Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Charlemagne's Carolingian Raids Of Scandinavia To Convert Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud It's sounds like you have mix it up when you have read history,
Idea can it be something with Charles XII and his Caroliners (sp) (Karl 12:e and Karoliner) that you can have read.

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No it was "Definitely" Charlemagne and the Carolingians! There is no mix up. But now I am starting to question the source where I found this.

Sincerely,

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
No it was "Definitely" Charlemagne and the Carolingians! There is no mix up. But now I am starting to question the source where I found this.

Sincerely,

Bob

Bob, even if it's a complete error in misremembering a source or just an inaccurate source you can console yourself with the fact that even if the premise is wrong we still got a good discussion about the period. Wink Laughing Out Loud

No reason to not pursue the subject of the Carolingians and their attitude and wars against the pagans ?

Oh, by the way the pagans might not have a problem with including another God in their beliefs but the Christians of the time would have had a problem with newly " minted " Christians " holding on to their old beliefs as well.

So the pagans might have been tolerant of an additional belief but the Christians would have insisted on their belief being the only truth and been inclined to enforce it with blood, fire and steel !

In reaction the pagans may have stopped being SO tolerant Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Bob Burns wrote:

Sincerely,

Bob

Bob, even if it's a complete error in misremembering a source or just an inaccurate source you can console yourself with the fact that even if the premise is wrong we still got a good discussion about the period. Wink Laughing Out Loud

No reason to not pursue the subject of the Carolingians and their attitude and wars against the pagans ?

Oh, by the way the pagans might not have a problem with including another God in their beliefs but the Christians of the time would have had a problem with newly " minted " Christians " holding on to their old beliefs as well.

So the pagans might have been tolerant of an additional belief but the Christians would have insisted on their belief being the only truth and been inclined to enforce it with blood, fire and steel !

In reaction the pagans may have stopped being SO tolerant Razz Laughing Out Loud

Well, there where a great deal of pragmatism involved when the early church needed to keep the recently converted heathens in a good mood. There are details in early icelandic law surrounding this, where you where still allowed to eat horse-meat and cast away babies even if this was not allowed according to the present interpretations of the bible.

They way we in scandinavia (and much of the anglo-saxon cultural sphere) celebrate Christmas is full of old heathen elements. Yule where a bif deal, and to just replace it with a mass celebrating the birth of jesus just was not possible. So a lot of heathen customs where given a christian veneer so to speak :-)

Yes, there where also violent conflict in conjunction with the spread of chrisitanity. But as is often the case, there where more at stake than just religion. These conflicts where also power-struggles between influental families and religion became a part of that power-game, since it gave new instruments of control for the head of church, and also access to the resources of the continental church.

In Sweden at least (I guess the same for Denmark and Norway also) the pagan believs has lived on "under cover" in form of superstitions and folk-tales especially in rural areas. They still apply, even if we do not always think about it.

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean, it's not a matter of being defensive or anything like thatl. It is what I had read because I found it very surprising at the time. But now I am questioning the source where I read this. I have not returned to searching for this subject matter as of yet. Only a bit frustrated with myself that I did not make a note as to where I came across this idea.
Not at all a matter of being right or wrong, because this was a question of mine and wondering if anyone else had ever heard of this version of history.

I am glad I came up with a topic that was somewhat interesting though.

Bob
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

interesting topic but boy, there seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread!

I don't know first hand of any Frankish raids into Sweden, but there were a large number of incursions across the Danewirk at various times, along the border between Denmark and Germany, or at that time the Frankish Holy Roman Empire, which was subdivided after the death of Charlemagne into three regions for (essentially) Germany, Burgundy / Italy, and France. There was strife across the border between the Christian German kingdom and the Danes, both before and after the forcible (and very bloody) conversion of the pagan Saxons by Charlemagne.

It's worth keeping in mind that in the 8th / early 9th century, the Carolingian Empire was militarily strong, and aggressive. Would have been intimidating to the Pagan scandinavians beyond the fringe. Then they got weak, just as the new types of boats began to make sailing all over the Northern seas much easier and safer.

Anyway here are what facts I'm aware of.

The Danevirke was a huge system of border fortifications in Jutland (i.e. a huge wall like Hadrians wall or the Great Wall of China, if on a smaller scale) constructed (it is believed) by the Danes to keep the Germans out. The wall was allegedly upgraded specifically in fact the Franks, allegedly early in the 9th Century. Here is the wiki on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danevirke

The Carolingians aggresively pushed the early Danish 'kings' to nominally convert to Christianity starting as early as 826 AD. Harald Blutooth, the first actual King of Denmark in the medieval sense,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Bluetooth

..converted to Christianity in spite of the wishes of his Pagan father, apparently under heavy military pressure from HRE Otto I specifically including border raids. From the wiki:

Quote:
However the prominent part the Germans had in these achievements as well as the lofty idea of the Roman Empire then prevailing led Otto I, the Great, to require Harald to recognize him as "advocatus", or lord protector of the Danish church, and even as "Lord Paramount". The king of the Danes replied to this demand with a declaration of war, and the emperor sought to force his "vassal" into subjection. The devastating expeditions, which were pushed as far as the Limfjord, enabled the emperor to beat down all opposition (972), and to compel Harald not only to conclude peace but to accept baptism. Henceforth paganism steadily lost ground.

This series of raids is well documented and included the massacre of large numbers of pagan civilians by Christian armies. I suspect this is the actual source of the anecdote, but of course by this time the Viking raids had been going on quite a while. However it seems that there had been raiding from the German side into Jutland since the early days of the rise of the Franks and I think the original premise of the thread might have some merit to it.

Harald Bluetooth attempted to convert both Denmark and Norway to the religion, the latter leading to a bloody war with his own vassal jarl Hakon. He ended up at war with his own son Svine Forkbeard, who took the pagan side, and eventually old Harald was killed in battle fighting the 'heathens'.

EDIT: Another famous and closely related example of ethnic atrocities by Christians against Norse pagans was the St. Brices day massacre

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Brice's_Day_massacre[/url]

...which definitely did lead to reprisals, specifically to the invasion of England by the very same Svine Forkbeard because his sister was one of the victims.

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was reading up on Charlemagne because I remembered that he personally had some dealings with the Vikings, his reign spanned the time of the beginning of the Viking raids and I remembered that he had fortified all the coastal towns in France to resist Viking raids, which is what led them to go up the rivers and attack cities in the interior.

I found this on the wiki page for Charlemagne

Quote:
Danish attacks
After the conquest of Nordalbingia, the Frankish frontier was brought into contact with Scandinavia. The pagan Danes, "a race almost unknown to his ancestors, but destined to be only too well known to his sons" as Charles Oman described them, inhabiting the Jutland peninsula had heard many stories from Widukind and his allies who had taken refuge with them about the dangers of the Franks and the fury which their Christian king could direct against pagan neighbours.

In 808, the king of the Danes, Godfred, built the vast Danevirke across the isthmus of Schleswig. This defence, last employed in the Danish-Prussian War of 1864, was at its beginning a 30 km long earthenwork rampart. The Danevirke protected Danish land and gave Godfred the opportunity to harass Frisia and Flanders with pirate raids. He also subdued the Frank-allied Wiltzes and fought the Abotrites.

Godfred invaded Frisia and joked of visiting Aachen, but was murdered before he could do any more, either by a Frankish assassin or by one of his own men. Godfred was succeeded by his nephew Hemming and he concluded the Treaty of Heiligen with Charlemagne in late 811.

This claims the Danework was "built" (i.e. refurbished) as a direct reaction to Charlmenagne. I would guess it's not at all unlikely that this happenned as a result of some cross-border friction between the two peoples.

J

Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The north of the netherlands is (yes still is) the fort of the frysian people that are quite unigque in this in the whole of europ.
The Netherlands have ´always´ (for as far back as we can trace culture and peoples) been quite sharply devided in northern and southern. The romans never conquered the north nor did the franks.
The salian franks had their homeland roughly in the southern netherlands.
Although christian soures start their success story in the 9th dentury it seesm more likely that the réal conversion to christianity did not take place untill the 11th century.
The Frysians and their cousins the Danes were for a large part the ´vikings´ that raide the souther netherlands and belgium.

Quite interesting is the ´detail´ that old frankish is nowadays thought to be véry close to old dutch.
The word ´frank´ still has a meaning in modern dutch that was very likely used with intént by the earliest frankish warring bands and they became known under this banner as a people later.

peter
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Took a quick dive into my sources and the key event seems to be the killing of Bonifatius on 5 june 754 in Dokkum.

The event was described by Willibald who was a fervent christian. He writes about swift revenge by christian (frankisch) soldiers on the perpetrators and their kin, destroying al their posessions too. This is however doubtfull.
Unlike his predecessor Willibrord Bonefacius was not at all popular with the Franks. He was on rather bád foot with them in fact.
Also the franks had quite enough on their hands with the southern ´frysian´provinces they had ´conquered´ since the death of King Radbod in 719 and it would not have been in their interest to spearhead an armed force out to the northernmost tip.

Please note my wording of ´killing of Bonefacius´ which deliberately different from the christian version based on Willibald.
It seesm likely that the man was beaten to death becouse of his abrasive rudeness rather than murdered for his christening activities. Robbery seems to have been an important motive not religion.
In Friesland is is in fact a bit of ´question´what to do with this historical date. Some ´extremists´ have remarked it should be celebrated realy Wink

As for the ts I am véry interested in the source material. Without it I am inclined to think the ts may refer to either the ´(re)conquering´ of southern ´fysian´ land or the wishfull thinking of Willibald.

peter
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:
The north of the netherlands is (yes still is) the fort of the frysian people that are quite unigque in this in the whole of europ.
The Netherlands have ´always´ (for as far back as we can trace culture and peoples) been quite sharply devided in northern and southern. The romans never conquered the north nor did the franks.
The salian franks had their homeland roughly in the southern netherlands.
Although christian soures start their success story in the 9th dentury it seesm more likely that the réal conversion to christianity did not take place untill the 11th century.
The Frysians and their cousins the Danes were for a large part the ´vikings´ that raide the souther netherlands and belgium.

Quite interesting is the ´detail´ that old frankish is nowadays thought to be véry close to old dutch.
The word ´frank´ still has a meaning in modern dutch that was very likely used with intént by the earliest frankish warring bands and they became known under this banner as a people later.

peter

Yeah

Charlemagne is supposed to have even made a special law guaranteeing Frisian freedom.

"That all Frisians would be fully free, the born and the unborn, so long as the wind blows from heaven and the child cries, grass grows green and flowers bloom, as far as the sun rises and the world stands".

... and they seem to have retained a large degree of independence there for a long time. The tradition of "Viking" there seems to have continued on in other forms well after conversion, Pirates like the Victual Brothers and the Likedealers, and old hard drinkin Störtebeker, as well as more bandits / rebels like Grote Pier,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victual_Brothers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia

J

Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A friend of mine who is from Friesland can actually speak -though clumsily- with modern danes. Also, if you look at the german province Ostfriesen, the line continues upwards to denmark

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Charlemagne's Carolingian Raids Of Scandinavia To Convert
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: