Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Udate Re "Sale Swords" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Neil Gagel

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I e-mailed Tinker a question I had about my Tinker-Hanwei Longsword and I got a response the very next day, and it was very helpful. So yeah, my experiences mirror Jean's.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a friend that has been waiting two years on a sword with no updates, so I will pass this along. Thanks for posting the info.
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I have a friend that has been waiting two years on a sword with no updates, so I will pass this along. Thanks for posting the info.

Yes I know the frustration first hand about this situation and I certainly wanted to give a useful hint about one possible way to get one's sword or at least some information about it's status.

I might have gotten my sword months before if I had contacted Tinker earlier but I felt uncomfortable bugging him about something that was none of his business ...... literally not his business. Wink

I did tell him up front that I was asking for a favour and let him know that he had no obligation to get involved but luckily he decide to give Gus a call and found out how little work was needed to finish my project sword.

In a case of a sword not even started or very far from finished the results might have been only getting an accurate SITREP about where the project was at.

My thanks again for Tinker finishing the work and making the extra pommel: I guess I have a TRIM/TINKER collaboration sword. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just bumping this one up for people concerned who may have missed the post about finally getting my sword and my advice about one way to get information about their " sales " sword. ( How I got mine a few posts above this one ).

Oh, since I'm not registered as a member on SFI I would ask a member here that is also a member of the SFI Forums to post a link to this thread on the Topic on SFI dealing with this issue.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;page=11

Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I posted this on SFI for you.
School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Every time I have contacted Tinker about something... he has responded quickly and with great customer service. He has even offered to take care of an issue one one of his swords I bought second hand... the man stands behind his work and is a first class guy.

I worry a bit about him getting bogged down with peoples questions regarding Gus's work... I hope that dosn't happen, I don't know how many 'pay off the machine sale' guys there are out there still waiting for their swords... Worried
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Just bumping this one up for people concerned who may have missed the post about finally getting my sword and my advice about one way to get information about their " sales " sword. ( How I got mine a few posts above this one ).

Oh, since I'm not registered as a member on SFI I would ask a member here that is also a member of the SFI Forums to post a link to this thread on the Topic on SFI dealing with this issue.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;page=11

Hi Jean,

It is always great to read of another delivery from the past projects. Keep in mind though that the thread at SFI has contained the same tips and avenues any might avail themselves of and that Tinker had long ago made it clear on SFI. In fact, his acceptance regarding contact re Gus was linked in the thread at SFI now reaching over 250 posts. One may also note that this thread at myArmoury was mentioned by Gus himself earlier in the dialouges. There has either been a lot of denial or others simply ignoring such possibilities for more than a year now. I guess if anything begins and ends well, a lot of stuff in the middle won't make a bit of difference or make any of that bulk worth reading.

Cheers

GC
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

It is always great to read of another delivery from the past projects. Keep in mind though that the thread at SFI has contained the same tips and avenues any might avail themselves of and that Tinker had long ago made it clear on SFI. In fact, his acceptance regarding contact re Gus was linked in the thread at SFI now reaching over 250 posts. One may also note that this thread at myArmoury was mentioned by Gus himself earlier in the dialogues. There has either been a lot of denial or others simply ignoring such possibilities for more than a year now. I guess if anything begins and ends well, a lot of stuff in the middle won't make a bit of difference or make any of that bulk worth reading.

Cheers

GC

Actual I suspect I could have had my sword 6 months or even a year earlier if I had decided to try having Tinker at least find out about the status of my sword.

Yes, Tinker did mention before that it was O.K. to bug him but I was very reluctant to bother him as it really isn't his responsibly.

No guaranty that others would be as lucky as to have their sword almost finished and sort of forgotten about in a dark corner of Gus's shop. WTF?!

Other solutions where proposed like Christian Fletcher offering an alternate sword using the payment on the outstanding sword as payment ( Well I guess a more expensive sword might mean making up the difference and probably wanting to order a scabbard from Christian while one was already in contact with him. Wink ).

Anyway, even if a lot of this information is there if one wants to read the 250 and up posts on SFI the key information about Tinker being a possible " fixer " of the problem is sort of buried or lost on whatever post page !

Also, a successful taking up on the offer to act as an intermediary is something useful to know.

That this sales fiasco hasn't brought out very much anger I think is that there is still a great deal of respect for Gus's sword making in the past and that even with a lot of reasons to be mad people have remained call and civil about it ..... but certainly some may feel awfully depressed or have given up ! Until I gave it one last try contacting Tinker I was just going to right it off and not stress out about it. ( But that's just me. Wink )

Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good to hear you've finally gotten your sword, Jean.

I still have an 2104 on order from the machine sale. I'll be contacting Tinker when I get a bit of free time... Hopefully, I'll also get my sword at some point... Worried

I'm also wondering how Gus is doing as a person btw...
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whats a 2104? That one does not ring a bell... Question
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean O Stevens wrote:
Whats a 2104? That one does not ring a bell... Question

MS2104, AT2104 - a medieval fantasy gladius hispaniensis. I"ve got one. It's a great little sword.

Attachment: 88.15 KB
MS2104s.jpg
MS2104 - Shortie Leaf
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, the 2104 was one of Gus' very old patterns and the blade form shown here with a gladius hilt that would date back to the Albion line. A Ken Jay photo from his library of Gus.

Cheers
George K. Abraham

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Other solutions where proposed like Christian Fletcher offering an alternate sword using the payment on the outstanding sword as payment ( Well I guess a more expensive sword might mean making up the difference and probably wanting to order a scabbard from Christian while one was already in contact with him. Wink ).

I found working with Christian to be my best line of communication back to Gus. Christian offered me the same alternate sword deal that Jean mentioned above, though he said he'd check with Gus on my original order one last time. Happily, my original order was complete, and Gus had shipped it to Christian for finishing! It took almost two and a half years in the making, but my wife and I were both thoroughly pleased with the finished piece.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
That this sales fiasco hasn't brought out very much anger I think is that there is still a great deal of respect for Gus's sword making in the past and that even with a lot of reasons to be mad people have remained call and civil about it ..... but certainly some may feel awfully depressed or have given up ! Until I gave it one last try contacting Tinker I was just going to right it off and not stress out about it. ( But that's just me. Wink )

Indeed, I cannot say enough about my respect for Gus...he is truly a wonder and a pleasure to converse with. Gus actually contacted me directly about my order in early 2009 saying that the sword itself was mostly finished. Prior to that we've had a few other lengthy email conversations regarding sword making in general. I hope to one day be able to chat with him face to face since we live only a couple of hours away from one another.

Undoubtedly his health was probably the reason things were taking so long, but in the end he was true to his word and I cannot thank him enough. From day one I told him to "take as much time as you need". Good things do indeed come to those who wait. Happy

George K. Abraham
Everett, Washington
Brian D. A.

PostPosted: Sat 22 May, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Received my 2104 (from the sword sale back in 2007) from Christian Fletcher this morning. Happy
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 22 May, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian D. A. wrote:
Received my 2104 (from the sword sale back in 2007) from Christian Fletcher this morning. Happy

Nice to hear that these left over sales swords are getting done and I hope that there are not too many people still waiting for them or other swords not part of the sale but also left overs from long ago purchases.

David Martin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one waiting for a Gus Trim sale sword purchased in late 2007. I don't mind the wait as much as the lack of updates.
"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David... it looks like if you want info you have to get pretty proactive about it. I think most of the people who have gotten their swords of late have been people who started asking questions, even speaking to Tinker and CF about it.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Who knew waiting for an atrim would be like waiting for a Barta!

But seriously, I feel bad for you guys. . .
David Martin

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean O Stevens wrote:
David... it looks like if you want info you have to get pretty proactive about it. I think most of the people who have gotten their swords of late have been people who started asking questions, even speaking to Tinker and CF about it.

Hi Sean,

That is good advice. Christian advised me on 12/19/09 that Gus has my sword finished in his shop. I haven't heard a word since then, despite attempts on my part. I have nothing but admiration for Gus, so I'm hoping that nothing ill has befallen him.

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm happy to say that today, I finally received my MS2104, with the help of the guys at Tried and True Armory. Big Grin

I have to say, it is a great sword. Feels a lot bigger in real life than what you expect from the stats. Should be a great cutter as well... Cool

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Udate Re "Sale Swords"
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: