Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Stainless welded maille purchase. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Williams wrote:

Yes. I would definitely prefer to wear a riveted maille shirt to a welded mesh shirt if my life depended on it stopping pre-firearm weaponry. However, this mesh is adequate for today's dangers and is less expensive.

Thanks again, and now I think I have a clear idea of the range of treat protection this maille gives in the modern context as being adequate and in a period context ( Discounting historical accuracy issues ) where this level of protection might be O.K. as light armour but below the best protection one could have with stronger maille.

Well, I guess this means I'm still happy about the purchase as it fills my current needs but eventually I might be tempted to upgrade to the best maille I can get, if I can afford it, and just for the pleasure of having it ! Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the subject of cheap Indian maille, is the maille seen here:

http://wholesalearmor.com/flatrivethauberk.html

Worth the investment? I had doubts, for that price, but considered using it for a 13th/14th century kit.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
On the subject of cheap Indian maille, is the maille seen here:

http://wholesalearmor.com/flatrivethauberk.html

Worth the investment? I had doubts, for that price, but considered using it for a 13th/14th century kit.

M.

Thats the stuff I have, pretty darn good for the price. Patrick Kelly used it in his Norman interpretation I believe. If you do purchase from them get it off their E-Bay sight.(KingsLance) I is cheaper there...about $279 I think
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice addition to your collection Jean! Even though I do not belong to any re enactment group I bought the "steel" version of the Windlass hauberk nearly two years ago at Kult of Athena, at that time it was the only one of this particular kind that was in stock. I guess it might be more of a haubergon, since it ends just below the crotch area and the sleeves go to just past the elbow, but it is a riveted galvanized all steel shirt and weighs 23 pounds. The retail price from Windlass on it was $695.00 but I picked it up for $465.00 at Kult of Athena.
It's nice to have in my opinion, even though I do not belong to any group, but when I put the gambeson, the mail shirt, heavy leather vambraces and barbarian battle helm my wife bought me as a birthday present on, there is some kind of spiritual connection and it feels intense. I wear mine occasionally when practicing with swords and since I am never going to be able to afford plate armour, I am really satisfied with having this mail shirt to give me a realistic type of feeling. Which is another reason I went for the real steel riveted mail and not aluminum of some other pseudo mail shirt.
Which is why I think your really going to be happy that you bought this for yourself! This was an excellent investment in yourself and a very nice learning tool I think!

Congrats!

Bob
Ben Williams

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The cheap India maille is nice for the price. It doesn't look like period maille most of the time but most would say close enough.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I certainly was not going to spend a young fortune on a mail hauberk, at the same time I was not about to buy some cheap imitation of a hauberk either. Just wanted something that was realistic enough and this certainly is since it is made from steel and it is riveted and the links are strong. It's a big improvement on what I've seen guys wearing at the Ren Faire, that's for sure. I can't stand inferior quality in things that are important to me, while I also have to remember that I am not J. Paul Ghetty either Laughing Out Loud !
Too much money on a hauberk for me, especially not being involved in any group, nor would I probably be able to since I have arthritis all through my spine from too many years of trying to be 25. All the years in brutal weightlifting,hardcore eastern martial arts and working in the trades, took it's toll. Besides, too much money on a hauberk, not only would my wife have a fit, but that's also an Albion or Arms & Armor sword that I could have bought!

Bob
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know this post is somewhat old but I also have a maille shirt from ringlord. Ringlord maille are made by maille tech in canada.

I have pieces of their mail, but not the entire shirt to play with. I guess the position of the placement are important in some ways, because if I place the mail on on a wooden board and throw spear or dagger at it, it will penetrate. If I place it on something soft like my old gambeson it won't penetrate. Stabbing it with dagger in hand proves to be hard to penetrate over gambeson. Perhaps I'm too weak or lack the will to get stabby, it's just really hard to stab through it with my hand. If I place it on something hard then it will definitely penetrate a bit, without breaking the links.

I think the Indian mail preforms better in some ways, such as the ring being bigger and heavier than this light mail, but this shirt is definitely functional to some degrees.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Lee wrote:
I know this post is somewhat old but I also have a maille shirt from ringlord. Ringlord maille are made by maille tech in canada.

I have pieces of their mail, but not the entire shirt to play with. I guess the position of the placement are important in some ways, because if I place the mail on on a wooden board and throw spear or dagger at it, it will penetrate. If I place it on something soft like my old gambeson it won't penetrate. Stabbing it with dagger in hand proves to be hard to penetrate over gambeson. Perhaps I'm too weak or lack the will to get stabby, it's just really hard to stab through it with my hand. If I place it on something hard then it will definitely penetrate a bit, without breaking the links.

I think the Indian mail preforms better in some ways, such as the ring being bigger and heavier than this light mail, but this shirt is definitely functional to some degrees.

I still have the maille shirt, and I find this post interesting as I've never tested the shirt for effectiveness.

I would assume that it would be very protective from cuts or draw cuts and over some sort of padding reasonably effective against thrusts.

When maille is put on a hard surface the whole force of a point or edge is working to cut or burst the wire, when on a soft surface most of the energy is dissipated.

Just my opinion, but any test where the maille is on a hard unyielding surface is almost meaningless in judging if the mail would be protective when worn on the body.

The small diameter links also mean that even a narrow point wont do much damage unless it burst at least one link.

With a large 9 mm ring a thin blade like a Rondel dagger, or even more an Ice pic, could go deep even without a single ring being compromised: Thickness of clothing under the maille also adds a lot of extra protection even if just a thick wool shirt.

A gambison, being thicker, also reduces blunt trauma or how deep a point might get into the body.

In a modern context I think this light maille should protect reasonably well from most folding knives or tactical knives, and if hidden under clothes, it would come as a surprise to an assailant that their attacks did little or nothing.

Now, if somebody shot you with any pistol I assume that the maille could actually make things worse with secondary projectiles from broken links.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
When maille is put on a hard surface the whole force of a point or edge is working to cut or burst the wire, when on a soft surface most of the energy is dissipated.

Just my opinion, but any test where the maille is on a hard unyielding surface is almost meaningless in judging if the mail would be protective when worn on the body.

I am glad to learn this, for a second I though the mail has failed and I was almost on the look out for another. The rondel used in the test also cut the Indian made mail when placed on a hard surface as well.

Quote:
with a large 9 mm ring a thin blade like a Rondel dagger, or even more an Ice pic, could go deep even without a single ring being compromised: Thickness of clothing under the maille also adds a lot of extra protection even if just a thick wool shirt.

I compared it with my 9mm Indian made mail scarp, the dagger point would hit the flat side of the ring from time to time, but maybe that's just me.

Quote:
In a modern context I think this light maille should protect reasonably well from most folding knives or tactical knives, and if hidden under clothes, it would come as a surprise to an assailant that their attacks did little or nothing.

I would think so too, if a good dagger and knife can't cut it or penetrate I don't think any flimsy cut throat knife would.

Thank you for your input Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Stainless welded maille purchase.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: