Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

With all due respect, this idea that the "first flower" laws were somehow less despicable or oppressive because of the attitudes toward sex within the historical context, and / or becuase it was some sort of male supremacy thing or done to protect the foreign baron from his subjects... all of that is patently absurd.

People certainly thought different in those days, but not that different especially about that particlar subject. The sanctity of a husbands bond to his wife is universal. Some cultures like inuit might share sex with their wife, but either the woman or more often the husband always decides freely of their own accord who she sleeps with even under those unusual circumstances. I don't think you can find a culture anywhere in the world which advocates the forcible, mandatory sex of one mans wife with another man.

While it is true that peasants in many areas of Europe remained substantially or completely pagan until well into the Renaissance, and they had different attitudes toward sex (ala Beltane, et al) pagans respected the idea that a woman had ultimate say over who she slept with.

Pagan Viking law, for example, mandated the death penalty for anyone who raped a free-born woman (that is to say, anyone other than a captive or a slave: even a very poor peasant would be considered a free woman) while murder by comparison was only punishable by wereguild (fine)

Additionally, while the peasants may have been pagan, the barons and counts who ruled over them were generally Christian. IN that baronets own mind, he was committing a 'sin' by the first flower.

Finally, if they didn't think this was such a big deal, why was it cited in so many of the violent and occasionally successful peasant uprisings which took place throughout the Medieval and Renaissance periods? Why was it cited by enemies of the establishement such as during he Protestant Reformation?

They knew what this meant, it was first and foremost a system of humiliation and repression. I am not trying to sound hyperbolic, times were tough back then and thats the way it was, but that doesn't mean people were happy about it. It was very much a period of class war, the Wat Tylor rebellion, the Jacquerie, the Hussite Rebellion, the German Peasant wars of the early reformation, the Swiss wars against the Hapsburgs, the many wars of independence by the various German and Italian cities, and etc and etc., were all flareups of an ugly, deep rooted hatred between the classes. That is just a fact.

Jeanry Chandler
Hi Jeanry ;)

What can I say?

Quote:
With all due respect, this idea that the "first flower" laws were somehow less despicable or oppressive because of the attitudes toward sex within the historical context, and / or becuase it was some sort of male supremacy thing or done to protect the foreign baron from his subjects... all of that is patently absurd.

People certainly thought different in those days, but not that different especially about that particlar subject. The sanctity of a husbands bond to his wife is universal.

I am in complete agreement with you here-- while other posters have done well to try to consider the worldviews of the people of the times, I think there are some "universals" that transcend culture. This would be one of them-- as far as I understand this was never a popular law. I would think it bore a much closer relationship to the custom of displaying dominance over one's defeated enemies by raping their women. Even in the ancient world where this was done by most peoples it was always considered a bad thing (at least when it happened to your side). In the same manner a Norman conqueror who enacted jus primae noctis was displaying his utter power over his new peasantry. Whatever else it was (immoral) it was humiliating for both the women involved and (most importantly for the conqueror) the men.

You go on to say:
Quote:
While it is true that peasants in many areas of Europe remained substantially or completely pagan until well into the Renaissance...

Again, as per the other thread,

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1030&start=22

I can only ask you what your sources are. As politely as I am able, in using this term, I think that the ascribing of any genuine paganism to your average pre-renaissance European (peasant or otherwise) is tosh. A gamut of fantasy/pseudo-historical novels may paint a pretty convincing picture of a glorious Old Religion that not only survived but dominated the beliefs of common people throughout the Middle Ages, but this picture does not accord with reality.

Certainly many superstitions lived on after the coming of Christianity, some inspite of the Church (luck charms, flirtation with magic and astrology, leaving milk out for the Faeries), some absorbed into the Church (holy wells, certain feast days, the building of churches on pagan sites, British Christians depositing treasures into lakes as an act of Christian worship in the same way that their ancestors had previously made offerings to the gods, and so on). This is different than paganism. Those who used astrology and magic did so knowing that they were moving outside the pale of orthodoxy-- it wasn't a matter of the worshipers of Lugh, the Dagda, Thor, or Aphrodite carrying on as normal while the nobility worshiped the "Christian God". King, duke, baron, knight, merchant, peasant-- all would have considered themselves Christian (or at least apostate).

Sorry to argue this again-- it stems from the "while it is true that... peasants remained substantially or completely pagan until well into the renaissance" statement. If you make a statement like that, taking the truth of near universal paganism among the masses well into the renaissance, (which most scholars would strongly dispute) you had better have some well respected sources.

David
David McElrea wrote:
Hi Jeanry ;)

I can only ask you what your sources are. As politely as I am able, in using this term, I think that the ascribing of any genuine paganism to your average pre-renaissance European (peasant or otherwise) is tosh.

David, I apprecaite your position on this, and I very much appreciate your more than polite tone (a refreshing change from some Usenet discussion I've been in lately!)

I am sorry that I missed your comments on the other thread, or I would have responded sooner.

Now that I have read your responses, I would like to make a couple of points to start with.

Like a lot of historical analysis dealing with religion, particularly Christianity in Europe, this is a very contraversial issue, due partially to the religious feelings which come into play, and to the general sense of historical "loyalty" people have to one side or another, which often boils down to a political orientation. I like to think I am unbiased in these ways, but I cannot be certain that bias has crept in because I do also have my own way of looking at the world.

I will say this, my sources are not from fantasy novels, nor are they spurious or casual. I will take a moment to gather a reasonable argument together so that you can understand where I am coming from, but I do not want to start a huge debate about the history of Christianity in Europe. A lot of the facts which relate to this issue will, again, be 'contraversial', in the sense that Christians especially may have different interpretations about such matters as the Witch trials, the Inquisition, and etc. I will try to explain my position in as non-inflammatory manner as possible, but the facts themselves are unpleasant and frankly, unpopular. Just like the details of Roman conquest, or the behavior of European troops during the Crusades, people still react very emotionally to some of this stuff, some folks see any description of questionable behavior by people they consider to be their ancestors as a personal attack agiainst themselves, and they react accordingly with more heat than light.

So again, while you have reacted with light and no heat, I don't want to get into an immense debate about these general issues. I will present my point, as succinctly as I can (still probably tediously long) and that way you can at least have some idea where I am coming from. No doubt, some points I raise will have different possible interpretations, depending on ones overall view of History. A lot of this stuff is hard to know for certain unless we have a time machine so these debates may go on forever (something I don't want to do!) I just want you to know where I'm coming from so that you can say, Jeanry Chandler is an idiot with some wacky interpretations of history, rather than Jeanry Chandler is a jerk who makes stuff up out of thin air! Ultimately, I do not expect to convert you to my opinion, (although I myself believe it) I just want you to be able to have some understanding of my position.

One final thing I want to own up to, is I made at least one major mistake by giving the impression that "substantially all of the peasants" were pagan. I would say, probably a majority of them were basically pagan , but by no means all. One of the most imporant things I have learned in my research into the life of European peasants and city dwellers, is that contrary to what I was taught in my history books, circumstances were very different from region to region, there was no one peasant lifestyle in Europe. There were a few general similarities, but a 13th century Sweedish farmer had a very different lifestyle from an 11th century Polish serf, or a 14th century Catalan artisan.

Anyway, give me a day or two and I'll have it posted, either here or on the other thread. I'll post cross-links either way.

Thanks again for your extremely polite and thoughtful response, for what is no doubt an issue you feel strongly about, as I do.

DB
When discussing heathen-worshippers in his History of the Nordic Peoples from 1555, the Swedish exiled arch-bishop Olaus Magnus wrote that:

Quote:
But although this supersticious worship now seem to be completely exterminated, through the cause of evil spirits remnants of that still live in hidden-away dwellings in wild Nordic countrysides, such as Norway and Värmland [a landscape in Sweden].

-3rd book, 1st chapter, page 131.

[my translation]
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Quote:
When discussing heathen-worshippers in his History of the Nordic Peoples from 1555, the Swedish exiled arch-bishop Olaus Magnus wrote that:

Quote:
But although this supersticious worship now seem to be completely exterminated, through the cause of evil spirits remnants of that still live in hidden-away dwellings in wild Nordic countrysides, such as Norway and Värmland [a landscape in Sweden].

[my translation]

LOL-- I'll look forward to reading that to my wife in the morning-- she's from just outside of Bergen (in Norway for those unfamiliar with that city).

I'll begin with a musing on a possible interpretation of the arch-bishop's comments and then take a step or two back to look at the alternative interpretation.

I find that quote interesting, but not conclusive as to the existence of "true" paganism. It wasn't that long ago that Norwegian shepherdesses were considered to be in danger from incubus-like faeries who would lure them to a watery grave in loca waterfalls. Young men were in danger of being seduced by "huldra" maids who would love them to death (quite literally). "Nisse" (like brownies) were believed to help around the farmstead-- some Norwegian families still put an obligatory bowl of porridge in the barn for the Nisse on Christmas Eve. The midsummer fires, now lit in celebration of St John, have pagan origins. Charms and protective spells would have been uttered-- again, all by people who considered themselves Christian. Doing or believing any of the above (with the exception of the bonfires, probably) could have occasioned someone being called "heathenish" by a cosmopolitan churchman. Even the giving of porridge to nisse-men could be seen to smack of sacrifices given to appease household gods.

Alternatively, it is possible that in some remote places of Norway pagan practices continued (many of the Sami or "Lapps" are still essentially animistic) well into the 1500's. But these are remote areas, not representing the majority of Norwegians at the time by any means.

My argument isn't that no pagan practices survived (in the other thread I noted that Lithuania and Prussia, for example retained their pagan beliefs far into the Middle Ages-- but they are the "exception that proves the rule"); my argument is that, broadly speaking, one cannot speak of Europeans, peasants or otherwise, as still being pagan in the Middle Ages. By 1000 most of Europe (from the British Isles to Constantinope) would have been Christian. In 1016 King Olav made Norway a Christian country (although this would have taken some time to become a reality in the lives of the people)-- and I believe Sweden was already Christian at the time? Apart from the aforementioned two countries (meaning Prussia and Lithuania), and the Slavs in the far east, Europe was united in its faith.

Thanks for that quote though-- I will have fun with it tomorrow :)

Cheers,

David
Hi Jeanry,

Thanks for your response-- I look forward to hearing from you soon. Just to be square, I didn't think you necessarily pulled things from the air... the statements did concern me insofar as they seemed to echo (no doubt coincidentally) ideas fielded by all too many sensationalist books these days.

My feelings in this are not so much based in any sense of pride in my ancestors' beliefs-- all of them were pagan and at some point they all became (nominally, at least) Christian. If the "conversion" happened in 450 AD or 1400 AD, that's that. Any strength of feeling comes from my reaction to postmodernity's proclivity to revise history to sate a hunger for magic and mystery at the expense of truth. One needs only look at what passes for the "History" section of most bookstores these days to see what I mean. Now, I realise that is not where you are coming from necessarily-- this is just my general concern. History has always had (and always will have) a degree of bias, but the truth is generally less hidden than many seem to think, these days. I'll leave off there for now... probably most don't tune in to this forum to ponder the merits and demerits of postmodern thought :)

Take Care,

David

Last edited by David McElrea on Wed 31 Mar, 2004 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
David McElrea wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

[my translation]

LOL-- I'll look forward to reading that to my wife in the morning-- she's from just outside of Bergen (in Norway for those unfamiliar with that city).

I'll begin with a musing on a possible interpretation of the arch-bishop's comments and then take a step or two back to look at the alternative interpretation.

I find that quote interesting, but not conclusive as to the existence of "true" paganism. It wasn't that long ago that Norwegian shepherdesses were considered to be in danger from incubus-like faeries who would lure them to a watery grave in loca waterfalls. Young men were in danger of being seduced by "huldra" maids who would love them to death (quite literally). "Nisse" (like brownies) were believed to help around the farmstead-- some Norwegian families still put an obligatory bowl of porridge in the barn for the Nisse on Christmas Eve. The midsummer fires, now lit in celebration of St John, have pagan origins. Charms and protective spells would have been uttered-- again, all by people who considered themselves Christian. Doing or believing any of the above (with the exception of the bonfires, probably) could have occasioned someone being called "heathenish" by a cosmopolitan churchman. Even the giving of porridge to nisse-men could be seen to smack of sacrifices given to appease household gods.

Alternatively, it is possible that in some remote places of Norway pagan practices continued (many of the Sami or "Lapps" are still essentially animistic) well into the 1500's. But these are remote areas, not representing the majority of Norwegians at the time by any means.

My argument isn't that no pagan practices survived (in the other thread I noted that Lithuania and Prussia, for example retained their pagan beliefs far into the Middle Ages-- but they are the "exception that proves the rule"); my argument is that, broadly speaking, one cannot speak of Europeans, peasants or otherwise, as still being pagan in the Middle Ages. By 1000 most of Europe (from the British Isles to Constantinope) would have been Christian. In 1016 King Olav made Norway a Christian country (although this would have taken some time to become a reality in the lives of the people)-- and I believe Sweden was already Christian at the time? Apart from the aforementioned two countries (meaning Prussia and Lithuania), and the Slavs in the far east, Europe was united in its faith.

Thanks for that quote though-- I will have fun with it tomorrow :)

Cheers,

David

LOL. Well, one does have to keep in mind the tentative nature of Olaus Magnus' claim. He was after all, an exiled arch-bishop, and could have made such a claim with some alterior motive. But, on the other hand, I've seen similar satements (that the worship of our old Norse gods) continued in far off country-sides well into the 1500's. Although, if I remember correctly, this information was not quoting any historical sources per say, and was delivered via a site that's maintained for the benefit of present-day worshipers of our old religion. :) The claim was somewhere along the lines of "although people attended Mass in church on sundays, they still went home and sacrficed to the old heathen gods to ensure their crops wouldn't fail." On a strictly personal level I don't have any doubt that such a pratice lived on for quite some time. Old habits die hard after all. But I agree with you that this probably wouldn't have been the norm in any way.

Quote:
In 1016 King Olav made Norway a Christian country (although this would have taken some time to become a reality in the lives of the people)-- and I believe Sweden was already Christian at the time?

Actually the Swedes were the most tenacious and stubborn on the Nordic populations in their resistance against Christianity. It wasn't until 1164 that we had an arch-bishop presiding in Uppsala, the old high seat of Odin and Frej. This date is somewhat tentative though, since Olaus Magnus claims that:

Quote:
But since the two radiant lights, the esteemed saints king Erik of Sweden and arch-bishop Henrik of Uppsala around the year of mercy 1155 through the sermon of the word of God and -when their peace-offerings were rejected- through their victorious arms subjugated Finland to the Christian faith and the kindom of Sweden, built churches and appointed priests, the people were transformed and began to above all others trust in all manners of virtues, in particular generousity and hospitality, which they in the most benevolent ways praticed towards arriving strangers. In relations among themselves they are friendly, meek and late to anger; but if one teases them for a long time, their revenge will become so much worse, the longer it has been postponed.

-4th book, 18th chapter, page 202.

[my translation]

This gives us a rough estimated date for Swedens turning to Christian values sometime in the middle of the 12th Century. They certainly didn't waste no time in making sure that their neighbors became christians though. :p

(King Erik, also known as Erik Jedvardsson or Erik the Holy, reigned as king between roughly 1156-1160. He was beheaded by a Danish contender to the Swedish throne in 1160 supposedly when leaving Mass. According to legend a well-spring sprung up on the spot where his head landed, and still to this day, on St. Erik's Square in Uppsala, there stands a water pump over that alleged well. He was (inofficially I believe) declared a saint in 1198. What left of his remains, parts of his skeleton, his skull and a neck vertebrae -damaged by a swordcut- are kept in a reliquary in the Uppsala Cathedral, which towers over St. Erik's Square. Since medieval times he's been regarded as Sweden's national saint and high protector of a lot of churches.)

Hmm... I wonder to what extent we've high-jacked this thread now. :p

Cheers,
Hey Joachim,

I suppose this doesn't (in the strictest sense) have much to do with commoners and swords except that some of the people we are talking about were commoners, quite a few of whom probably had swords :lol:

You wrote:
Quote:
Actually the Swedes were the most tenacious and stubborn on the Nordic populations in their resistance against Christianity. It wasn't until 1164 that we had an arch-bishop presiding in Uppsala, the old high seat of Odin and Frej. This date is somewhat tentative though, since Olaus Magnus claims that:

Quote:
But since the two radiant lights, the esteemed saints king Erik of Sweden and arch-bishop Henrik of Uppsala around the year of mercy 1155 through the sermon of the word of God and -when their peace-offerings were rejected- through their victorious arms subjugated Finland to the Christian faith and the kindom of Sweden, built churches and appointed priests, the people were transformed and began to above all others trust in all manners of virtues, in particular generousity and hospitality, which they in the most benevolent ways praticed towards arriving strangers. In relations among themselves they are friendly, meek and late to anger; but if one teases them for a long time, their revenge will become so much worse, the longer it has been postponed.

-4th book, 18th chapter, page 202.

Thanks for that-- my knowledge is a bit more limited on the Swedish front.

Quote:
They certainly didn't waste no time in making sure that their neighbors became christians though. :p

The Vikings did all things with great enthusiasm :p

Quote:
I've seen similar satements (that the worship of our old Norse gods) continued in far off country-sides well into the 1500's. Although, if I remember correctly, this information was not quoting any historical sources per say, and was delivered via a site that's maintained for the benefit of present-day worshipers of our old religion. :)

Yes... well... I really want to comment on that, but perhaps we don't need to walk through any mine fields today. :)

David
Peasants and swords
All this talk about nobles and first night privieges! Hey, Ive seen "The War Lord" too. And truthfully, if you had to choose, who wouldn't pick Chuck Heston over Jimmy Farentino? Back to peasants and swords, who do you think gleaned the gleanings on battlefields after the armies fought on their fields? Just a thought...
David McElrea wrote:
Hi Jeanry,
Thanks for your response-- I look forward to hearing from you soon.

David, (and anyone else interested in this), sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I've been quite busy, first with the aftermath of a fencing conference and then with supporting a game industry book I wrote, all the while trying to finish my contribution to a second. I may not ultimately contribute much to the field of literature, but I have certainly gained an insight into the great deal of effort which goes into writing, and now feel sympathy for even the rudest of hacks out there who go through this process...

At any rate, I will now make an attempt to defend my position about the persistence of paganism in Europe. I don't want to get in a huge debate about this, and I do not have time to pour through my library verifying dates and quotes, so i'll have to keep my discussion here fairly general. I suspect in the long run we may have to agree to disagree on many points. If I am wrong on some specific points, feel free to point that out. I do not claim a comprehensive knowledge of all History, this is only the conclusion I have come to from my own humble readings. Also, please forgive my clumsy writing, bad spelling and punctuation. I know it is unforgivable and can only ask your patience, for I am pressed for time and do not have the luxury of preparing a more elegant essay.

==============================

On the persistence of 'paganism' in Christian Europe, how I became convinced of it

I was first exposed to this idea as a teenager when reading Jules Michelet, a 19th century French Historian with socialist leanings. I am well aware that Michelet was and is controversial, that he is both dated in some aspects of his writing and that he used some dubious source material for others. However, the basic point that he raised in his analysis of the Inquisition and the Witch trials still has resonance: the idea that that the common people considered the church (both protestant and catholic) to be their enemy, and with good reason, for the church also considered the common people an enemy. Michelet also pointed out the interesting etymological facts that the words 'heathen' and 'pagan' both originally meant peasant.. I did not accept his theory initially, I actually found it rather shocking, but I kept it under consideration.

Over the next 20 years, having an obsession for those old table top wargames (ala Avalon Hill and SPI) I have read a rather vast amount of military history, including many first hand accounts and primary sources, as well as the best available secondary analysis. As a result my primary source material for my understanding of history overall is military history, and I think it is a good one for the simple fact that military history tends to concentrate on technical details and the 'real' stuff going on 'in the background' is agnowleged truthfully, IMO, more often than in 'normal' history which tends to be more biased. I could be wrong about this of course, but it just seems to bear out to me.

It was from military history at any rate that the more staggering evidence of the seemingly endless, vicious class -war which had taken place in Europe came to light. I was fascinated to note that some of the most effective military powers in Europe were republics and confederations run by commoners, and that they often rivaled and frequently defeated the greatest monarchies of Europe. The fearless, hard-hitting infantry columns of the Helvetic league / Swiss Confederacy; the daring wagon laagers of the Hussites of Bohemia, and the formidable Navy of the Republic of Venice are but three prominent examples of this. To me, it seemed like a whole hidden history of Europe, a second Europe, was there all along, a Europe I was never taught anything about in School or even at University.

Almost everyone has heard of the major battles between the great autocratic monarchies of Europe... it is perhaps because the English have written so much military history that we all know of the various English victories in the 100 years war, and the prowess of their vaunted longbow archers, which supposedly brought about the demise of the knight, just as we know all about their defeat of the Spanish Armada. But who knew that the greatest army in Europe meanwhile was a confederation of burghers and peasants from Switzerland? This is hard to refute.

It was reading the likes of Hans Delbruk that I was again struck by how this war between commoners and aristocrats took place on a smaller scale as well, more or less continuously, in little wars between wannabe landlords and resentful tenants, sometimes on the scale of large cities or even whole districts. And here it struck me that the participants in these battles often consisted of the Church, in the form of local Bishops and / or Abbots, as the chief allies and often sole representatives of the Aristocratic faction, versus the common people on the other. I began to notice more and more the prevalence of the cosy relationship between aristocracy and clergy, the systematic abuse of pious rhetoric and religious sanctimony of the latter to cover up the crimes of the former...

I read further of battles, of the character of both sides. I read many testimonials and first hand accounts, I began to study the habits and day to day life of Landsknecht, Swiss Rieslauffer, Scotch - Irish Gallowglass, Genoese Crossbowmen, Welsh Longbowmen... Schiavoni cavalry, and their allies, Venetian sailors... in fact soldiery all over Europe. All this Gradually began to convince me that the commoners in many areas especially during the nightmarish wars of the frequently apocalyptic Medieval and early Renaissance periods, seemed to have a more than cynical view of the Church. In fact it soon became obvious to me that it wasn't just us modern readers who in hindsight could recognize the self-serving nature of the Church in those times, the peasants themselves recognized it, all too vividly (as did many reformers within the clergy.)

Finally, some specific readings, mostly by very sober authors, on the details of the Inquisition, and particularly, the Witch trials, convinced me that Michelet was right about something... there definitely seemed to be a palpable animosity between the peasantry (and urban lower classes) and the church, and this was reflected by the persistence of the direct conflict between the two, as well as in period propaganda and literature.

This continues to be reinforced each time I pick up a new history book. Two of the most interesting books I recently read were John J. Robinsons "Born in Blood", and "Dungeon Fire and Sword", both dealing with the history of the Templar order, and both being sober accounts well grounded in solid military history and meticulously researched, not the kind of New Age pablum which David seems to be worried about, though some people might disagree (anything dealing with the templars has a taint of the lunatic fringe!). These books, among other things, detail the early appearance of anti-christian / Masonic -type practices among such events as the Wat Tylor Rebellion in England.

Anyway, thats enough of where I'm coming from. Here is the basic theory:

1) The conversion of the people often took place in a top-down manner which started with the aristocracy and gradually filtered down to the populace.

Christianity seems to have spread two ways historically. The first way is the wandering prophets. These are fairly subversive ,as they appeal usually to repressed sections of society by proposing a (usually apocalyptic) change in the social order in the here and now. These were effective in gaining converts, as in Ireland or early Rome, or among the Goths, but there was the ever present danger that subversive ideas of revolution and freethinking could taint the religion and threaten the immortal souls of the converts. It was for this reason that the Gnostics and Arian heretics were purged.

The second, and by for the most common, popular and successful method for Christianity to spread, started with the conversion of the Emperor Constantine. This murderer who killed members of his own family, supervised the formation and printing of the New testament, and was the first of a long line of cynically pragmatic monarchs to use Christianity as a tool of realpolitik to subvert and pacify his enemies, subdue dissent within his own borders, and motivate the troops to greater fanaticism.

This is how Christianity really spread through Europe, and the world. This was the lesson of Constantine, of charlemagne.. this is what lead to the rise of the the power of the Roman Papacy. This is how the ferocious Normans were tamed and brought into the fold of Christiandom, and how the sprit of the Vikings was infected and broken. This was the key policy of all colonial enterprises starting with Cortez and continuing through the early 20th century at least.

The key factor of this is how the king of a rival nation is forced by the threat of military power, directly or indirectly through political expediency, to convert. Thanks to the wise abandonment of circumcision as a prerequisite for entry into the church, this is a fairly painless process for the monarch, chiefly involving getting wet, and eating a cracker. At that point , in the history books, we are lead to believe that the populace under his yoke instantly converted over to the new religion. In some later, better documented examples of this process however, we can see that it was not a smooth process and indeed, did not happen overnight. A classic example is that of Scandinavia. There, Christianity was closely linked to the rise of Monarchy, and bitterly contested, being recognized as an alien and destructive force by a large swath of the population, many of whom ultimately fled to places like Iceland specifically to escape it.

This is reflected in the Icelandic sagas. In fact In egil's saga, for example the writer clearly associates the new Monarchy which was eroding the old federated libertarian tribalism of the traditional Norse society, with Christianity. Egil himself is considered an anti-Monarch and an anti-Christian.

The point of this is that, the high aristocracy were converted first, and the rest of society did necessarily cotton to it right away, sometimes adopting it later... sometimes much, much later IMO.

2) The common people were alienated from the church, and the church had little interest in them for a long time.

We know that until the reformation, Church services were often conducted in Latin, and / or in the alien tongue of foreign aristocrats. We know that generally speaking, only the well-born were allowed to join the church hierarchy as priests or monks. (only males could be priests, of course) It is common knowledge that many rural districts of europe, parishes were neglected. This is mentioned by people in and out of the Church, and later by protestant critics. Many had no priest at all, and many priests who were available were illiterate, substandard, underpaid and often corrupt. Forcing people to pay exhorbatant fee's for things like funerals, for example.

So consider the lackadaisical and often counterproductive theological support in many rural districts, in the light of the top down conversion, per above.

3) The commoners generally considered the Church their class enemies

As I mentioned There was frequently open warfare between the church and the peasantry. Every major peasant rebellion I have read about through the Renaissance involved the burning and desecration of churches, abbeys, monasteries, and / or convents. As I mentioned before, the chief opponents of peasants seeking to better their lot were often the Bishops or local Abbots (who incidentally, shared the same right of 'first flower' as other landlords) I cite one example, from the German Peasant uprising which took place at the time of the very early protestant reformation (and later condemned by Luther).

Here is a list of participants of the Swabian League which was the principle enemy of that uprising, as quoted from the "Urkunden zur Geschichte des Schwasbichen Bundes" aka 'Documents of the Swabian League'):

archbishop of Mainz
ElectorPalatine
Bishop of Wurzburg
Bishop of Eichstadt
Bishop of Augsburg
Bishop of Constance
Duke of Bavaria
Margrave of Ansbach-Kulmback
Landgrave of Hessen
Douchy of Wurttenburg
Cities of Nuremburg and Windsheim

It should be noted that the Protestents (with the exception of a few radical factions) were generally speaking no greater ally to the Peasants than the Catholic Church.

4) Acceptance of the church undermined by scandal and catastrophe

As the church did gain ground and converts in the community, this was constantly undermined by unendurable scandals and upheavals within the church itself, (and even natural catastrophes such as the bubonic plague) including but not limited to, the cross-excommunications of the papal schisms and various anti-popes, the wretchedly cynical and brutally evil Albigensian crusades and those in the Baltic, the sack of Constantinople and the ultimate failure of the Crusades in the holy lands, the excommunication and burning of the Templars, the excesses of the Inquisition and later the Witch Trials, and the wretched excesses of the religious wars of the 15th and 16th centuries

5) Evidence of surface allegiance to xtianity with deeper convictions to real beliefs

The Albegensian heresy was essentially, IMHO, pagan practice with a Christian patina. Under the convoluted reasoning of the doctrine, one was allowed to enjoy life and do things like bathe, dance, sing etc., without guilt or fear, and then when one got older, could embrace religious acetism fully in preparation for death.

Also, consider the persistence of the New Christians of Spain, some of whom secretly continued their Muslim or (much more frequently) Jewish religious practices in some cases for several generations, and at great risks to themselves. Of course, many were falsely accused of this in the inquisition for cynical reasons, but some obviously were continuing the practice of their true religion in secret, and I think the same is true during the Witch trials. Not all of the tens of thousands of accused were innocent of conducting non-christian religious practices.

6) evidence of common day to day practices which were anathema to christianity persisting well into the renaissance

Just one example among many is the persistence of the communal, unisex public bath, a common pagan practice going back at least to Roman days (probably pre-roman). When I lived in France and Germany I noticed that a HUGE proportion of the small towns are founded on springs, many of them hot or warm springs. Many of these I found out were the sites of baths. Look at a good map of Germany and notice the number of times the word "baden" appears as part of the name of a town or village.

It was recently when researching Fechtbuchs, that I found out that public baths were linked to fencing schools and gynmnasiums and considered scandalous and heathanistic by religious authorities. There are woodcuts in fechtbuchs depicting males and females cavorting together in these baths and saunas. Further reading indicated that such public baths existed in most medieval cities and towns. This was stamped out fairly late during the Witch craze, which IMHO, was an attempt to put an end to the persistent pagan religion among the commoners.

7) persistence of pagan practices up until modern times

David himself has cited many of these, everything from may day to sam-hain to well spirits and milk left out for faeries. These are all holdovers that we know of from the 19th century at the earliest. Quite a lot of them really if you think about it, and this is after sixteen hundred years of Christianity consolidating power in Europe. If there are this many persisting today, how many were there in the 18th century? How many in the 17th? How many in the 16th?

Think about the persistence of midwives. All through the witch-burnings. They still existed in the 19th century (and still do today)

conclusion

Someone else in this thread said that Haiti was at some point or another both 90% catholic 100% voodoo. I would say this was similar to the case in Europe. Lip service was paid to Christianity, but I believe many, perhaps most people in the middle to bottom layers of society did not actually see JeHoVaH or HIS minions as their allies, if they believed in them at all.

For the record, I do not deny some bias. I do not buy the "New Age" stuff, nor am I impressed with most of the modern efforts to revive paganism, (which are often childish and absurd) but while I certainly respect intelligent Christians, suffice it to say that I am not a Christian myself, or a member of any other major world religion.

JR

Nous sommes hommes comme ils sont
Tout aussi grand cour nous avons!
Tout autant souffrir nous pouvons!

A peasant chant recited at Sabbaths and during the Jacquerie...

Last edited by Jeanry Chandler on Tue 20 Apr, 2004 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeanry nothing in your posts is evidecerary of peasants not being Christian in spite of how they felt about the church or continuing pagan practices. I am also surprised that you left out the canonization of pagan deities. The two major flaws in your argument are that Christianity and paganism are incompatible( whether they are or not is of course a dogmatic argument but the relevant fact is that many practice both while considering themselves Christians, as I believe, did the majority of both European peasants and nobility). By this reasoning all Catholics might be called pagan. Secondly you ignore the active participation of the peasantry in these witch hunts. Incidently I agree that Constantine and the Council of Nicea were cataclysmic to christian thought but your characterization of Egil and Egil's saga strike me as fictitious(though it has been quite a few years since I read it).
Back to commoners and swords.

The essential thing when it comes to commoners and swords is WHERE in Europe you are.

In Scandinavia the pesantry where free, an expected to do military scervice. Thus, the more weapons and armour they had, the better.
In eastern europe, Serfdom was the norm. In such regions, weapons would naturaly be banned.
in western europe, the peasntry enjoyed a higher degree of freedom, so they would probably be allowed to own simple weapons. If they could aford or want to do so is another question.

Battlefield looting would probably not be that common, since the number of actual large battles was quite low. In either case, the victorious army would most likely pillage the field themselves.

yours
Elling
Allen W wrote:
Jeanry nothing in your posts is evidecerary of peasants not being Christian in spite of how they felt about the church or continuing pagan practices.

I admit I do not have any proof, none exists either way, IMO. I could supply a great deal of anecdotal evidence if I had time, but I don't. I just wanted to sketch out the framework of my argument.

Quote:
I am also surprised that you left out the canonization of pagan deities.

I left out a lot of things, that as well as the churches on pagan temples, the christianization of pagan rituals etc. I assume my colleagues here are fairly well read. Some of this basic ground was covered by David and others (see the other thread)
In general, it's such a huge issue, there simply isn't time for me to get into it in sufficient detail, nor is this really the proper venue for such a discussion.

Quote:
The two major flaws in your argument are that Christianity and paganism are incompatible( whether they are or not is of course a dogmatic argument but the relevant fact is that many practice both while considering themselves Christians, as I believe, did the majority of both European peasants and nobility).

Well, I happen to think they are, when you are talking about European culture, frankly, but this is as you say a 'dogmatic' argument and I don't want to go there. I will say this, some people encompas many contradictary views within themselves, it doesn't mean they fit together harmonically.

Quote:

By this reasoning all Catholics might be called pagan.

Some people think that 's what makes Catholic towns like New Orleans a bit more tolerable.... ;) For the record though, it's obviously a matter of degree. At this point, in most of Europe, I'd say devout Catholics are just that, Catholic. In other parts of the world where the religion hasn't been consolidated as long , I'm not so sure. Witness the revival of the Indian religion in Guatemala when political conditins permitted it, as well is in the same vein the rather odd mixture of Catholicism with local religions throughout latin America, and some of the practices there.

Quote:
Secondly you ignore the active participation of the peasantry in these witch hunts.

First of all, it dosn't take many people within a community to bring about universal terror. Even in circumstances where participation is indeed widespread, this is an unfortunate aspect of human nature, given enough murderous pressure and misery. The population actively participated in the Stalinist witch hunts of the communists in the Eastern Block during the Cold War, reporting on each other and etc. l don't think that is because the majority of them were orthodox Marxist- Leninists. Perhaps you do.

Quote:
but your characterization of Egil and Egil's saga strike me as fictitious(though it has been quite a few years since I read it).

I'm sorry, I must have made you angry, I find it somewhat rude to accuse me of writing fiction here. Egil (who is hardly a sympathetic character himself) spends most of his time in the book fighting with royalty, and remains a militant pagan among increasing encroachment of christians. My characterization of his motives is paraphrased from the translators of the Penguin books copy I have, Hermann Palsson and Paul Edwards (ISBN 0 14 04.4321 5). You can obtain this book within a couple of days from Amazon, or from Ebay at probably half price. I reccomend if you have strong feelings about it that you reread it for yourself.

JR
Elling Polden wrote:
Back to commoners and swords.

The essential thing when it comes to commoners and swords is WHERE in Europe you are.

I definately agree with this statement. The tie -in is that the Where was often defined by whether or not there was a powerful monarch in the area or not, and the tradition of the armed populace, as in Scandinavia or Switzerland, was essentially a pagan tradition. It's not by accident that the Swiss Confederacy called themselves the Helvetian league...

JR
Dear Jeanry,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. You have raised many salient points-- much of what you have written is simple fact and I will not disagree with you there. Your interpretation of those facts is another thing :) But then, perhaps you expected I would take an opposing view with some of it.

Firstly you write:
Quote:
Michelet also pointed out the interesting etymological facts that the words 'heathen' and 'pagan' both originally meant peasant.. I did not accept his theory initially, I actually found it rather shocking, but I kept it under consideration.

Again, the word "pagan" may have a different etymology (see other thread), but that is neither here nor there. Assuming that the usage does reflect the prevalence of Pre-Christian belief amongst countrymen, one has to ask "when did this term come into usage"? The term came into usage in the 4th century at the latest (that's as far back as I could trace it anyway). This means that in "300 something" A.D. Christianity was, in some regions, found primarily in urban centres. This is not controversial-- the first Christian missionaries made it their practice to go to the cities (think of St. Paul in the book of Acts) rather than the countryside. The reason for this was simple-- a church planted in a population centre would me much more effective in spreading the gospel throughout a region than one missionary. As Christianity spread it was normally the cities that would be effected first.

The key is the time in which the word "pagani" was first used-- to draw conclusions from the 4th c usage (that is the etymology) and try make mean the same thing seven centuries later is unworkable. To be clear-- if ancient Christians used the term "pagani" for non-christians because countrymen of the 4th century were often non-Christian that tells us something about the country folk of the 4th century, not the 12th.

Quote:
It was from military history at any rate that the more staggering evidence of the seemingly endless, vicious class -war which had taken place in Europe came to light. I was fascinated to note that some of the most effective military powers in Europe were republics and confederations run by commoners, and that they often rivaled and frequently defeated the greatest monarchies of Europe.... etc

I do not disagree with you here-- many of the wars and much of the unrest in medieval Europe were a result of the tension between the aristocracy and the common man, (and the church often sided with the aristocracy). This is unfortunate but not controversial. I disagree wholeheartedly with your extrapolation that, because of the above, it is likely that the aristocracy was, therefore, Christian while the commoner was pagan. Not only is this arguing from a vast and "roaring" silence, but it flies in the face of all annals of the time-- both ecclesiastical and secular. More on that in a moment.

Quote:
1) The conversion of the people often took place in a top-down manner which started with the aristocracy and gradually filtered down to the populace.

Yes and no. Yes, the "appropriate" way to evangelise by the 5th century at least was to go to the king and ask for his permission to preach the gospel and form communities of faith. Sometimes the king converted himself, sometimes he didn't. Either way, while the "conversion" of the populace was by no means immediate, it tended to be complete within a hundred years wherever you look. Ireland is a case in point-- Patrick who may fall under your category of "wandering prophet" asked and received permission from the High King. Although the King himself did not convert, the population quickly responded.

The Irish church followed Patrick's example in beginning with kings but ministering to the poor. St. Aidan is an example of this. Money he received went to the freeing of slaves. He lived humbly and sparingly-- he walked rather than rode even when given a horse by the king (which he gave to a beggar if I recall correctly) so that he could speak with the common people. He won them over quickly.

The early monasteries were the spearhead of almost all Christian work throughout Europe. These communities were both courageous and kind. They revolutionised agriculture amongst the pagan tribes and introduced advanced (at the time) medical care to the regions in which they worked-- they were also centres for education. I say this because often one is given the idea that the monasteries were places of "escape". Certainly some were, and in later times these institutions became as liable to corruption as any other (of which, more anon).

If you look at the way they spread, you will note that they reached noble and commoner alike. Charlemagne and Olaf provide negative examples of how some of the newly Christian kings spread the faith, but over all, Christianity became the defining characteristic of Europe's population however it was spread.

Quote:
In fact In egil's saga, for example the writer clearly associates the new Monarchy which was eroding the old federated libertarian tribalism of the traditional Norse society, with Christianity. Egil himself is considered an anti-Monarch and an anti-Christian.

Yes, but Egil was a 10th century character-- no one is suggesting that the Vikings were majoritively Christian at this time.

Quote:
2) The common people were alienated from the church, and the church had little interest in them for a long time. And 3) The commoners generally considered the Church their class enemies

The church went through a number of periods of moral decline and reformation. Generally the Christians who took the gospel to the pagan hinterlands were devout-- one had to be to consider such a task. The churches they founded developed local clergy who carried on the task and transformed their societies. Rome was going through some terrible times, however, and was sinking into a state of decadence. This disease of the soul spread through out now Christian Europe affecting many (but not all) countries.

By this time, the second and third sons (and so on) of noble families were sent to the Church to preserve the inheritance of the firstborn son. This meant that many entered the priesthood with less than ideal motivations. Many (but not all) priests were aristocrats. Power-mongers in the priesthood of a church that is in moral decline makes for very bad times. It was in the interest of these men to safe-guard the privileges of the aristocracy for a number of reasons:

1. Most of them were nobles themselves.
2. Many had attained their positions (bishops and even popes) through "simony" which is essentially the buying of position.
3. The feudal system was understood to be the natural way for any society to be governed-- the alternative was anarchy.
4. A safe and wealthy aristocracy meant safety and wealth for these clerics.

It is important to note that "the Church" itself was not all bad-- but the cardinals, bishops, even the popes were at many times considered the enemies of Christ by commoners and clergy alike.

Chaucer in his "Canterbury Tales" critiques the church in the form of the Pardoner who sells remission of sins and the Friar who asks for silver from penitents, seduces women, and loves his drink. If you've read this you'll remember his words are scathing. Yet, he speaks of the Parson and the Prioress as godly people representative of those through whom "Cristes gospel truly wolde be preched". This is the understanding of the commoner-- something was very wrong with the Church, but by God's grace there were still true men and women of faith.

It is interesting to note that one never hears of the people rebuilding the altars of the old gods in rebellion against the church-- it wasn't Christianity they rebelled against, it was the tyranny of Rome. A number of men rose up within the Church who sought to reform it. They frequently attacked it on some points of theology and always on the point of greed. It was these men (largely priests or monks-- sometimes Bishops and Abbots) who won the favour of the majority (Luther is a later example of this). The nobility were comfortable with the bishops-- the peasants loved the Franciscans who cared for them... and so on.

At other times the commoners (and even nobles) would embrace wholesale heresy such as that of the Cathars and Albigensians. But even here it was a version (albeit a twisted one) of Christianity not of the old pagan faiths of Europe. The Cathari owed their beliefs as much to the persian mystic Mani as they did to the apostles-- perhaps more. Catharism had nothing to do with Gallic or Frankish paganism.

You write:
Quote:
As I mentioned before, the chief opponents of peasants seeking to better their lot were often the Bishops or local Abbots (who incidentally, shared the same right of 'first flower' as other landlords) I cite one example, from the German Peasant uprising which took place at the time of the very early protestant reformation (and later condemned by Luther).

Here is a list of participants of the Swabian League which was the principle enemy of that uprising, as quoted from the "Urkunden zur Geschichte des Schwasbichen Bundes" aka 'Documents of the Swabian League'):

All of these peasants were Christian! They had been swept up in Luther's call to freedom-- his Christian message had inspired them to action (he never called them to "strike the Christians down for Wotan"). It is true that they misunderstood him and that he became terrified by the anarchy that followed their revolt. In some ways their destruction of churches, monasteries and abbeys could be seen as a natural enough interpretation of his cry against wealthy churches... nonetheless... they misunderstood.

Why did these peasants who saw the Institutional Church as corrupt so often embrace orders such as the Franciscans, reformers such as Wycliffe, Huss and Luther, or heretics such as the Cathari in their rebellion against the Bishops etc? Simply, because there was no alternative for them-- they believed in Christ, but not the "false shepherds" who "fed on the flock"-- moreover the old religion was long dead-- it wasn't a living option.

As for the witch trials-- they were far too late to suggest any likelihood of old-style paganism. There is no evidence of a connection between these "witches" and pagans. Witches were tried as worshippers of the devil, not Odin or Belenos (the trials' transcripts leave no doubt that it is the devil of the Bible that is being referred to). Again, while it is possible that a few may have tampered with the worship of Satan, most would have been genuine Christians destroyed in an epidemic of superstitious paranoia. (It is important to note that, whatever "witch" signifies today within Wiccan circles, it signified devil-worshipper in the Middle Ages).

It is also important to note that the word "pagan" was (and still is) used to refer to decadence. While I am not familiar with the discussion of public baths I am quite sure they would have been (if unisex) considered inappropriate-- I highly doubt that they were believed by the church to be genuinely "pagan". I would have to see the quote before I could be convinced otherwise.

Midwives are represented in every culture and religion-- pagan, Jewish, and Christian-- this doesn't signify anything.

I think I have covered the main points. Briefly, I agree that there was often tension between the church and the people (although we haven't got into it here the nobility had as much problems with the church as the commoners-- it comes down to money and power). This tension has nothing to do with paganism-- it has to do with human failings.

I appreciate how you may have come to see this as a hint of pagan survival-- but there is no evidence. More than this, the evidence points in exactly the opposite direction. When this is the case, an argument from silence won't do.

I aplogise for the length of the post, but it is a fairly wide-ranging topic.

Cheers,

David
Jeanry, I was not offended and I appreciate the fact that you're going out on a limb, but irrespective of Egil's religious beliefs I can recall nothing to suggest its presence among his motives (which, if that was your intent as I read it, is sufficiently discrepant to be considered an invention irrespective of whether or not you intended to deceive).
Commoners
I suspect we see the world very differently, and we will simply have to agree to disagree on our interpretation of the facts, a lot of this stuff (how monastaries are perecieved, for example, or whether Christian "saints" were benign) is subjective , "is the glass half full or half empty" kind of thing. You see the common people as being 100% Christian with a few remnant heathanish tendancies, I see it basically the other way around.

One key difference which I think may be throwing you off is in how you percieve pagan religion, by this I mean northern and western european pre-christian religious beliefs, as being practiced. You mention that nobody was worshiping diana or building temples to zeus. I don't think that this is the main way that the old religion was practiced however. I don't think it was as centralized, that there was regular preaching going on, that people were looking up to gods all the time. There were sacred groves and such before the Romans, but I don't think these were as key or necessary as Churches were to the Chrisitian religion (or many other middle eastern religions) There were some popular gods which were reveered all over, Epona, say, or Thor, but pagan religious practice as I have come to understand it was much more about the house spirit, the grove spirit, the spring or well spirit. About the seasons, the harvest and the planting. About healing and managing livestock, gaining fertility for cows or rye fields... about showing respect to the ancestors, being wary of the little people, and the strange places in the forest.

I agree, there were no Cathedrals to Wotan in the 14th century. The fact that you seem to be looking for something like this to me illustrates the point of precisely how you could miss all the evidence of how the old religion stuck around for so long.

I would also say that, as someone who has lived in subcultures most of his life, it is perhaps easier for me to see how subcultures can and do thrive within the greater culture, with their own strongly held beliefs, values and moral principles which are completely different, even opposite.

JR
Allen W wrote:
Jeanry, I was not offended and I appreciate the fact that you're going out on a limb, but irrespective of Egil's religious beliefs I can recall nothing to suggest its presence among his motives (which, if that was your intent as I read it, is sufficiently discrepant to be considered an invention irrespective of whether or not you intended to deceive).

As I said, I was paraphrasing what the translators said in the introduction, and it seemed to me to bear out in the text of the saga. If I claimed it was my "invention", that would be plagarism. Like I said, pick up a copy and review it yourself.

JR
Jeanry wrote:
Quote:
One key difference which I think may be throwing you off is in how you percieve pagan religion, by this I mean northern and western european pre-christian religious beliefs, as being practiced. You mention that nobody was worshiping diana or building temples to zeus. I don't think that this is the main way that the old religion was practiced however. I don't think it was as centralized, that there was regular preaching going on, that people were looking up to gods all the time. There were sacred groves and such before the Romans, but I don't think these were as key or necessary as Churches were to the Chrisitian religion (or many other middle eastern religions) There were some popular gods which were reveered all over, Epona, say, or Thor, but pagan religious practice as I have come to understand it was much more about the house spirit, the grove spirit, the spring or well spirit. About the seasons, the harvest and the planting. About healing and managing livestock, gaining fertility for cows or rye fields... about showing respect to the ancestors, being wary of the little people, and the strange places in the forest.

I agree, there were no Cathedrals to Wotan in the 14th century. The fact that you seem to be looking for something like this to me illustrates the point of precisely how you could miss all the evidence of how the old religion stuck around for so long.

I would also say that, as someone who has lived in subcultures most of his life, it is perhaps easier for me to see how subcultures can and do thrive within the greater culture, with their own strongly held beliefs, values and moral principles which are completely different, even opposite.

Hi again Jeanry,

I suppose we may just have to disagree on this one. I think the facts are explained in their most obvious light (i.e. in the words of the contemporary commentators of the time) and that hidden explanations are unnecessary in this instance.

I don't remember arguing that "cathedrals" to Wotan would have been present if the old religions were a living reality to the populace as such...

I am possibly more aware of the beliefs of the "Celtic" and Germanic peoples than you might gather from the above. I am aware of the decentralised nature of the latter vs the former for example (although much of the content of both has been lost to us aside from the basic mythos that have been preserved).

Also, I like to think I am familiar with the subtleties of worldview that are reflected in various cultures-- I have spent a number of years in other cultures, particularly in Europe and Central Asia. I'm not bragging (I hope), I just don't want you to think I am arguing from a monocultural position.

European paganism was animistic to a degree, as you say (as seen in their belief in localised spirits... wells, trees, mountains and groves etc) but it was also polytheistic. The ancient Irish had a pantheon which included the Tuatha de Danaan and Fomhoire (possibly reflecting the Aesir and Vanir, although the Fomhoire would seem to have been darker than the Vanir). It is hard to divorce the central deities from genuine ancient paganism. Cuchullain would swear "by the gods my people swear by". Although it was fashionable some time ago to doubt the reliability of Caesar's descriptions of Gallic human sacrifice, few now doubt that this was a very real part of those ancient religions (cf. Lindow man's form of death and the "bog bodies in Denmark). Of course there are positives as well... the Brehon laws etc.

What I am getting at is, the gods were an irreducible part of our ancestors paganism. As an 2nd century Irishman you needed to know who the gods were, what territories they held sway over, the appropriate rituals to appease them (and to seal their blessing on the cycles of life and death). This is very different to the hold-overs that survived into the new Christian world. One can be a Christian and believe in elves and trolls, for instance... most people likely did up until a couple of hundred years ago. One cannot be a Christian while worshiping other gods. Likewise, one cannot believe that Jesus is the Son of the Living God, the rightful king of heaven and earth and still be a real (in the historical sense) pagan.

The attitudes of the medieval European Christians certainly were still tangled up with pagan attitudes-- their proclivity for blood feud, trial by fire, cattle raiding and so on was only partly diminished...

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts... its good to stretch the mind, no? :)

Yours,

David
I am inclined to agree with Jeanry's characterization of paganism in practice (with the assumption that such gods were largely understood as communicative devices to simplify less anthropological concepts) but base this only on my understanding of human nature and the tendency to rationalize the dominant religion into a form each individual can deal with. Likewise everything I have encountered regarding the worship of gods comes from clearly biased Christian sources. Does anyone know of a stronger basis for historical Northern European pagan practices?

P.S. Jeanry, I apologise in advance if I have mischaracterized your position.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: