Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Socketed lance heads from Native Way Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Augh, don't get me started on hafts, it's an entire issue unto itself.

Arms and Armor offers ash poles, but the shipping is painful. Cold Steel used to offer 7 foot waxwood staffs, but I don't know if they still do.

Alternately you can make your own. For my danish axe I'm buying oak railing and then shaving it down to size; this is the cheapest way I know of to get oak long stock. Hardware stores might sell oak dowells, but invariably they are no more than about three feet long. I tried googling oak closet rods, and hardwood closet rods, but to no avail.

Gavin,

I found some birch curtain rods 10' x 1 3/8" at Woodcrafters here in PDX. I can't find anybody who carries 1 1/2" hardwood rods. If you find something that will work, I'll get a couple with you and maybe we can have them drop shipped to hjelp reduce shipping costs. If I stumble across something else I'll let you know.

Ron
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check above, R D Moore.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity; did anyone else end up buying one of these lances?
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will be, actually, as well as one of the 23USD ash poles; I think I'm going to make myself finish my bronze sword project first, though.

Got any pictures of the ones you made?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean & Jerry,

Jerry said, "Given the relatively low ultimate strain of wood, this can drastically increase the chance of snapping the shaft. ...unless you actually cut into the shaft deeper than 1/8", it will still be proportionally as strong as a 1" shaft, you'll just be certain to know where the break will be when it happens :-)"

Sean said, "...Decreasing the diameter of the haft increases the likelihood of damage. No surprise there. An oak 4x4 would make a much stronger shovel handle than a length of 1" diameter ash. It also would be ridiculously impractical and, in ordinary use, pointless. Ditto for polearms. It's undeniably true that a 1.25" diameter haft is stronger than a 1" haft, but the real questions are whether or not a 1" diameter haft is historically valid and, if so, is it compromised by a step.

If I understand the point made above, a haft stepped down to 1" diameter is not weaker than a simply-tapered 1" diameter haft. It just has a more predictable break point."

Respectfully, I think you're both missing the point (no pun intended). I" diameter ash is definitely more than strong enough for a spear shaft. It would probably be almost strong enough for a pitch fork. I do believe that cutting a shoulder on the shaft weakens it because you are cutting across the grain of the wood. I think a gradual taper would result in a stronger shaft; what you are doing is sacrificing some strength for aesthetics. The question is how great is the sacrifice and does it make the spear dangerously weak and I think the answer to that is, "No". Going back to the pitch fork analogy it would seem to me that you would have to be using the spear like a pitch fork (lifting something extremely heavy with the point) for the shoulder to present a problem. So unless someone is planning to spear something that weighs about 150 pounds and then lift that thing up in the air on the end of the spear and then throw it over their head the shoulder should be fine.

Best regards,

Ken Speed

I think this is the heart of the concern, and the lesson may be that we're thinking about this in the reverse order of our medieval friends. They may have determined the optimal diameter for a spear shaft and then stepped up, overbuilding slightly and creating a flush surface between socket and haft (for reasons unknown). For our modern purposes, this would mean that a 1 1/8 haft is plenty strong for a spear, and we're not compromising that strength by "adding" 1/8 to create the flush surface. Does that make sense, or am I trying too hard to match the physics to the historical practice?[/quote]
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps it would help if we had a consistent expectation of the expected strain and natural lifespan of a spear haft.

You are correct about viewing this in reverse, Ken. We look at extant examples and try to extrapolate the workload expectations; they looked at the workload and build accordingly. The modern tendency seems to be overestimating the need and then grossly overbuilding to the detriment of performance.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Perhaps it would help if we had a consistent expectation of the expected strain and natural lifespan of a spear haft.

You are correct about viewing this in reverse, Ken. We look at extant examples and try to extrapolate the workload expectations; they looked at the workload and build accordingly. The modern tendency seems to be overestimating the need and then grossly overbuilding to the detriment of performance.

I wonder how much more, a halberd or any other polearms that involves heavy chopping and not only thrusting, would need to be " overbuilt " compared to a plain spear ?

But I agree that first choosing the optimum diameter of shaft and then adding a very small step up makes more sense than stepping down from the optimum diameter. ( Taking in all the previously written suggestions about tapering the shafts and/or bevelling the inside rim of the socket into consideration ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Generally speaking, halberd/polearms hafts were very closely fitting the head (I'm not speaking for older, "Sempach" type halberds). The octagonal hafts are about 3,5 cm in thickness.Reinforcing comes from the lateral bands nailed down the sides of the shaft, which help transfering the returned energy of each strike to the wood ; as they are set in recesses, this can help even more.

Aesthetics in various periods suggest indeed that the haft surface was flush with the spear socket. Though excepions exist.

Making shafts for polearms was a profession on its own BTW, and it makes sense thinking of the work needed to perfectly adapt each individual haft to each individual socket.

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Socketed lance heads from Native Way
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: