Go to page 1, 2  Next

Looking for a copy of De Norske Vikingsverd
I can't find a copy of Jan Petersen's De Norske Vikingsverd anywhere. This seems to be one of the cornerstones of the study of scandanavian weapons during the viking era, and it seems that everyone quotes it. How can it be that it is unavailable? Granted, it's a niche book that was published in 1919, but apparently someone named Kristen Noer translated it in 1998.

Anyhow I'd love to find a copy, translated or not. Petersen also developed an axe typology, but I don;'t know if this was included in De Norske Vikingsverd, or in some other book. How do you find obscure books like this if you are outside of the world of academia?
Gavin-

Check this topic:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=20

Towards the bottom there is a link to a PDF version of the book. You can download it!

-Tim
Thanks Tim, but this is a dead link.
Hmmm. I just used it not too long ago. PM me I can email it to you.
A Reader's Copy of this title can be downloaded here:

De Norske Vikingesverd
Nathan to the rescue! Well played sir......
Awesome, awesome. It's the next best thing to having it in print. What a shame that this is unavailable in the flesh.
Hello!

If you follow this link:
http://stud.imma.dk/deltahak/nils.anderssen/norskesverd.htm

and right click on the following text:

De Norske Vikingesverd
- Jan Petersen 1919

and "Save as" it should work.

Its the original 120 mb version, so its quite large, but all the pictures is in high quallity and colloured.

Nice to see that people is interested in the book since it was a lot of work scanning it.

Nils
I'm resurrecting this thread because I am seeking De Norske Vikingsverd. The link Nathan provided is appreciated, but the content is so highly compressed that some of the words of interest are unreadable. The link to Nils Anderssen's site is long dead and searching for him/a cached/a new site of it hasn't panned out for me. There is a work-in-progress by someone making an HTML version in English. Unfortunately, it's not very complete yet and has nothing at all of the sections I'm most interested in (spears and axes).

From looking, I think what I'd most like is a copy of or link to the 120mb file Nils made. Does anyone know how I could accomplish that? Thanks,
-klr
I have it saved on my computer. If you can't find it elsewhere, contact me via PM with your Skype address. Because of the different time zones it might be difficult to be online at the same time though, so if someone from the US can help you, it might be easier.
i sent nils a message, maybe he can resurect the link or something, i'm not sure though
I may have a solution in the works. It would still be nice if Nils' file were generally available. Thanks for the replies.
-klr
I also have a copy of the good PDF but for some reason I can't upload it to the website of my medieval club. I'm going to check the settings again or ask for help about it. If it works I'll post the link here. It's a very good book and it's a shwm it's not more easily availabe.
The file was on my old schools server and it looks like they have deleted my account.

Ill try to get it on another server within a couple of days.

Nice to see that people like the book :)

N.
Finally got it up today! Get you copy of De Norske Vikingesverd by Jan Petersen NOW! Hope you enjoy it. Thanks to Nils for putting it up last time, that's where I got it.

Cheers!
Won't open for me. Gives a DNS lookup error.
Hmm.. That's odd. I can open it just fine. Any one else have the same problem?
Eric Hejdström wrote:
Finally got it up today! Get you copy of De Norske Vikingesverd by Jan Petersen NOW! Hope you enjoy it. Thanks to Nils for putting it up last time, that's where I got it.

Cheers!

Got, now enjoying. Link works for me. Many thanks!
It came up for me without problem. Thank you Eric for posting it. And thanks to Nils for posting it originally, and to Gavin for resurecting the issue. It's a great resource!
It still won't open for me. I don't get an error anymore, but the page just refuses to open. Very strange.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: