Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My First Blade: Knight or Sempach?! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Daniel Hofmarcher

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: My First Blade: Knight or Sempach?!         Reply with quote

I’ve been reading articles on this splendid website for one or two years and am already considering myself a novice-scholar of medieval swordsmanship'Cool'
Till now it has all been theory, but owning a real sword has been a childhood dream and after years of waging and fighting with my self, I think I’m ready to spend such a huge amount of money for a, in day to day life, rather useless, but nonetheless desired object.

I have quite little idea of armed combat, though I did some Iaido for a year or so, but I missed the spirit.
I got more passionate training in Wing Chun, which I think, gives you some basic idea how fighting works, with or without weapons, but nothing more.

What do I want to do with a sword?!
Well, first I just like the idea of owning one, a real one, historical and functional.
I planning on studying medieval swordsmanship, but I’m not quite sure what style exactly yet.
For a beginning I got “Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the Longsword”
Ahh, and the knight is 100€ less….

I would be very pleased if you could give me some first hand advice, which blade I should get.
Albions Knight, or the Sempach (I´m from Austria 'Big Grin').
Obviously they are two very different styles of swords, which makes the decision a fundamental one and even harder.
I don’t like the idea of fighting with a buckler, so beside the I:33 manual is there a different style featuring the use of a single handed sword like the knight?
On the other hand, I’m not exactly a grizzly; 173 cm tall and quite slim, so I don’t know if a large blade like the Sempach would suit my size.
Is it possible to fight in the style of Liechteneauer with the single handed knight?

For now I started to make myself wooden wasters short and long-sword to get used to the handling.

Well I would be greatfull for any suggestions.

Daniel
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own both the Knight and the Sempach, and they're both really nice swords. With the Knight, unless you're planning to practice with sword and shield, sword and buckler is really your only other choice. There are techniques for using a single handed sword alone- see Fiore, for instance- but you're at a big disadvantage compared with someone who as a long sword. The other thing to consider is that it is more difficult to begin fencing with sword and buckler or sword and shield, because you're trying to learn how to coordinate two weapons at once, along with the other basics like cutting and footwork. Therefore, it's easier to start with the long sword.

The Sempach actually has a relatively slim blade. At its base where it meets the guard it's about 4.5 cm wide, versus the Knight which is closer to 5.5 cm. As should be apparent from the myArmoury and Albion photos, the blade tapers and narrows very quickly. I doubt you would have much problem wielding it, and since fitness is important for martial arts anyways, I'm certain you'd have no trouble if you are in shape or make efforts to get into shape.

I'd go with the Sempach if I were you. It sounds like you're leaning more towards it at this point anyways, and the fact that it's based upon an Austrian sword gives it a special connection to you. Another thing that I love about the Sempach is that it's a type of sword that's roughly contemporary with Liechtenauer, which makes it especially cool in my opinion.

Keep in mind that while the Knight and the Sempach are good for practicing solo drills and test cutting, they're not particularly useful for much else. If you want a sword you can spar with, you should look into getting a pair of Albion Liechtenauers or Meyers.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
There are techniques for using a single handed sword alone- see Fiore, for instance- but you're at a big disadvantage compared with someone who as a long sword.

Well, unless he's planning to go out and pick fights with longsword wielders, I don't see why this "disadvantage" would matter in more then a theoretical sense. Razz

I'm actually planning on getting my first sword soon as well. It's looking to be a single-hander, and I doubt I will invest in a shield or a buckler, so I'm naturally rather interested in learning how to use the sword without them. Happy

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

Well, the "Knight" Is in Stock at Kult of Athena, and I was there on Wednesday, it's been in stock a couple of weeks and it's in pristine condition of course, hanging on the wall waiting for a home!

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~ANS4...+Sword.htm <~~~Direct Link To The Knight

The Albion Knight that is in stock has a "Light Brown grip".

I hope this helps!

Bob

Description of the Albion Next Generation "Knight"

A sword of type XII, according to Oakeshott´s typology, is defined by having a broad and evenly tapering blade. It should have a good point and a fuller that is 2/3 to 3/4 of the blade length. This is perhaps the most classic of all blade styles. So much so that it is close to being the very archetype of the European knightly sword. The heft of this sword is managed by an effective use of nonlinear distal taper and a deep and well defined fuller. This results in a lively and responsive feel that invites you to strike with the sword. The pommel of this sword is of type J: a deep wheel pommel with concave bevels. It is crowned by a high rivet block. The cross is a version of style 2: a straight type of octagonal section that swell at the ends and in the middle. The outer third of the blade towards the point curves gradually to a sharp point. This gives a visual balance to the broad base of the blade and also helps in establishing sweet handling characteristics.
The Albion Knight Sword features a sharpened 1075 carbon steel blade heat-treated to a fine temper in the Albion Forge Shop. The grip is of stabilized birch, wrapped with cord and covered with the highest grade vegetable-tanned calfskin. The guard and pommel are solid steel.
Overall Length:38 1/8'' Blade:31 1/2''
Weight: 2 lb 10.4 oz

Last edited by Bob Burns on Sat 09 Feb, 2008 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob, thanks for trying to help, but I wasn't actually asking for advice on where to buy my sword. I have that part mostly covered already.

For that matter, the Knight is a bit out of my desired price range. Not to mention, I don't really like the look of it anyway.

-Homer Simpson.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Anders, that was My Goof Up, I meant to write Daniel and somehow wrote your name instead, I was addressing Daniel of course in trying to help him.
So I apologize as my post did not apply to you at all, I've since corrected the post.
Oh yeah, and I was also just trying to be of help in case Daniel did not want to have to wait for the sword to be produced.
I live 25 minutes from Kult of Athena and I have several times posted that I'd be glad to check this or that out for the members of this website as a courtesy and to be of service to help others! Also, KoA has the best prices around and the store (yes it is a formal store with a 1,200 or more square foot showroom) that is very organized and well stocked!
So, once again, sorry I just totally goofed up! LOL

A Big Oops! Confused

Bob
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Hi Anders, that was My Goof Up, I meant to write Daniel and somehow wrote your name instead, I was addressing Daniel of course in trying to help him.
So I apologize as my post did not apply to you at all, I've since corrected the post.

Ah, well that makes far more sense, then.

Think nothing of it, it happens to the best of us. Happy

-Homer Simpson.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Anders, yeah sorry about that and it does make a lot more sense now Laughing Out Loud The actual purpose for this post is I want to explain something. I am not, do not try to tell people where to shop, nor do I have any vested interest in
Kult of Athena. However, I have never been treated better and consistantly so by anyone. I've been treated as good, but never better and the prices are low, if there is a problem with merchandise, Ryan will take the return no problem whatsoever and given the fact that I live so close I can check things out for people.
I've been shopping there in person of course for over two years now and the service, friendliness has never been anything but Outstanding! Everyone in myArmoury and including you of course Anders are my fellow colleagues of this hobby and many of you have helped me enormously and I want to return the kindnesses back.
Since I did goof that post up, I wanted to explain myself and the kind of person that I am, in that, "All Intentions Are Always and Consistantly toward a good and amiable means"!
I am so grateful and thankful to live so close to such a Class Act Store, that I did not even know existed until I learned so from this website.
Having such convenient access gives me the opportunity to be a fellow colleague of others in trying to help all of you in return.

Thanks for your kind reply to my post Anders, I really appreciated it a lot! Happy

Bob
Daniel Hofmarcher

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions so far!

As I´m living in Europe, i´ll have to order it from Albion-Europe anyway.

I think I will go for a Sempach though i like size and historical context of the knight. I find myself more comfortable with a second hand on the blade anyway.

Today I finished a pretty nice wooden longsword waster, i even got the Point of Balance quite close to where it should be. So I can make myself familiar with the handling now, though the wheight is only half of the real one.

yeah, hope I dont loose my courage and own a Sempach soon.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Hofmarcher wrote:

yeah, hope I dont loose my courage and own a Sempach soon.

Be bold and battle grim! Take the chance and regret only what you never dared to do! Laughing Out Loud

-Homer Simpson.
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: have you read Oakeshott?         Reply with quote

Because the 2 swords you are interested in are so very different in design and function, and as it seems the purchase of the sword is rather a large decision for you, and your english seems perfect, I was wondering if you had read "The Sword in the Age of Chivalry" by Ewart Oakeshott. If not I would suggest reading it before your purchase. Its cheap, packed full of great info and may really help you in your decision.

For Liechtenauer of your two choices, as Craig stated , clearly the Sempach is the sword. However, there are other two handers in the Albion line that might work for you as well. I have not handled the Sempach but have handled the Landgraf and Iliked it much. Personally I prefer the Regent but I am a founding member of Type XVIII hollowground anonymous. Good luck! tr
Mats S

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think longswords are better for learning how to move with a sword and its more fun in my opinion.

It dosent matter if your wooden waster is lighter than a real sword. My Liechtenauer (1,5kg) actually handels better than all wasters (ca:0,7kg) i have tried. Wasters tend to be a little clumsy even if they are to light.

If you are going to learn more advansed longsword technics you should get a sparring swords. You can learn the different cutts/thrusts with a sharp sword but its can be dangerous if your get to entusiastic. When i started longsword fencing i sometimes hit my head doing left zwerchhauw and sometimes my foot doing underhauw. Blush .

If you really want to learn longsword play i would recomend that you start out with a good sparring sword like albions The Liechtenauer. You can always buy a sharp one later.

My opinon about singel handed fensing is that a buckler makes it much more fun. its harder to defend with a singel handed sword so the addition of a buckler makes the fight more interesting.
Daniel Hofmarcher

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A blunt sword is not an option for me. I´m running on quite tight budget, so either a real sword or non at all.
I wont use the sharp blade for any dangerous training, as i do not like getting hurt
Razz wooden wasters should do for the beginning.
Basically its not (only) a question of martial arts to me, the period and swords in general have a certain fascination to me, so mainly its about having a real sword i can look at happily....
I just feel forced to practice swordmanship as soon as I own a blade.

thanks for your compliment Thom R.
I´m doing just fine with english literature though i think I´m far from beeing perfect. (You´ve never heard my accent, I´m Austrian, like ?! Schwarzeneger?!)
I just got a a book form Oakeshott (A Knight And His Weapons) I believe its not as secific but its 1/3 of the price of "The Sword in the Age of Chivalry". But thanks anyway, i consider geting it aswell.
I do very much like the simplicity and plaine look of the Sempach and the knight, so i´m settled on what i want.
Out of some weired feeling i prefer the early and high middle ages to the late middle ages, so the dating of the Sempach style is above the the edge but still far anough from the renaissance for my taste.

I´ll just try to fight grimmly and keep up the spirit for some more day´s, place my order on a Sempach and start planning on making a nice scabbard. I´m very fortunate for that part as i have free acces to a fully equipet workshop for wood and metal work.

best wishes to you all

i´m still amazed how rapid i got my reply and how frequented this site is

D.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My First Blade: Knight or Sempach?!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic