Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Buying Swords around San Francisco, CA Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Törlind

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Buying Swords around San Francisco, CA         Reply with quote

Hi I will visit CA for some work a couple of times this spring and I was thinking of using the nice exchange rates to my favours this time (now 1 US$ = 6,5 SEK, a bit better than when it was 10 SEK).

So is there any good retailers or sword makers available in Silicon Valley/SanFransisco?

Regards Peter from Sweden
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Buying Swords around San Francisco, CA         Reply with quote

Peter Törlind wrote:
Hi I will visit CA for some work a couple of times this spring and I was thinking of using the nice exchange rates to my favours this time (now 1 US$ = 6,5 SEK, a bit better than when it was 10 SEK).

So is there any good retailers or sword makers available in Silicon Valley/SanFransisco?

Regards Peter from Sweden

I don't know of any off hand. Truly, with the variety of poor quality swords available these days, you're probably better off just saving your money and ordering a sword from a reliable maker back home. While it can be tempting to buy swords on vacation, most of the time all you'll find is garbage.

I'm sure though that others with a different opinion will chime in... ;-)
Dan P

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm actually in San Francisco right now, on vacation. So far in the city I've seen two places selling swords. The first was a place on Pier 39 up on the north coast, which had lots of great knives but pretty much only stainless steel sword-like objects.

The other was more of a sword-oriented place at a mall at this place in the middle of the city called "Japantown". They had lots of stainless steel ninja and katana style SLO's, a bunch of stainless steel cutlasses and rapiers that looked like cheap knockoffs of Windlass stuff, and a bunch of chinese-made katanas probably on par with Hanwei practical stuff for quality. They had a few Hanwei things too. Everything was about twice as expensive as getting it online, so it was easy to resist buying anything.
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying Swords around San Francisco, CA         Reply with quote

just FYI, the next Bonhams antique arms and armor auction is april 21 2008 in san francisco. tr
James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Art, http://www.arts-swords.com/ , is in Sacramento, about 90-120 minutes east of S.F. He sells Del Tin, Lutel and whatever else he might have gotten lately. Thing is, I do not know if it'll be cheaper for you here since he imports everything from Europe. Give him a email and find out.

Cheers
Jim
P Ballou

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always enjoy stopping by American Fencers Supply Company in San Francisco whenever I have a chance. It is a little hole-in-the-wall place that doesn't seem like it should still be in business, but they are still hanging in there. They supply the sport fencers around the Bay Area, but also the theater and opera. You should be sure to take a look in the workshop in the back - it is classic! They have a rustic showroom upstairs with some remaining pieces by Kolombatovich, and quite a few bits of armour laying about. They will also assemble semi-custom swords to order. Prices are very reasonable, and the quality, well, quite functional. You can see more at their web site, http://www.amfence.com. Info about the swords is on their "Armoury" page.

Last edited by P Ballou on Wed 16 Jan, 2008 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your best bet might be to choose something from Albion, A&A or maybe even something from the Marketplace here before you arrive in the U.S. and have it shipped to your SF hotel. That gives you the whole nation to choose from and allows you to take full advantage of our pathetically weak currency. Laughing Out Loud The advantage of buying from the Marketplace is that there won't be any production delay. But if you were to order a new piece now, especially from A&A, and tell them your time limitations, they'd probably be able to hit your target dates.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Buying Swords around San Francisco, CA
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic