Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion, does it live up to the hype? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next 
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I have absolutely no doubt that the fuller is straighter on the Albion version. Which I think is exquisite. I have a huge amount of respect for PJ. I also have absolutely no doubt that the original is a better sword than the replica. Go figure.

You know I can't really lay claim to even holding an antique sword. i can however tell you about my experience with Albion swords having owned several over the years. All things being what they are I see something else that may be at play here. I'm a musician. I deal and play vintage instruments all the time. I've even owned my fair share. An old strat can go upwards of $12,000 nowadays. Now for me that's a little steep so for me I'd rather go for a replica at $1200 and take that to work. My replica will have modern appointments not readily apparent from just a glance. They play better, stay in tune, and just function way better then the older stuff in my collection. But....... There's always the guy that insists that the 66 strat he has is better just because it's "Real". He insists nothing sounds like it, plays like it, so on and so on. Now while he's entitled to his opinion, really what's happening is he's fixated on the vintage and not on the actual function of the guitar. Sometimes people get so caught up in the fact that something is old and therefor must be the way it was meant to be that they'll overlook all the flaws like bad intonation, poor action, and no compound radius and get caught up in the "vibe" of the piece, overlooking and making excuses for things that just would not be accepted if it were new. Sorry if I got long winded but do you catch my drift?
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I catch your drift alright, and all I can say is, let me know if you change your mind when you handle a real good quality antique weapon (there being high and low end antiques just like there are high and low end replicas). Look at the armor photos I posted. Have you ever seen any modern reproduction armor as good as those first three photos?

As for your comparison to the naive guy with the fetish for oldness, make your assumptions as you please. I'm not that guy.

I find it funny how every year for 8 years now, I've been told the same thing on some forum or another, usually by somebody who has spent a lot of money buying reproductions: we are right at this moment at the pinnacle of the art of sword reproduction. Whatever technical points I may have raised are rubbish. It simply doesn't get any better than this, especially back in those olden days when they didn't know how to measure a strait line and didn't even have toilet paper. The reproductions we make now are better, because we have better steel now, lasers, CnC mills and etc. And yet every year they come out with new improvements for these perfect reproductions which seem to usually correspond coincidentally enough to making them more precisely like the originals. I mean isn't that basically what Peter Johnnson does for Albion? Maybe the real Brescia Spadona was flawed in certain aesthetic ways. But the Albion copy of it seems to be one of the best performing weapons in their line... it is also one of the most carefully measured and precise replicas in their line.

I've been to Europe, lived over there. I've been in the places these folks built. And I've seen the weapons they made, the "real" ones. Those folks knew what they were doing in my opinion, and were making swords for people whose lives depended on them. Not for putting on walls or once in a blue moon, cutting a pool noodle which is what 95% of people who buy swords do with them now days.

I'll tell you one thing I know for sure. Like a lot of people I've been studying the martial arts systems they used with those swords for several years now and I can say without a doubt that the Art in those manuals is better for armed combat than any modern martial art in existence. A quantum leap better. I have yet to see a convincing argument as to why I should assume that our replicas -made in a time when swords are no longer used for warfare or dueling- are superior.

I'm sorry, I have nothing against you, but what I see here is rationalization. Just because your high quality replicas may not be better or even quite as good as the original swords they were based upon doesn't invalidate your collection. I think they are actually amazingly close replicas, and so far beyond the replicas I was seeing (including the old Albion ones) when I was first getting into this that it's really breathtaking. But not so breathtaking that I lose my sense of perspective. That doesn't mean King Henry would have been better off going into Agincourt with a modern replica than the sword he really had. Call me crazy.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Look at the armor photos I posted. Have you ever seen any modern reproduction armor as good as those first three photos?

Yes. There are people out there, Peter Fuller and Robert MacPherson and others among them, who could (and have) produce armour to that degree and level of detail. Most customers don't want to fork over the kind of money necessary to have things of that nature constructed though.

See here: http://www.medievalrepro.com/Premier.htm

MacPherson has even reproduced a simplified version of the Charles V KD garniture you pictures above:

I have no doubt he could do an exact repro that would rival the original.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Yes. There are people out there, Peter Fuller and Robert MacPherson and others among them, who could (and have) produce armour to that degree and level of detail. Most customers don't want to fork over the kind of money necessary to have things of that nature constructed though.

I'm sorry, you misunderstand me. I wasn't talking about the level of detail. If you can't see what I mean then I don't know what else to say.

I'm sorry mate thats not even in the ballpark.

J

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Meulemans wrote:
I will attempt brevity...

Firstly, the average cost of an Albion NextGen in the present lineup is $917. While it has been mentioned several times that there are less expensive offerings from Albion, I believe it a bit unfair to continually sling around a $2000-3000 figure. None of the NextGen line exceed the 2k mark. In fact, none of them exceed the $1500 mark, and most of the sixty-eight available NextGens don't even come close. Of the five swords in the Museum line, two do exceed (but not by much) the $1500 mark, and only one hits 3k, that being the Svante.

Secondly, while many of us would love to have "the real deal" - including myself - for many of us arguing as to their affordability or availability is pointless. I'm not about to take a period piece and drill (not fervently, at least) or cut with it, so in the end I'm still left with a need for a high-quality reproduction. This alone negates (for me) the entire direction much of this thread has taken.

All i said was that their cost was approaching the cost of real antiques, which I think is very clearly true. I never said they had exceeded them.

I have handled period weapons that seem sturdy enough that I would feel comfortable solo- drilling with.

J

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have absolutely no doubt that the fuller is straighter on the Albion version. Which I think is exquisite. I have a huge amount of respect for PJ. I also have absolutely no doubt that the original is a better sword than the replica. Go figure.

J

On what do you base that opinion? I'd be curious to know. What makes the original better in your opinion?

I personally wouldn't go so far as to say Albion's swords (or anyone's for that matter) are better than all period swords. I think we can say with some certainty that any high-quality reproduction (Albion, A&A and some others, including custom guys) has the potential to be better than an average sword of the period for sure and perhaps as good as high-end period swords. In some cases, they could be better. In some cases, certainly not. I think blanket statements that all Albions either are or are not better than all period swords are not defensible, though.

It's foolhardy to say that all antiques are better than modern reproductions or that all reproductions are better than antiques.

I do not believe we're at the pinnacle of sword design and production, but I do feel there are certain people out there today whose products rival, and can best, period pieces with no trouble. Not everyone and not every piece, but there are some.

Just my two cents from studying these things and handling and owning (at some point or other) a bunch a repros and having the good fortune to handle and photograph a few dozen antique weapons.

Happy

ChadA

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Sun 13 Jan, 2008 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sorry, you misunderstand me. I wasn't talking about the level of detail. If you can't see what I mean then I don't know what else to say.

J

Not in the ballpark? I think we'll disagree fundamentally about who can see what then... Happy Peter Fuller has spent many hours documenting, measuring, and reproducing that harness and though the picture quality on his site could be better, I'm surprised you think it's so off.

Have you seen the original? From my recollection of seeing the original less than a year ago, and from knowing how much time Peter spent documenting it, it's definitely in the ballpark, if not in same section and row as the original. There are some minor differences, but that's all they are.

Attachment: 66.18 KB
Clifford Helm.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This thread seems to have strayed away from Albion, swords (primarily what they make), and the question of hype.

Based on development effort (we often glimpse previews of this in progress posts by Albion over several months, sometimes mentioning blade changes, etc. that they go through before deciding a model is ready to produce), research, quality of materials, and a high standard for final finish, it does not seem reasonable to expect lower end market prices.

As far as quality compared to originals, the use of modern homogeneous materials and high tech heat treat “should” produce something at least mechanically equal or better than many medieval swords. At the Oakeshott Institute, there are some articles about the metallurgy of steel from that era. Most of the time, metallurgy was not particularly great or consistent throughout an item (armour, sword, etc.)

A lot have people have said they love their products, but can not afford them. That is a choice of economy. Similarly, I admire Porsche sports cars, and understand why they cost what they cost. I consider them too expensive for my need, which is just cheap and simple transportation. That does not make them over-hyped, or overpriced compared to the labor, performance, esthetics, and support that the company invests in their products.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albions's swords are way too expensive for me, but that's not to say they are way too expensive period. As has been pointed out, you get a good sword for your money.

I can't really criticize the stock removal method they use either, because to be honest, if I had access to the kind of machinery and materials as they do I'd be churning the things out by the hundreds as well. I would still prefer a hand-forged blade, but I think it's silly to suggest a machine-produced sword isn't "real" or something.

If I have any criticism for Albion, it's their lack of variation; the fact that they only produce medieval European swords. I also find the majority of their designs largely uninteresting. (With some notable exceptions; I'd love to own a Valkyrja or Kingmaker, for instance.) But that's of course my personal opinion, and not a matter of the quality of their products.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
This thread seems to have strayed away from Albion, swords (primarily what they make), and the question of hype.

Based on development effort (we often glimpse previews of this in progress posts by Albion over several months, sometimes mentioning blade changes, etc. that they go through before deciding a model is ready to produce), research, quality of materials, and a high standard for final finish, it does not seem reasonable to expect lower end market prices.

As far as quality compared to originals, the use of modern homogeneous materials and high tech heat treat “should” produce something at least mechanically equal or better than many medieval swords. At the Oakeshott Institute, there are some articles about the metallurgy of steel from that era. Most of the time, metallurgy was not particularly great or consistent throughout an item (armour, sword, etc.)

A lot have people have said they love their products, but can not afford them. That is a choice of economy. Similarly, I admire Porsche sports cars, and understand why they cost what they cost. I consider them too expensive for my need, which is just cheap and simple transportation. That does not make them over-hyped, or overpriced compared to the labor, performance, esthetics, and support that the company invests in their products.

I agree completely that this is a different TOPIC of originals being better in some mystical way i.e. unquantifiable in that no matter how close the reproduction is in physical qualities to originals, the original will always be better in some way that we don't or can't fundamentally understand no matter how much we measure and quantify variables.

I'm obviously overstating things in the above to make a point and if more discussion about it is worth it it should be spilt of into a new Topic, like what makes a reproduction identical in all ways to a period antique and should the goal always be to duplicate what was done in period including the flaws ?

Getting back to Albion: Yes it lives up to the hype and is worth the money if one can afford them.
Can they be improved ? I'm sure they can, but only in small incremental ways as they are at least 90% there but every small improvement becomes much harder to quantify the closer one gets to 100% accurate.

Oh, then the question is: Accurate in which ways ? Handling, materials, period flaws, function as real swords for their intended uses ? And, " HERESY " : What if we can surpass the period swords should we even try ?

Lets say that the objectives in making and collecting swords can vary from the maximum effort exactness of a reproduction that could be achieved if we could duplicate a period sword molecule by molecule to completely modern interpretations at the other end. For an identical to period sword one could choose to copy it in it's present " aged " state or as it would have been when new. We can include period " flaws " or make them geometrically perfect in ways unachievable in period and with a modern aesthetic.

I think Albion swords are of the second type: based on the originals, but " improved " and to please the modern eye and aesthetics i.e. perfect geometric symmetry and clean, strait lines.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me there is nothing mystical about it. The reason the better period originals are better than the best modern replicas are simple.

#1) There was a positive feedback loop between people using swords for killing and people making swords for killing.

Replicas have gotten much better since people (i.e. the consumer base) have learned more about how swords were used, but the feedback loop between collectors and re-enactors and HEMA practitoners is but a trickle of information compared to the vast armies (literally) of people using swords in period.

What we are doing today is essentially like making ancient food that looks pretty but nobody actually ever eats. We can study the ingredients in a mass spectrometor, cook it with the most advanced microwave ovens. But we don't know if it would give you indigestion. There is more to baking bread than eggs yeast sugar and flour.

#2) People knew how to use swords. It was common knowledge how to use swords.

Swords are more subtle and complex to use than most people think. It's really nothing like we see in Hollywood movies. A few hundred, maybe a few thousand people are now trying to reconstrruct the techniques of fencing from the old manuals. A lot of progress has been made in understanding the basics. But we still clearly have a lot to learn just to grasp the subtleties of a journeymans level of the Art, (despite some modern maestros claim to the contrary).

#3) There was an uninterrupted tradition of sword forging which went back to the Bronze age.

#4) There was a vastly larger number of people making and using swords

Well there is no argument on this one is there?

#5) The performance of swords was literally a matter of life or death back then. Makers of poor or flawed swords which failed in combat could very well have their own lives on the line.

The relationship between sword users and makers today is rather different from the old days. A swordmaker was an artisan but often literally lived at the suffrance of a Lord who may have been his customer. Today we the consumers of swords seem to worship the sword makers, including companies like Albion as if they were Lords themselves. Whether one could actually be killed for suggesting there was anything wrong with their product, I don't know, but sometimes I wonder.... Wink

#6) The swords were being made for weapons, they were among the most important things in society.

A sword in this period was as important as a car, or a computer is to us today. Sadly swords do not have this level of importance in our society now.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Sun 13 Jan, 2008 9:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Eric Meulemans
Industry Professional

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All i said was that their cost was approaching the cost of real antiques, which I think is very clearly true. I never said they had exceeded them. I have handled period weapons that seem sturdy enough that I would feel comfortable solo- drilling with.

I understand what you were saying, and I was providing some figures to counter that notion. Perhaps, like all else here, what something must cost to "approach" another price is relative, but for myself, personally, costing at least twice as much doesn't qualify. Whether it's Albion, A&A, a variety of other manufacturers, or even a custom piece, it's still going to be on the order of several times less expensive than a comparable period piece, should one even exist or be available.

Honestly, If you can provide me with information on how and where I may reliably obtain a useable (not one that "seems", but is) pre-16th C. piece which approximates the type produced by the makers under discussion in the sub-3k range, I would be delighted to hear.

The question of the appropriateness of using a particular period blade and risking damage to an important piece of historical fabric is another entirely. Like any antique, it is not necessarily "valuable" merely because it is old, but must display significance due to its uniqueness of type, or by association with an event or person of import. Clearly those meeting criteria for such would not be available in the ranges we're discussing anyway, but no matter how "insignificant" the sword, many would be hesitant to use it, no matter if that was what it was originally intended for.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me there is nothing mystical about it. The reason the better period originals are better than the best modern replicas are simple.

Find the best handling period sword in the world and reproduce it exactly in materials, dimensions, heat treatment down to just above the " quantum " level of identicalness ( Oh, something beyond our present technology, but this is just for the sake of argument for a mind experiment: Lets assume that we have a near perfect duplicate ).

Under those conditions, we do not even have to understand why the original it a great handling sword or have understood the knowledge/experience that made it ! We have essentially " cloned " it.

Now under those conditions I can't see how the period sword could be better ?

I can understand the point you are trying to make that real life experience using swords would have influenced the design of swords with all sorts of subtle things that would be obvious to a master swordsman when picking up a sword and that to this swordsman even our best efforts might feel " OFF " in some ways. Confused

At the same time I understand your point it doesn't mean that I consider it proof ! A valid argument/theory but not a certainty to me.

I think I read a principle of logic or science that says to paraphrase: " A difference that makes no difference is not a difference ".

( Well, let's just agree to disagree if nothing else ).

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree Jean, well said, I know i haven't proven anything. At least you understand what I'm trying to say. I have discussed the actual specific details with some swordsmiths, who have a lot of ideas on this. But they will have to chime in here themselves (or not) because my own understanding of metalurgy, heat treatment etc. is too limited. I would probably mis-state something

But one example I can think of in the last ten years was distal taper. Nobody seemed to understand the concept eight or ten years ago. Now even lower end replicas do incorporate this somewhat subtle but often (depending on the sword) very important feature. Now it seems very obvious to us. Another example is Center of percussion. We may find that other aspects of blade design we don't think are critical now will emerge as being equally important.

I also believe there are similar subtleties in the forging process, in the metalurgy, etc. But as I said somebody who actually spends time in front of a forge will have to take it further, if they wish.

J

Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Jean I realize that Rob MacPherson's work sucks and all but you are aware that The Met keeps all three of the armourers marks he's used over the years on file aren't you? You see a number of years ago The Met curriatorial staff were preping and newly aquired period harness to go on display. This suit bore an armourers mark that they had never seen before. About a week before the harness hit the floor the mark was finally identified, as Bob MacPherson's. Being that he's "not even in the ballpark" I wonder how he managed to fool the curriatorial staff of The Met?
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Quote:

Jean I realize that Rob MacPherson's work sucks and all but you are aware that The Met keeps all three of the armourers marks he's used over the years on file aren't you? You see a number of years ago The Met curriatorial staff were preping and newly aquired period harness to go on display. This suit bore an armourers mark that they had never seen before. About a week before the harness hit the floor the mark was finally identified, as Bob MacPherson's. Being that he's "not even in the ballpark" I wonder how he managed to fool the curriatorial staff of The Met?

I'm puzzled about this also ? I think maybe Jean Henri is thinking about " functional differences " and not the artistry of the very high level of decoration.

Not that we have to agree with Jean Henri but it's good to be sure we are talking about the same aspects off period replication
shown in the armour in question that he is: Otherwise we are not only in disagreement we are also seriously confused. Wink Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree Jean, well said, I know i haven't proven anything. At least you understand what I'm trying to say. I have discussed the actual specific details with some swordsmiths, who have a lot of ideas on this. But they will have to chime in here themselves (or not) because my own understanding of metalurgy, heat treatment etc. is too limited. I would probably mis-state something

But one example I can think of in the last ten years was distal taper. Nobody seemed to understand the concept eight or ten years ago. Now even lower end replicas do incorporate this somewhat subtle but often (depending on the sword) very important feature. Now it seems very obvious to us. Another example is Center of percussion. We may find that other aspects of blade design we don't think are critical now will emerge as being equally important.

I also believe there are similar subtleties in the forging process, in the metalurgy, etc. But as I said somebody who actually spends time in front of a forge will have to take it further, if they wish.

J

Oh, I can agree that we haven't gotten to the point where we can be smug about having reached perfection and have nothing new to learn to get closer to understanding how to duplicate period swords or alternatively make modern swords using the period knowledge of swordmaking to full advantage.

Also in debates I personally " rarely " get upset with disagreement but I do find it frustrating when people misunderstand the intent of someone's words by failing to actually read/listen to what was actually said, and I'm very pleased if/when I succeed to do it well and when it is reciprocated. Big Grin Cool To be understood with respect is more important than being agreed with. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Eric Meulemans
Industry Professional

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I'm puzzled about this also ? I think maybe Jean Henri is thinking about " functional differences " and not the artistry of the very high level of decoration.

There is, for many people, a distinct difference between even an exact reproduction and the "real thing". This has been touched on several times already, most pertinently in the guitar analogy. The sentiment that "old tools feel good" is certainly applicable, in that while a saw or hammer made today may be the equal or functional superior to one made 100 years ago, those tools simply have more "character" and seem better somehow. I could use a modern-made broadaxe or adze, but I don't - I use those which were made a century past, simply because I enjoy them and they do they job they need to (and unlike swords, they are readily available and inexpensive...).

I think often, the "character", or that intangible quality that makes something "real" is merely the passage of time - nostalgia perhaps, othertimes one must wonder if the item itself is a repository of experience - who held it? Where did it go? What was done with it? And then again, perhaps that's just romanticism.

Nevertheless, to a great extent, what is "real" is merely what we are led to believe it is. I think that if an exact copy of the Mona Lisa were hung in the Musée du Louvre and visitors believed it to be the real painting, they would walk away contented that they had indeed seen the original. Such is the same with anything else - the fiction can be as satisfying as the truth if one wishes it to be true.
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I think that as far as the dynamic properties are concerned, we may have reached a level where there will not be another big progress like the "discovery" of distal taper. Simply because there are a finite number of properties of the sword that can affect its handling.

Chronologically it went a bit like this:

- Discovery of the mass (how swords do not weigh 35 pounds)
- Discovery of the center of gravity (so that at least the mass has the right value and is on average at the right place)
- And now Peter Johnsson takes pivot points in consideration, which represent the moment of inertia. Right mass, on average at the right place, and spread accross the length by the right amount

There is no quantity coming into play other than these, really. Distal taper is just a way to get these right. I suspect balde harmonics is another.

Of course nice swords can be made while paying attention to none of these, getting them right "by the feel". But one thing that has drawn me into buying at Albion is that Peter Johnsson demonstrates an uncommon understanding of these properties and their importance. The added value of Albion swords is there for me; I can trust the documentation of antiques Peter did. Whether they are better or worse, at least they are designed by someone who understands.

All the talk about the historicity from the performance point of view boils down to how we measure the differences between two given swords. I started a thread not so long ago on swordforum (here it is, a whooping 156 posts Confused) and the most representative answer was "we don't want to measure" Happy How you can talk about a difference whithout wanting to measure it remains a mystery for me Big Grin

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Quote:

I have nothing against Rob MacPherson, I'm not insulting or attacking the man. I just didn't think that helmet was equivalent of the antiques i showed. By pointing out that the Alps are not as high as the Himilaias, one is not insulting Switzerland.

I know nothing about the qualifications of the "curatorial staff" of the Met, who are no doubt far wiser than I.

However, I'm sure you are familiar with Oakeshott and how he came to develop his now famous Typology. It was actually in reaction to the classifications of generations of wise and learned museum and art curators, who classified swords based on the patterns of their hilts or pommels without any consideration to even the basic shape of the blade, let alone weight, balance, handling properties etc. As a result the myth of the 25 lbs sword was propagated and even taught in prestigious institutions of learning.

As for that helmet that I highlighted, I find that aeshtetically it does not to me to seem to be even "in the ballpark" of an equivalent historical piece. That is a subjective and subtle thing no doubt, and hard to quantify. Maybe if you want, start another thread and show us photos of ten excellent modern reproductions and ten historical panoplies of similar type and status. And then see if we can tell the difference. Might be fun.

But as for armor, again, i think the principle difference would be in how they wore, how they fit for fighting in, as well as how they stood up to blows and field conditions. Assuming field or at least tournament armor rather than purely parade pieces.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion, does it live up to the hype?
Page 6 of 9 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: