Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My first florysh.. be gentle.. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks again...         Reply with quote

Van de Laak wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Van de Laak wrote:
Remember I live in Hong Kong, and the rooms are tiny here, hehe.

Thanks again.

Then maybe you could get in touch with Lancelot Chan who is also in Hong Kong and who seems to have a nice rooftop to practice on. ( I'm assuming you don't know him or know of him, and he is a member here on myArmoury ).

He also run this company that sells practice weapons: http://www.rsw.com.hk/rpj.htm

You might be able to join him and others to train ?

His profile: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/profile.php?mod...&u=297

Link to sparring competition Topic thread:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

Thanks! I actually do know him, but the point is that I have only very limited time available, mostly only on Sundays, and then its only free sparring. My plan is to practise solo first (which I like) and perhaps join later. However I should be nice if he has a student who lives near my area (Tseung Kwan O), perhaps we can practise a half hour or so during weekdays evenings, were I live there is a huge outside parking lot, which is seldomly used. So Lance if you are reading this... u got any students who might be interested?

I'm pretty much a beginner myself but I think that having a good instructor or at least a more advanced student to practice with is very very valuable and that solo practice would be more valuable after one has learned the techniques with a partner and with the feel of the contact with another sword: There might be a risk in practising things incorrectly solo and not getting that feel of sword against sword i.e. having to imagine how it feels like instead of actually getting real feedback is a definite disadvantage in developing the right muscle memory.

I would suggest that some initial solo training may be useful but you shouldn't wait too long getting instruction and hands on correction to mistakes that may be very hard to spot oneself. Obviously finding a good teacher/swordmaster is optimum. Big Grin

In any cases best wishes.
Jean

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven

Before I answer your questions let me point out that I do not speak for ARMA or any of its members. I only speak for myself and out of my own somewhat limited understandings.

Steven H wrote:
Is the idea of never repeating a flourysh an ARMA idea?

Yes. If a set of movements are repeated over and over then we refer to it as a drill. For example, we have drills in which combinations of multiple cuts, thrusts, and slices are made. When performed at speed these drills may appear similar to a flourysh.

Steven H wrote:
I ask because several sources, that I listed above, do in fact script flouryshes. I suspect that these flouryshes (i.e. the Harleian) are intended to practice moving from one action to another, but that in combat only a brief piece of a flourysh will show up at a time.

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that the term was "borrowed" in order to distinguish between a formal drill and an unstructured set of movements that are never repeated. Combinations of cuts, thrust, and slices may, and should, show up in sparring. A flourysh is used to practice using such combinations on the fly.

Steven H wrote:
Can we be sure that historically flouryshes weren't used for teaching techniques? No doubt that they train and improve understanding of transitions but do they also teach techniques? I'm not that familiar with the sources that have flouryshes so I don't know.

Also, do you know the source for that definition of flourysh? I am particularly curious about the "large, showy" part of the definition, as that seems to go against how ARMA and others use flouryshes.

First, let me say that I too am not very familiar with the sources in question, so take what I say with a gain of salt. Maybe several grains. Razz In some of the sources there are defined flouryshes that are similar to drills, thus they do teach techniques. As noted earlier, a floursh also referred to the brandishing of a weapon. So today within ARMA, the term is used simply distinguish between a set drill and what is basically shadow boxing with a sword. For a more complete and accurate understanding of how the term came to be used within ARMA I would suggest contacting John Clements, the director of ARMA.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: My first florysh.. be gentle..         Reply with quote

Van de Laak wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V58MiSjQzDM

Any comments are welcome! Thanks. (don't expect much, its quite lame, for I am a newbie)

Van,

When you're working on our suggestions, try working through them one at a time. If you try to do everything at once, it's going to be too much, and you'll probably end up feeling frustrated and overwhelmed. Work on one thing, and when you think you've got it, move on.

One thing that will help your flourysh, even when you're delivering it slowly, is to imagine that you are fighting an opponent. Each action needs to be delivered with the same focus and precision that you'd need for fighting in earnest. In the video, it looks like you're just moving through the various strikes and thrusts and "going through the motions". You'll find that as you start to practice your flouryshes in this manner, they'll feel less awkward too, because your strikes, thrusts, slices etc. will be delivered with purpose.

See here for more on what I'm talking about: http://www.thearma.org/essays/Intent.htm
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:
Hello,

What exactly *is* a flourish, and which manual discusses them?

Hugh,

Might I suggest that if you do not currently encorporate flouryshes into your practice routine that you do so. There are numerous benefits to implementing them in one's training regime.

1) They provide an excellent means for beginners to begin working through footwork, guard transitions, and the basic actions like strikes, thrusts, parries and the like.

2) Flouryshes also gives people something to practice on their own at home. This means that you can can work on your long sword technique pretty much any time of the week. It's also helpful if, for whatever reason, you find yourself without a sparring partner.

3) For more advanced students, they can help you fine tune your form, the precision of your cuts, the speed at which you deliver them, and make various other adjustments of this nature. In other words, they help you to keep in good practice.

4) Flouryshes allow you to experiment with creative striking and thrusting combinations. The more variety of cuts and actions that you can seam together fluidly, the more responses you'll have as a fighter when sparring, and the more effective you'll be. Recall Filippo Vadi's advice: "He who knows many strokes brings poison with him".

5) Finally, keep in mind that flouryshes allow you to effective practice attacking, which is crucial to Liechtenauer's advice about gaining the first strike. A lot of the German manuals have a significant amount of focus on how to regain the initiative when your foe attacks before you do; less is said on how to effectively attack first, mostly because it comes down to delivering a good cut or thrust before your opponent can. There's not really a whole lot that can be said on it. Here again though, practice with flouryshing can help you in this regard.
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Hugh Knight wrote:
Hello,

What exactly *is* a flourish, and which manual discusses them?

Hugh,

Might I suggest that if you do not currently encorporate flouryshes into your practice routine that you do so. There are numerous benefits to implementing them in one's training regime.

1) They provide an excellent means for beginners to begin working through footwork, guard transitions, and the basic actions like strikes, thrusts, parries and the like.

2) Flouryshes also gives people something to practice on their own at home. This means that you can can work on your long sword technique pretty much any time of the week. It's also helpful if, for whatever reason, you find yourself without a sparring partner.

3) For more advanced students, they can help you fine tune your form, the precision of your cuts, the speed at which you deliver them, and make various other adjustments of this nature. In other words, they help you to keep in good practice.

4) Flouryshes allow you to experiment with creative striking and thrusting combinations. The more variety of cuts and actions that you can seam together fluidly, the more responses you'll have as a fighter when sparring, and the more effective you'll be. Recall Filippo Vadi's advice: "He who knows many strokes brings poison with him".

5) Finally, keep in mind that flouryshes allow you to effective practice attacking, which is crucial to Liechtenauer's advice about gaining the first strike. A lot of the German manuals have a significant amount of focus on how to regain the initiative when your foe attacks before you do; less is said on how to effectively attack first, mostly because it comes down to delivering a good cut or thrust before your opponent can. There's not really a whole lot that can be said on it. Here again though, practice with flouryshing can help you in this regard.

Craig,

We don't use "flourishes" for several reaons: There's no German source documenting them and there's no evidence they were used in any Ernstfechten art (not that there's anything wrong with Schulfechten, quite the contrary, but I gather this fellow doesn't practice it, nor do we). The only source I've seen for them in period is the English instructions someone already mentioned, and I have seen little evidence they're intended for Ernstfechten practice, and there they're precisely scripted, not free form as the OP and you suggest. Moreover, they tend to lead to bad form and improper blade placement when I see them; for example, the OP did a Zwerchau in his "flourish" but didn't slope step as he did it; had he had a partner he'd have seen the necessity for doing so. Someone without a partner would do much better to do pell work, but it's essential to practice with a partner since the bind is the key part of German swordsmanship, and without feeling the bind you can't possibly understand the technique. You say that learning to attack is important, and you're right, but that can't be learned in isolation from your opponent's response. Oh, students have to practice a cut in the air first to learn the mechanics, but they really need to cut into a bind to learn how to bind and how to act from the bind.

These are reminiscent of the "progressions" in Hutton's Old Sword Play (a source I'm surprised no one mentioned) and he clearly shows them as unrelated to combat; mere showpieces with entertainment rather than martial value. As he says, they're "extemely picturesque" and should be performed at a carefully-staged "Assault of Arms".

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Steven H

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig and Randall-

Thank you for elaborating on how you use the term flourysh. The analogy to shadowboxing makes it clear.

I think, however, that there is a critical difference between boxing and longsword. In boxing it is possible to withstand a large number of solid, well executed attacks. Few people will ever survive a second sword hit. As such the flouryshes should be kept short - you only need to hit once or twice. Perhaps only two to four tempo. Two to four tempi plays is also consistent with the bulk of instruction from the Medieval period. If after a few tempi you haven't hit it is time to withdraw (abzug).

Hence my preference for praciticing the plays as written instead of flouryshes.

Do you know of any modern combative systems that make use of a training tool like flouryshes?

Thanks,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Thank you for elaborating on how you use the term flourysh. The analogy to shadowboxing makes it clear.

I think, however, that there is a critical difference between boxing and longsword. In boxing it is possible to withstand a large number of solid, well executed attacks. Few people will ever survive a second sword hit. As such the flouryshes should be kept short - you only need to hit once or twice. Perhaps only two to four tempo. Two to four tempi plays is also consistent with the bulk of instruction from the Medieval period. If after a few tempi you haven't hit it is time to withdraw (abzug).

Hence my preference for praciticing the plays as written instead of flouryshes.

Do you know of any modern combative systems that make use of a training tool like flouryshes?

Steven

I agree about the difference between boxing and longsword, which is why the term "flourysh" was used instead of something like "shadow fighting". I also agree that swordfights/sparring matches are indeed very short. In his prize-play a few years ago ARMA Senior Free Scholar Matt Anderson fought his first 55 matches in 15 minutes. However, one could also face multiple adversarys coming from multiple directions, which does occur in our group sparring. That is why in our flouryshes we do not assume a single adversary coming from a single direction. I also agree about redrawing ofter two or three techniques (Fiore covers the topic of multiple adversaries.), this should be a feature of all fluryshes.

Thanks for the discussion. I've enjoyed it.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Steven H

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:

However, one could also face multiple adversarys coming from multiple directions, which does occur in our group sparring. That is why in our flouryshes we do not assume a single adversary coming from a single direction.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I haven't been doing this long enough to really think about group attacker situations. Combined with the dearth of multiple attacker scenarios in historical sources and it ends up as speculation (enjoyable speculation, though Big Grin ).

Thanks for explaining,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:
We don't use "flourishes" for several reaons: There's no German source documenting them and there's no evidence they were used in any Ernstfechten art (not that there's anything wrong with Schulfechten, quite the contrary, but I gather this fellow doesn't practice it, nor do we).

However, Dall'Agocchie shows what could be rightly called a flourish, not to mention the rest of the Bolognese.

Hugh Knight wrote:
These are reminiscent of the "progressions" in Hutton's Old Sword Play (a source I'm surprised no one mentioned) and he clearly shows them as unrelated to combat; mere showpieces with entertainment rather than martial value. As he says, they're "extemely picturesque" and should be performed at a carefully-staged "Assault of Arms".

In this I feel that Hutton has missed the point. Yes, the Bolognese do keep aesthetics in mind, but what he is talking about are not lacking in martial value. Marozzo's and Manciolino's assalti serve as training mechanisms, as does Marozzo's progression of guards.

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Van de Laak

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My first florysh.. be gentle..         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Van de Laak wrote:

Any comments are welcome! Thanks. (don't expect much, its quite lame, for I am a newbie)

Van,

When you're working on our suggestions, try working through them one at a time. If you try to do everything at once, it's going to be too much, and you'll probably end up feeling frustrated and overwhelmed. Work on one thing, and when you think you've got it, move on.

One thing that will help your flourysh, even when you're delivering it slowly, is to imagine that you are fighting an opponent. Each action needs to be delivered with the same focus and precision that you'd need for fighting in earnest. In the video, it looks like you're just moving through the various strikes and thrusts and "going through the motions". You'll find that as you start to practice your flouryshes in this manner, they'll feel less awkward too, because your strikes, thrusts, slices etc. will be delivered with purpose.

See here for more on what I'm talking about: http://www.thearma.org/essays/Intent.htm

Many thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep them in mind. No need to worry that I will be frustrated... haha... I got some experience with learning martial arts. (since 1988) the principles are the same. crawl, walk, run.
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: My first florysh.. be gentle..         Reply with quote

Van de Laak wrote:

Van

When you train in a more open areas be sure to take into consideration a full 360 degrees. Note how a left 180 degree turn of the body will turn a left Ochs into a right Vom Tag (and the reverse) or Alber with the right leg forward into a tail guard. When you transition from one guard to another always move your feet, even if it is just a slight lifting of one foot. At the beginning of the video your transition from left Ochs to right Ochs was very sloppy looking. Later in the video you made the transition from one Ochs to the other Ochs by making a thrust, which look much much better, but do make the thrust as you are transitioning. In the Ochs, or any other guard, don't turn so far sideways, stay facing your adversary. Turning too far sideways makes it easy for an adversary to get behind you with just one good step in the oposite direction.

I would also suggest that you go back and give Steven Reich's first post several good reads, it's full of good advice.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Steven Reich"]
Hugh Knight wrote:

In this I feel that Hutton has missed the point. Yes, the Bolognese do keep aesthetics in mind, but what he is talking about are not lacking in martial value. Marozzo's and Manciolino's assalti serve as training mechanisms, as does Marozzo's progression of guards.

Steve

Exactly, especially since the art is constructed as guard transitions defining blows, so the progressions encode into muscle memory precisely where you move in each action.

As to never doing anything twice...poor Bruce Lee gets so misquoted. We can say what we like about Bruce, but the truth is that these were conclusions he came to after having learned traditional forms - his JKD - whatever it may have been in the moment to him, was only capable of existing because of his base, which he then built on.

Free-form extrapolation is important, but so are technically proficient "set-pieces", be they solo or paired practice. That is how the medieval masters taught all of their techniques - be it short sequences of on or two actions -as found in Fiore and the 15th c Germans, or longer sequences, as found in the Bolognese, Mair, Meyer, the *historical* English "flouryshes" etc. Without these "set plays" the ability to extrapolate and play "loose", what the ARMA website calls a flourysh, is of limited value. You need both.

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com

Last edited by Greg Mele on Tue 15 Jan, 2008 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Van de Laak

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Bruce Lee... kung fu rant... :)         Reply with quote

"As to never doing anything twice...pure Bruce Lee gets so misquoted. We can say what we like about Bruce, but the truth is that these were conclusions he came to after having learned traditional forms - his JKD - whatever it may have been in the moment to him, was only capable of existing because of his base, which he then built on. "

So true. I agree.

--- what follows now is just a kung fu rant , if interesting read on Happy ---

I said in my earlier post that Bruce Lee moved away from fixed forms later on. Of course, by practising forms you form a solid basis, which you can build on. Certainly, one still has to continue practise forms. However putting too much time in it will create inflexibility. I do know some martial art schools who put only (or too much) emphasis on fixed forms, which imo creates incompetent students, for they will only know how to execute a form. But ask them to show one particular move, and you will see them go through the whole form (in their mind) till they "find" the move asked for. Because they only know the sequence/form as a whole. In order words, they don't know how to fight. They are dancers.

One only has to look at MMA fights (mixed martial arts), in which more practical orientated arts.(wrestling, jiu jitsu, thai boxing) will mostly win from FORM orientated martial artists. (for example kungfu, karate) Don't get me wrong, these last two arts used as an example, can have tough sparring training as well, but still. The reason is (in my opinion) that these guys often focus to much on forms and less on free fighting. However the most important reason that they often can't win is because they seldomly know wrestling/groundfighting techniques. Once on the ground = game over. They don't know what to do. Fighting when standing up, no problem... on the ground... like a fish on land.

I am a kung fu practitioner, and I love my style (white eyebrow) which is an no-nonsense style, but I still have to admit the above things.

Unfortunately the Chinese government standardized kungfu into completely impractical wushu. (kungfu/wushu is actually the same) but the term wushu is mostly used for the showy standardized form. Personally I believe that 99% of the so called Shaolin Monks are (mostly) fakes.

What's more, the "kung fu" (read wushu) they always show during demonstrations is often badly executed. (the guys from the official government wushu schools are much better) The real kung fu they will not show, for the masses will find it boring. (most effictive systems are boring to look at) But jumping, spinning, flipping is more interesting for the masses. Bah. These so called monks are often just students from a wushu school in monk robes, send around the globe to promote wushu and Chinese culture. Of course the temple supports this because they can use the money to renovate the temple and such. Nothing wrong with that.

At the time kung fu became popular due to the kung fu movies (especially the "Shaolin Temple" movie with Jet Li) and the TV series "Kung Fu", the temple only had a cook, and a handful of monks lett. (I guess due the cultural revolution)

For example according to Jet Li, when he arrived at the temple to film themovie "Shaolin Temple" in 1980:

"There were only three monks living at the temple. One was the abbot, one
the gatekeeper, and the last one was the caretaker/cook. As far as we
knew, none of them had any particular martial prowess and nobody in the
area practiced wushu."

and now we have hunderds of "monks" touring the globe, come on! A bit strange isn't it?

Alternative theory;

I support an interesting alternative story of the Shaolin temple. Most people know about the Shaolin temple that the monks learned kung fu as an exercise to improve their health, (introduced by Ta Mo) and to protect them from bandits etc. Shaolin monks created kung fu, and then kung fu was taught to others and spread.

However the theory I support is that the monks were originally.... just monks... praying and such, nothing else. Perhaps they did a few yoga like exercises. Roaming vagebonds who knew real kung fu, in order to survive those days, sought often refuge in the Shaolin temple. Bringing with them their fighting skills and knowledge. Which they passed on (for whatever reason) to the monks. Slowly the monks got very experienced in kungfu which they learned from these vagebonds, and then improved it and made their own variations. Historically it is documented that these monks really could fight, they even fought for the emperor. That's beyond doubt. But what's in doubt is the origine of their art.

This last theory make much more sense then the first one. Anyway, I find this interesting stuff... just wanted to share this stuff.... thanks for reading.
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks again...         Reply with quote

Van de Laak wrote:
Thanks! I actually do know him, but the point is that I have only very limited time available, mostly only on Sundays, and then its only free sparring. My plan is to practise solo first (which I like) and perhaps join later. However I should be nice if he has a student who lives near my area (Tseung Kwan O), perhaps we can practise a half hour or so during weekdays evenings, were I live there is a huge outside parking lot, which is seldomly used. So Lance if you are reading this... u got any students who might be interested?

There is a major component missing in this--drilling with a partner. Actually, I'd say two components: cooperative drilling and antagonistic drilling. The first teaches you the timing, distance, mechanics, etc. of each of the techniques; the second teaches you to recognize when to use each technique. These are absolutely essential and sparring without them is a ticket to disaster.

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Van de Laak

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Partner         Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment, I might get some more time available during weekdays, so I can join them so I will be able to have a training partner.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:

Craig,

We don't use "flourishes" for several reaons: There's no German source documenting them and there's no evidence they were used in any Ernstfechten art (not that there's anything wrong with Schulfechten, quite the contrary, but I gather this fellow doesn't practice it, nor do we). The only source I've seen for them in period is the English instructions someone already mentioned, and I have seen little evidence they're intended for Ernstfechten practice, and there they're precisely scripted, not free form as the OP and you suggest. Moreover, they tend to lead to bad form and improper blade placement when I see them; for example, the OP did a Zwerchau in his "flourish" but didn't slope step as he did it; had he had a partner he'd have seen the necessity for doing so. Someone without a partner would do much better to do pell work, but it's essential to practice with a partner since the bind is the key part of German swordsmanship, and without feeling the bind you can't possibly understand the technique. You say that learning to attack is important, and you're right, but that can't be learned in isolation from your opponent's response. Oh, students have to practice a cut in the air first to learn the mechanics, but they really need to cut into a bind to learn how to bind and how to act from the bind.

Hugh,

I'd ask that you reconsider. While German sources (to the best of my knowledge) do not reference them, there is value to be found in syncretic training in historic European martial arts. While you might strongly perfer the German traditions as I do, you will miss out if you ignore the insights from Italian and English and Spanish traditions. Another thing to consider is that even if flouryshes were not free form historically (and I'm not entirely certain this is the case) that doesn't mean that they cannot be practiced free form if one so chooses. And it would be silly to reject this form of practice on the grounds that "it wasn't practiced historically" since we will probably never know all the drills and practice methods of sword fighting in medieval and renaissance Europe, which means we could be rejecting something that was actually used. It certainly has training value.

The other thing is that flouryshes will lead to slopping actions and movements only if you allow them to happen. If you continue to practice your flouryshes and work on your movements and cut executions, then no such problems need to exist. And one of the principal values of flouryshes is that they help you practice making fluid and rapid movements which will be second nature when it comes to drills or sparring. Pell work is of value too, but it's only one part of the picture. The whole reason behind multiple methods of training is that each has weaknesses and strengths, and when combined together, the different forms supplement and compliment each other.

And I do agree that to become truly proficient in these arts, you must have a sparring partner. There's no doubt that fencing against an opponent who is working to overcome and thwart you is the best way to learn. But here again, flouryshes allow you to practice cutting exercises on your own, which means you can be more experimental with cuts, and ultimately it can help you to solidify a flexibility of responses that can be lacking in sparring alone. Furthermore, flouryshing allows for greater freedom of movement than working with a pell alone, and it allows you to more easily practice follow-through with your cuts than a pell does.

While binding is vital for historical fencing, it's also worth considering that it was not the only or even principal way of ending a fight. A lot of period literature indicates that outright strikes or thrusts, rather than actions completed from the bind, were the end of fights. Furthermore, while binding is an extremely useful tool, it can be more hazardous than the zufechten stage of fighting, due to the dangers of increasing proximity with one's foe. There's no shame in being able to dispatch an opponent with a well timed or executed cut/thrust in zufechten. All this indicates that while binding is important, it does not comprise the entirety of German fencing, and therefore practicing cuts, thrusts and other actions in a flourysh is of value.

In conclusion, flouryshes are one method of practicing with both advantages and disadvantages. But, referring back to my earlier post, the list of benfits from flouryshes make them an undeniably worth-while means of training. There is no one who, when making serious and continued efforts to improve on their flouryshes, does not see improvement in their fencing over the long run. The least you can do is try them out and spend some time with them before making a decision one way or another.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Besides, it's hard to argue that there's no value to flouryshes when you see one executed by an experienced martial artist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOus0HhEcY4&feature=related

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My first florysh.. be gentle..
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: