Id on this dagger/short sword please guys
Hi i was given the link to your forums to get an id on this

Looks like a dagger/short sword its 17 inches long but only been sharpened on 1 edge

the handle part is 4 1/2 inches long

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Do you have any information as to its provenance? As it appears excavated, any idea where it was found?

My gut reaction tells me this is likely some home or theatre-built prop, perhaps late 19th, early 20th C.? The "pommel" looks to me like a lamp finial or similar. Potentially, it could be some sort of tool, or a modified form of one, but it is unlike any historical sword with which I am familiar. Hopefully some others may provide their insight.
Its a metal detecting find m8 :cool:
Rhys C wrote:

As a detectorist myself, I understand this. I wasn't asking whose backyard it came out of, but the country of origin might be nice. Perhaps even something so specific as province, county, etc...? Do you even have this information? Help us to help you.
Eric Meulemans wrote:
Rhys C wrote:

As a detectorist myself, I understand this. I wasn't asking whose backyard it came out of, but the country of origin might be nice. Perhaps even something so specific as province, county, etc...? Do you even have this information? Help us to help you.

Sorry yes i have all the info as i found it

country = uk
county = tyne and wear
it came from a site that has had 98 coins out in 2 days mostly old viccy half pennys and pennys but 5 silver sixpences,2 belguim francs,a sword badge a royal fusilears badge(sp) and an old brooch,i it was told a victorian dump but its woodland and low down the rest of the wood is high all uphill

any more info you need just ask im only new to detecting 3 months
That's a hell of a find for only 3 months in. However, it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before.

M.
... some sort of band sword maybe?
It could be a Victorian reproduction sword. During the Victorian period, the Middle Ages were viewed in a highly romantic light. It was sometimes fashionable to have a suit of armour or a sword in your possession. As a result, many reproductions of swords from the middle ages were made to suit the collector's fancies. Some were very good, but many were little more then the 19th century equivalent of today's wall-hangers.

This could be one of those.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: