Introducing... The Knud
This is a very sweet sword - not as ornate as the Valkyrja, but still has a dramatic look to it.

[ Linked Image ]

More photos here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...g-knud.htm
and here:
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...photos.htm

Happy New Year to All!

Best,

Howy

PS: (I resisted the temptation of making the subject line "REAL KNUD PHOTOS INSIDE!!!" and used the traditional subject instead...)
I really like the utillitarian aspect of this piece.

Zak
Another great looking sword! The guys at Albion sure have been working doubletime lately with all the recent releases! Peter's concept drawings are great but there is nothing like the real thing! Keep 'em comin'!
Neat looking!

Out of curiosity does this share the same blade as the Norman/Senlac?

Its always great to see how a sword changes as it goes from drawing to final piece.
Love that Type AE. This one turned out great! (Though it looks a bit plain next to the Valkyrja. :p) Again, though viking swords aren't exactly my thing, I really wouldn't mind one of these.
Howard, don't get me wrong with this, but I prefer this one over the Valkyrja. Although the Valkyrja is a stunning the sword, and the time and effort that went into designing it are well apreciated, to me it's a bit to much. Looks great, but to ornate to take into battle. I know it sounds silly, but that's me.

But this......

This I'd take with me on a battlefield any day of the week!! It's much more utillitarian then the Valkyrja, much more a no-nonsense weapon. I love this Knud!!
Congratulations,

This is a truly beautiful sword. Can you tell me what "Knud" refers to or means?

Thank you,

Ken
Ken Speed wrote:
This is a truly beautiful sword. Can you tell me what "Knud" refers to or means?

Well! to make it easy.
Links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knud
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canute_the_Great
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
Howard, don't get me wrong with this, but I prefer this one over the Valkyrja. Although the Valkyrja is a stunning the sword, and the time and effort that went into designing it are well apreciated, to me it's a bit to much. Looks great, but to ornate to take into battle. I know it sounds silly, but that's me.

But this......

This I'd take with me on a battlefield any day of the week!! It's much more utillitarian then the Valkyrja, much more a no-nonsense weapon. I love this Knud!!

I'll second that! The Valkyrja is truly marvelous and no mistake, but I feel more at ease with these less lavish designs... I'm just more of a simple fighting man than king, at heart. :)
The Knud is a great looking sword. However, contrary to my esteemed fellow forumites Mikko and Thomas, I still prefer the stunning Valkyrja.
I yearn for the Valkyrja, but I'm more likely able to afford the Knud. Both are stunning.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Valkyrja is a stunning sword, the artistry and craftmanship that went into it superb.

But me, I'm a simple man. Stuff like that is a bit to fancy for me. That's why I prefer the Knud. A no-nonsenses weapon that's much more appealing to my tastes.
Simply awesome.

M.
Albion has taken what on paper seems to be a somewhat blasé, and executed it so well that in the flesh it is very striking.

I do wish the blade was a type X as on the Valkyrja, rather than what appears to be a type XII.
Gavin Kisebach wrote:

I do wish the blade was a type X as on the Valkyrja, rather than what appears to be a type XII.

I'm pretty sure it's a type Xa and as Mike suggested shares a blade with the Norman/Senlac. However, I agree; it was a design that didn't really appeal to me on paper, but is growing on me in the steel.
Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Albion has taken what on paper seems to be a somewhat blasé, and executed it so well that in the flesh it is very striking.

If you take a close look at the end of the Knud's blade, you'll see that the fuller extends quite far towards the point. While it doesn't extend all the way, which is often seen on the Type Xa, there are historical examples where the fuller terminates significantly before the point: http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotx11.jpg. You'll also note that the the overall profile taper is more consistent with a Type Xa than Type XII sword, the blade being a little shy on the width at the base that seems to be classic to the Type XII.
that`s a very solid looking sword, has a lot of presence. It seems a big longer than the average viking sword, definitely a weapon for a strong warrior.

Pierre
Re: Introducing... The Knud
Howard Waddell wrote:
PS: (I resisted the temptation of making the subject line "REAL KNUD PHOTOS INSIDE!!!" and used the traditional subject instead...)

:lol: . . . it's the Valkyrja's nekkid brother. . . :D

Very cool and impressive looking sword. I can see some custom smiths/DIYers doing some neat things with so much blank real estate. John Lundemo, John Gage, and maybe Jody if he's in a historical mood all come to mind.
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:

But this......

You know, I realise that some people find the plain look more appealing, which is all well and good. However, I've never understood how something can be considered "too ornate to take into battle." It's not like the decorations of the valkyrja makes it less effective. To me, a sword should be all it can be: a beautiful work of art and an practical weapon.

I'm not trying to critize your opinion, mind you. Just pointing out that this is a matter of aestetics, not one of practical application. One shouldn't confuse the two. :p

I will say that I prefer the Knud's more slender blade, however. Now, a Knud blade on a Valkyrja hilt, that would be made out of win! *drool*

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: