Type H Viking sword-Castle Keep
Its been a while since i have posted anything new,despite having been very busy.This is a new type H Viking sword i have just completed,
EN45 hand Forged blade hardened and tempered to 52-55 Rockwell
Birchwood and horn grip,with Sterling Silver carved Dragon knot ring
Steel crossguard and pommel,hot peened
Ash Scabbard,velvet lined,calfskin covered and finished with Sterling Silver strap end and buckle.

Weight 2.2Lb
Overall Length 37 1/4"
Blade Length 31 3/4"
Point Of Balance 5 1/2" below guard

very light,very fast,clean and crisp!

Attachment: 93.73 KB
sTH7.jpg

Attachment: 16.92 KB
sTH13.jpg

Attachment: 40.1 KB
[ Download ]
I will post up some other pics on my forum pages too.

Attachment: 57.35 KB
sTH10.jpg

The more I see of your work, the more I admire your craftmanship and artistry. Congrats on another lovely looking sword, Rob!

Cheers,
Henrik
That's beautiful. I am a huge fan of fancy wood, and I think the grip on this sword is exceptional. The whole package is very appealing.
Thank you Gentlemen,I am going to attach a couple of pictures to give you a better look at the tip of the blade and some of the Overall project.It has been suggested that the birch and bone/horn combination is beginning to become a bit of a signature with my work over the past year or so,it is definitely a look that i have not yet grown tired of,giving a good Organic presence to the Sword.

Attachment: 26.98 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 90.02 KB
[ Download ]
Very nice looking piece of craftsmanship.
Awesome. :eek:

Is this the "über-cool viking sword" week or what ? First the Albion Valkyria, now this one... :p

As with your previous sword, the sword in itself is wonderful but the scabbard is also very nice... Seems a bit modern compared to the sword however, or is it just me ? I was under the impression that this kind of suspension came a couple of centuries later. :)
Very nice, the type H is perhaps my favorite Viking type and this is one of the nicest I've seen. Thanks for sharing!
Hugo,
thats right,it is a later scabbard,but made for the order.Its probably a topic for another discussion,but did the suspension set up change overnight or gradually?and was there a progression from the typical front loop style familiar on Viking swords?was it essentially a difference in wearing the Sword either over the shoulder or around the waist?
Beautiful work, once again, Rob. I like all aspects of the package.
thank you Steve,
there is something really clean about this type of Guard and pommel combination,almost futuristic in a sense,The more i look at some of the fine work on Viking swords the more i come to appreciate that they were at the peak of an epoch in sword Manufacture and Craftsmanship,and that in a sense the later Medieval blades are much cruder in finish and construction,I really enjoyed this project,I shall be featuring this as one of my Stock line once i can get the site properly sorted out.
For anyone wanting to see other examples of my work either see this Forum section or my own Forums at;

http://forums.castlekeep.co.uk/
I am quite new to this forum, and the first thing i saw was this sword. Absolutley astonishing. I am at loss of words. Its just so awsome you can do this things with your hands. Keep up the good work. I'll check your page, maybe Im getting one heheh

AMireles
Beautiful work!

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: