Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion, does it live up to the hype? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Quote:
I'm sorry mate thats not even in the ballpark.

Jean I realize that Rob MacPherson's work sucks and all but you are aware that The Met keeps all three of the armourers marks he's used over the years on file aren't you? You see a number of years ago The Met curriatorial staff were preping and newly aquired period harness to go on display. This suit bore an armourers mark that they had never seen before. About a week before the harness hit the floor the mark was finally identified, as Bob MacPherson's. Being that he's "not even in the ballpark" I wonder how he managed to fool the curriatorial staff of The Met?

In fairness, the helmet Jean said wasn't in the "ballpark" is by Peter Fuller, not Robert MacPherson. However, Peter Fuller is no slouch....

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Also in debates I personally " rarely " get upset with disagreement but I do find it frustrating when people misunderstand the intent of someone's words by failing to actually read/listen to what was actually said, and I'm very pleased if/when I succeed to do it well and when it is reciprocated. Big Grin Cool To be understood with respect is more important than being agreed with. Wink Laughing Out Loud

As do i my friend, and i agree wholeheartedly. I have always found you to be a gentleman and a thoughtful and learned man in our discussions here and more often than not find myself in agreement with you on nearly every point. And not only because of your good French name!

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Of course nice swords can be made while paying attention to none of these, getting them right "by the feel". But one thing that has drawn me into buying at Albion is that Peter Johnsson demonstrates an uncommon understanding of these properties and their importance. The added value of Albion swords is there for me; I can trust the documentation of antiques Peter did. Whether they are better or worse, at least they are designed by someone who understands.

Agreed, and well said. To me Peters role emphasizes my point. But I wonder what mr. Johnsson himself feels about the current status of understanding medieval weaponry, and if we have any further to go. Perhaps he will chime in.

J

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Meulemans wrote:
Honestly, If you can provide me with information on how and where I may reliably obtain a useable (not one that "seems", but is) pre-16th C. piece which approximates the type produced by the makers under discussion in the sub-3k range, I would be delighted to hear.

For a usable pre-16th century piece you are probably better off with a high end replica. For somebody who wants something very high quality from circa 1480 and can find a similar real one from 1520 or 1570 which is functional, that may be a better option.

J

Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll pitch my 2 cents in....

Rather than comment on Albion living up to the hype (who's hype anyway?), I would rather say, do they live up to their reputation, and the answer is yes.

Excellent Product!
Excellent Customer Service! (They go out of their way to make sure you are not only happy, but satisfied with their product.)
Cost...for the product, well worth it. I have owned several models of their line and handled many more of the at gatherings. Fit and finish...excellent. Handling...excellent.

Personally, I have no problems in recommending them.

Jeff Happy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hype (greatly exaggerated publicity intended to excite public interest in something such as a movie or theatrical production)

Reputation (the generally accepted estimation of somebody or something as having particular qualities or attributes)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also a question, maybe for another thread, which steel is better, those made back in the day or modern steels?
"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler,

You have not explained, concretely, exactly why you think the original Brescia Spadona is better than the Albion reproduction. You didn't, becasue you can't. You've pointed out all sorts of things that lead up that conclusion, but nothing in support of the conclusion itself.

Since the shape is matched pretty much 100%, the only difference can be steel quality and heat treat. For the most part, as much as they knew what they were doing, they were technological primitives who's heat treating and steel quality were, in your words, a quantum leap behind ours. In practical terms, that makes little difference, but what difference there is will be for Albion's benefit, not the antique's.

We can't invent swords the way they did because there is no feedback loop and our use of them is limited, but we don't need to....we have theirs.

Would I rather own the antique? Are you kidding? I'd kill for it. Happy But the Albion is the better sword.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
You have not explained, concretely, exactly why you think the original Brescia Spadona is better than the Albion reproduction. You didn't, becasue you can't. You've pointed out all sorts of things that lead up that conclusion, but nothing in support of the conclusion itself.

Actually this is also because all judgements of value are impossible with swords... Since we do not have any expert from the middle age around to tell us. In fact we would need several of these because part of the judgement is dependent on the user. Possibly a great part...

The only thing really possible, and not a matter of opinion, is to tell how close to originals our reproductions are. We can also infer what they were trying to do from the study of originals, but this is still a modern understanding.

The only way to say that a sword is better than another is by proving it is closer to an original. In this point of view the Brescia Spadona cannot be bettered, being an original itself Happy

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a brief addition to the stock removal vs. forged discussion-it was noted that most modern swords are ground to final finish regardless of how the blank is made, I did not see it mentioned that modern mill-run steel is "forged" by rolling mills during it's production so it could be argued that any blade made from modern steel has been forged at some point.

The deformation caused by hand-forging a blank is rather minute compared to the rolling process and if not done evenly and at the correct heat it is more likely to cause defects in the steel than improve it. The practical fact of the matter is that unless the smith is both skilled and careful during forging, the stock removal guy probably has the all-out performance advantage.

Decarburization is also a factor in forging that can affect the final outcome, unless the forged surface is ground off it is likely to have reduced carbon content and possibly higher impurity levels, depending on atmospheric conditions of the forge.

Mill-run steel or properly forged steel does have a linear wood-grain like structure which is cut across during stock removal, causing a situation that in a piece of wood is called grain run-out and can reduce strength but in fairly simple cross section such as a sword blade this is generally of nominal difference.

To stay on-topic, I have 2 Albions and hope to own more one day. They are expensive but they don't disappoint. From the perspective of a hobbyist smith (and a picky customer), the work that goes into them justifies the price, the only question is whether one wants it bad enough to lay out the dough.
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is probably the most interesting topic on this subject i've read in a very long time.

One the one hand you cant really argue with this:
Michael Edelson wrote:
Since the shape is matched pretty much 100%, the only difference can be steel quality and heat treat. For the most part, as much as they knew what they were doing, they were technological primitives who's heat treating and steel quality were, in your words, a quantum leap behind ours. In practical terms, that makes little difference, but what difference there is will be for Albion's benefit, not the antique's.

But on the other hand a few modern makers might argue that their own designs rival anything previously made despite not having the same feedback loop, simply because of their understanding of physics. Are they right? I'm not sure.

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Agreed, and well said. To me Peters role emphasizes my point. But I wonder what mr. Johnsson himself feels about the current status of understanding medieval weaponry, and if we have any further to go. Perhaps he will chime in.

Obviously we have further to go in the area of sword design, but at the end of the day, I simply can't see how a perfect recreation of a existing sword made with better materials can be a worse sword than the original?
I hope Peter does chime in, as I cant think of anyone else who can produce original designs of medieval weapons to such a high degree.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
We can't invent swords the way they did because there is no feedback loop and our use of them is limited, but we don't need to....we have theirs.

What we need the feedback loop for is to know we are getting it right. And we do have a feedback loop, only it's just a trickle like i said, from re-enactors, collectors, and HEMA practitioners. People willing to do risky tests with expensive replicas, to whom we all owe a great deal. I think because we have only this trickle and not a flood, it will take a long time to get it perfect, so to speak, and we are not there yet. Not by a long shot.

Since we don't kill people or fight for real with the replicas we make today we really don't know if they are effectively the same, even if they appear to be on outward appearance. Again, another example I might cite just to make my position clear. If you were an enthusiast living in the distant future, you could examine a 1960 car and copy it piece by piece, but without being able to ever drive the car, you really wouldn't know if you did everything right. Once you did drive it you might find out that the suspension wasn't strong enough, or the tyres couldn't hold enough air, or the breaks were too stiff, or your spark plugs might not be able to take the amperage from the battery.

Swords may not be as complex as cars, but the way they are used is actually quite complex indeed.

As someone whose work is basically engineering, I know from long experience that it is hard to get something as subtle as a sword absolutely perfect without some testing. Ask any computer programmer. There is always a bug in the code the first time you run it.

And lets not forget, the degree of careful examination which was done on the Brescia Spadona is still fairly unique. It's a funny coincidence that that particular sword seems to perform so well compared to the others, don't you think?

Quote:
Would I rather own the antique? Are you kidding? I'd kill for it. Happy But the Albion is the better sword.

Sorry, I may not have proven my assertion, but neither have you mate.

J

Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And lets not forget, the degree of careful examination which was done on the Brescia Spadona is still fairly unique. It's a funny coincidence that that particular sword seems to perform so well compared to the others, don't you think?

J

Are you saying that the Brescia was a more thoroughly documented sword than others of the Museum Line? I was under the impression that PJ had also spent a lot of time on all the others especially the Svante. Didn't he even reproduce the Tritonia or Solingen (I can't remeber which one) for the Museum that holds the respective original sword. I would imagine that scenario would allow him as much time with the sword in question as required.

Also who has said that the Brescia performs well compared to the others?

Albions do not live up to the hype, they exceed it.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)

Last edited by Paul Watson on Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One other thing.

We know modern steels are better... for certain things. They are better for I-beams. For car doors. For rebar. We do not know for sure that they are better for making weapons or armor. (In fact someone posted here not all that long ago that the steel from medieval armor was studied by Defense Department contractors.)

Modern steel is definitely more homogeneous and more consistently of high quality. Anything produced in 740 AD or 1470 AD has more chances of being flawed than something produced in 2008, and we know that some antiques had flaws in them.

However, we also do know that they had their own manufacturing processes, as has been mentioned in this thread. Not just for making swords but for smelting iron and making steel itself. The city of Milan alone was capable of outfitting thousands of soldiers with weapons and armor in a matter of weeks. I do not believe a large percentage of this kit was flawed. There was a fierce competition for quality military equipment, and very smart and resourceful people were making it in an extremely competitive environment, for very very high stakes.

There have been studies showing flaws or low hardness in some medieval weapons, and extremely "good" qualities in others. There have also been some studies of the molecular structure of certain types of swords which show possibly very advanced properties. The jury is in fact still out on how advanced the metalurgy really was. Something else to keep in mind.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Are you saying that the Brescia was a more thoroughly documented sword than others of the Museum Line? I was under the impression that PJ had also spent a lot of time on all the others especially the Svante. Didn't he even reproduce the Tritonia or Solingen (I can't remeber which one) for the Museum that holds the respective original sword. I would imagine that scenario would allow him as much time would the sword in question as required.

No I'm saying there are what, 5 swords in the museum line? From what i understand the two which got the most careful analysis were the Brescia and the Svante. I haven't heard of too many test-cutting experiments done with the Svante

Quote:
Also who has said that the Brescia performs well compared to the others?

Anecdotally, and from personal experience. One day I cut with about 15 Albion swords and witnessed people cutting with a large number of others, about 30. The Brescia Spadona cut better against all the media we had (foam tubes and plastic soda bottles) than all the others by a wide margin.

There have also been many reports of test cutting against different media (including things like pig-knuckles) from a variety of people. Most recently one by a guy who did some test cutting against cloth armor. I believe the Brescia performed by far the best overall of all the Western swords. It was about midway between the other swords and the Katana.

Which is funny because the convention wisdom was I believe, that very pointy swords wouldn't cut as well as your XII, XIII types. Of course different weapons cut better against different media.

Anyway it's not scientific analysis. It just seems to be the case.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, I may not have proven my assertion, but neither have you mate.

J

I don't want to make this a "me vs you" thing, but I want to reiterate my point because its an important one. I don't need to prove my point because you don't contest its most important element.

You don't disagree that the Albion BS is dimensionally (measured to reasonable tolerances) identical to the original (and if you want to bring up hilt construction, that the hilt construction is either identical or equally sturdy). If this is so (and unless Peter Johnsson disagrees I think his word vs anyone else's says "yes"), then the ONLY difference is the steel.

You cite reasons why the original SHOULD be better. Those reasons are sound, and irrelevant.

With the dimensions of the sword uncontested, if the steel is better on the Albion, then the Albion is better. There are no other factors to consider.

Your point may be sound when considering other reproduction swords, but not Albion' museum line.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, there is the stock removal, which some people think is irrelevant but i do not. The heat treat. And yes, the steel.

And I'm sorry, but I think there probably are some other intangibles. I admit I have no proof for that.

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One other thing.

We know modern steels are better... for certain things.

Now that is a good point. However, it's based on speculation and therefore can't be substantiatied sufficently without a ton of research. As far as we know with all the information available to us, modern steel is better in every respect, and until proven otherwise, that fact will have to stand.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There have also been many reports of test cutting against different media from a variety of people. Most recently one by a guy who did some test cutting against cloth armor. I believe the Brescia performed by far the best overall of all the Western swords. It was about midway between the other swords and the Katana.

That was me. Happy

And yes, you're right. The Brescia is thus far the best Western sword I've ever cut with it, except for the Albion Duke, though I've only had the chance to cut pool noodles, which is completely out of a historical context and therefore doesn't count.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
There have also been many reports of test cutting against different media from a variety of people. Most recently one by a guy who did some test cutting against cloth armor. I believe the Brescia performed by far the best overall of all the Western swords. It was about midway between the other swords and the Katana.

That was me. Happy

And yes, you're right. The Brescia is thus far the best Western sword I've ever cut with it, except for the Albion Duke, though I've only had the chance to cut pool noodles, which is completely out of a historical context and therefore doesn't count.

Yeah I thought so, but was too lazy to go back and check, kind of worn out from this discussion! Thanks again for doing the testing that kind of thing is very valuable to the whole community IMO.

J

Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...and then again, it would be good to define "better", when speaking of steel.

For among the professional smiths (not just bladesmiths, but blacksmiths and metallurgists) I know, opinions do vary a great deal.

Modern alloys allow a huge advantage : regularity. Confidence. Repeatability of operations. Consitency of results. Which is something you cannot always get with bloomery steel (though it is highly possible that, historically, several iron/steel production centers managed to make semi-products that possessed more or less the same qualities - but that's a totally different topic). This consistency is necessary when mass-producing items if you want to give them the same properties - and basically, that's what Albion sells.

However, there are people who just swear by home-made iron/steel - and claim they get better results using their own bloomery steel. They claim it oxydises less, they claim it holds a better edge, they claim it moves better under the hammer, grinds off better under the belt, welds better. I have no reason not to trust them - but then again, it's just a matter of trust. Which does not, by no means, diminishes the qualities of modern steels. It alll depends on what you're looking for.

For some, stainless steel is better because, well, it's stainless, and that's precisely what they're looking for. To others, stainless is crap because of the very specific HTs it needs.

Same goes with hand-forging vs. stock removal.

Jean Henri is right in that we don't necessarily expect from modern swords what medieval people expected from theirs.

Albion swords are great in that they're well-designed and (or so I believe) thoroughly thought and pondered, and as you mentionned, Jean Henri, it is a huge improvement compared to what was available on the market 8 years ago for instance. Peter does a fantastic job, and so does the Albion team.

About medieval swords being sometimes crap : yes, and no. Depends on the period. Quality Control existed in the later middle ages, and we still keep ordinances from several cities stating that no sword should be sold, that did not pass the quality tests - or whose maker did not prove he made QCed producst, guaranteed by his mark (the mark being officially recorded and acknowledged by the city experts after thorough checking). Not respecting these quality requirements led to severe fines, and possible ban from the profession and the city. Nothing to be taken too lightly.
Or, in the case of a wandering swords dealer, the latter could not sell his products on the public market/fair unless they were QCed beforehand by the city experts - both to guarantee quality products to the customer, and to protect local makers. Which proves, therefor, that there was crap, and also that there was quality. But that's totally OT.

My 2 cents (again).

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion, does it live up to the hype?
Page 7 of 9 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: