the user is the most important element in the fight. What I like to call the GGI, Ground Grip Interface Happy Happy

Have a good friday my friends.

Best
Craig

PS Bob the blade is larger than a Dürer by a little bit in both profile and thickness.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its probably poor form to do this, but it always seems like Russ beat me to anything A&A that comes up for sale unexpectedly. Except this time, so...

Hey Russ!!!

I bought this one before you could!!!Razz

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd say you got a heck of a nice sword there Joe, although I was never in competition for it for two reasons, I did not know of it's existence LOL and I had to get that Bec De Corbin which prohibited any swords at that time. Laughing Out Loud
Although I would have gone for the 12 Century sword.

Bob

With a slightly larger blade than the Durer, indeed that would be a "Sword of War!"
Randy W

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Cheers

GC

I'm not sick of it ... it's beautiful, keep showing it off! Exclamation

Randy Westgate
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I'd say you got a heck of a nice sword there Joe, although I was never in competition for it for two reasons, I did not know of it's existence LOL and I had to get that Bec De Corbin which prohibited any swords at that time. Laughing Out Loud
Although I would have gone for the 12 Century sword.

Bob

With a slightly larger blade than the Durer, indeed that would be a "Sword of War!"

I thought you were on a pause. Cool

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is true, 2007 I was indeeed on a pause from high end swords and I did stick to it, which was tough but responsible. It was the summer of 2 high end polearms. LOL.
2007 saw no purchasing of swords from either Albion or Arms & Armor. Sad

Bob

Gayle's customized (highly detailed hilt) German Rapier is all paid for including shipping, I am just waiting for the rapier now to present it to her, she already has the matching dagger.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Its probably poor form to do this, but it always seems like Russ beat me to anything A&A that comes up for sale unexpectedly. Except this time, so...

Hey Russ!!!

I bought this one before you could!!!Razz

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

LOL! I'll get you next time... and your little dog too! Big Grin

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Joe's sword         Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the sword. It is the one on the right.

Craig

Attachment: 105.54 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A&A Mystery sword!!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic