Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > British Rifle Regiment Officer's Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice, David. I am especially fond of the 1796 style light infantry/rifle officer's swords. One of these days I'll need to have one of my own!

In the meantime, here is my Pattern 1803:

D Critchley

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the guard variation on your's Jonathan, the cypher is quite thick and robust. Many of the fretted cyphers are quite fragile affairs. The lion head is similar to my flat bladed one, a much rounder head than the others.

David

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: British Rifle Regiment Officer's Sword         Reply with quote

Here is another British P1827 Rifle Regiment Officer's Levee Sword from me. It has a bright plated blade while the etching is very faint. The owner’s initials “R.S.” is clearly engraved in fancy script on the right side of the blade and the wire-bound fishskin grip is quite good.

Attachment: 7.65 KB
British P1827 Rifle Regiment Officer's Levee Sword.jpg

Attachment: 14.19 KB
British P1827 Rifle Regiment Officer's Levee Sword (2).jpg

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Wed 06 Feb, 2008 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shahril,
Your images are not visible--you may want to double check your links.

Jonathan
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: British Rifle Regiment Officer's Sword         Reply with quote

Jonathan, what do you mean my images are not visible?
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe it is my computer, but no image is visible in your posts.

Jonathan
Peter G.

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@David and Jonathan

Thank you very much for showing your wunderful sabers.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: British Rifle Regiment Officer's Sword         Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Jonathan. Those images of a human figure with a question mark are irremovable.
Ted Parolari

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the pictures and information on these wonderful swords. I've become very interested in this time period due to the Sharpe books myself. I've been looking for a period to start collecting and this may be it! Baskethilts have been an interest of mine for several years and now the British Sabers have also become another interest as well. I'm in the process of looking for a nice saber or baskethilt to purchase now.

Besides the Sharpe novels, I've read other of Bernard Cornwell's books as well. I find them fascinating historical reads! I especially enjoyed the King Alfred books with their emphasis on the main charactor's seax and the Grail series with it's emphasis on the English long bow.

Again thank you for all the interesting posts! This is a wonderful site!

Ted Parolari Cool
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that I have one, I thought I'd add it to this thread...

At some point in the summer of this year I came across a sword I had to have. I sold a number of swords and bayonets to raise funds to make the purchase. Along the way I was presented with the opportunity to buy a fantastic Pattern 1897 Infantry Officer's Sword with Patent Hilt by Wilkinson. Soon thereafter, two swords that looked to be bargains found their way into my collection. Suddenly, my fund was depleted and I had not bought the sword I set out to buy.

After a few months later I decided to sell my “bargain” swords in order to acquire the sword I originally wanted. Now that all the logistics of selling, receiving payment shipping, waiting for approval, and placing my order, the sword is finally mine!

The sword is a British Pattern 1827 Rifle Officer's Sword by Wilkinson. The rifle volunteer movement was huge between 1860 and the end of the 19th century. Consequently, many rifle pattern swords were produced, and a very high percentage of those swords on the market today belonged to volunteer officers, and a relatively small proportion of these swords actually belonged to officers who saw active service in a regular army rifle regiment (e.g. the 60th [King's Royal Rifle Corps] or the Rifle Brigade [Prince Consort's Own]). My sword is one of the latter. Happy

The sword is of standard form for a P1827. It has a steel "Gothic" hilt
with strung bugle badge, fish skin grip with silver wire, a steel scabbard, and standard
~32" blade, and what I believe to be the original sword knot.

The blade is in immaculate condition, and is simple in its decoration; Wilkinson label etched on ricasso with HW circular proof slug on the opposite side of the ricasso, scrolling foliage and VR cypher and a strung bugle. The spine of the blade is marked with the serial number and is etched with the center of percussion marking, and the blade was sharpened for active service.

This Pattern 1827 was sold by Wilkinson on 10 July1866 to H.S. Marsham, Esq.. Henry Savill Marsham, born 19 January 1847, was the eldest son of Reverend Henry P. Marsham and Caroline Savill Onley of Rippon Hall, Hevingham, Norfolk. Marsham was educated at Eton, and on December 2nd, 1865, was commissioned by purchase as an ensign in the 60th. Marsham was promoted to lieutenant on 17 February1869, and in that same year became adjutant of the 1st Battalion.

While stationed with his battalion in Canada, the 60th was sent as part of Wolseley's expedition to confront Louis Riel and the Métis in 1870, during the Red River Rebellion, at the Red River Settlement in what is now the Canadian province of Manitoba. Marsham is one of a handful of officer to have earned the Canada General Service Medal with clasp for Red River.

On 2 March 1878 Marsham was promoted to captain, and a few short months later in October of the same year, he was off to Afghanistan with the 2/60th. Marsham remained in Afghanistan through November of 1880, where he took part in the advance on and occupation Kandahar and Khelat-i-Ghilzie, and was present in the engagements at Ahmed Khel and Urzu near Ghuznee; and accompanied Roberts in the march to Kandahar and was present at the battle of Kandahar. In October of 1880, Marsham served in the Marri expedition under Brigadier General MacGregor. His services in Afghanistan earned him a mention in dispatches, the Afghan War Medal with two clasps and the Kabul-Kandahar Bronze Star.

In January of 1881, shortly after completing his service in Afghanistan, Marsham embarked with his battalion for Natal, South Africa to serve against the Boers in the Transvaal.

Marsham was promoted to major on 20 December 1882, married Caroline Blake Humfrey in 1883, and retired from the army in 1888.

Marsham had an active post-Army career, and served as a Deputy-Lieutenant for the County of Norfolk, Lord of the Manor of Cats-cum-Cricketots, and patron of the livings of Stratton Strawless, Brampton, and Wramplingham. Marsham was a trustee of the Norwich & Norfolk Hospital, and was for forty years a magistrate, occupying for many years the chairmanship of the Aylsham Bench. He also continued his family legacy of observing Indications of Spring He died, shortly after his 90th birthday, in April 1937.

References

Hart's Annual Army List (Various) --Lt.-Gen. H.G. Hart
A Regimental Chronicle and List of Officers of the 60th, Or the King's Royal Rifle Corps--Nesbit Willoughby Wallace
The Norfolk & Norwich Hospital, 1770 to 1900--Peter Eade
http://www.robertmarsham.co.uk
http://www.ancestry.co.uk
http://www.artfact.com
http://www.armsresearch.co.uk
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 27 Mar, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to some help from Robert Wilkinson-Latham, who liaised with the Royal Green Jackets Museum on my behalf, I now have a photo of Major Marsham. Here he is in all his Victorian splendor with the sword that is now in my collection!

The dealer from whom I purchased the sword had forgotten that he also had the original black leather slings as well. An email to him containing Major Marsham's photo reminded him of these old bits of leather and he sent them to me at no charge.

I am not sure if the slings are the same as those in Marsham's photo, but they are similar. When the slings arrived they were quite dry and brittle. I have softened them somewhat with Pecard Antique Leather Dressing. The straps are still quite fragile, but the leather pieces attached to the buckles are more sound. The buckles and buttons are silver and are hallmarked, apparently for the year 1871 (according to the dealer). I have yet to research the hallmarks, so if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it! Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > British Rifle Regiment Officer's Sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: