Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Passion of the Christ Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings Markus,

Since you ask and because I was not clear in my references, I will continue in the discussion. I did indeed go to external links originating from http://www.catholic.com, specifically to this page:
http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/search.asp

If you select Any Forum, Any Expert, Forever, and enter Mel Gibson for keywords, you will find three pages of Q&A. It was mainly from this that I formed the opinion that the question of Mel Gibson's "Catholicity" is not settled in the minds of Catholic apologists.

On Google, I believe I found the most results by entering <Mel Gibson Holy Family> There I found references to several secular treatments of the issue.

Regarding the rejection of belief in Transubstantiation in the Novus Ordo, you are correct in saying that goes to the heart of being Roman Catholic. If, as has been reported, Mel Gibson has stated his belief as such, my opinion would be that he has separated himself from the Church.

Jeremy is also correct that there are conditions under which one can separate himself from the Church by his actions and beliefs. Where we differ is in my opinion that one should not, indeed cannot, authoritatively discern another's relationship to the Church, even in the presence of what appears to be evidence of schism, apostasy, or heresy. I believe that matter to be between the individual and the hierarchy of the Church until such time as a competent ecclesiastic authority declares otherwise. And if for no other reason than courtesy, I would never declare a person schismatic or excommunicate in the absence of an authoritative pronouncement.

I hope this analogy will clarify my position: In the teaching of the Church, there is a clear definition of what constitutes mortal sin. The act [or omission] must be objectively and gravely immoral, the sinner must be aware of this, and he must act of his own free will. By these conditions I know when I have committed a mortal sin, but by the same conditions I can never know with certainty that someone else has committed a mortal sin. If I see Francis X. Pewfiller walk up to my mother and shoot her dead, I cannot, in spite of overwhelming evidence, declare with any authority that he has committed mortal sin.

So although there is a great weight of apparent evidence to suggest that Mel Gibson is in schism from the Church to which I belong, I will continue to reserve judgment until the Church speaks with authority.

And since Jeremy suggested drinks, I'll have a pint of Newcastle Brown.

Peace.
JSA[/i]
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 22 Apr, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
Man, I'm glad I was raised a protestant! WTF?!

lol, well, since God is an Englishman, I'm glad my parents baptized me as an Aglican. Happy
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
Jay Barron wrote:
Man, I'm glad I was raised a protestant! WTF?!

lol, well, since God is an Englishman, I'm glad my parents baptized me as an Aglican. Happy

Then surely you know why "the sun never sets on the British Empire . . "

Because not even God trusts those b______s in the dark.

JSA
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
...or an agnostic/atheist. Happy

^^^ word Happy

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Passion of the Christ
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: