Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Doge Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Could this shape be intended to maximize the offensive potential of the pommel? Every other element of this sword seems so practical that it doesn't seem logical that the pommel shape would simply be an artistic touch. With this pommel as well as the knuckle guard (which also can be used offensively at close quarters) this sword just seems to be made in anticipation of coming to grips with an opponent.

I do not think it is far fetched to think the elongated pommel or rivet block can double as a skull crusher.
To elongate the tang beyond the pommel does has some effects on distribution of secondary or higher nodes in the grip, but I have not tested this enough to say anything conclusive about its effect in the historical material. Nor am I certain that such a thing is the primary reason, other than perhaps as a bonus effect that some cutlers in some way utilized.

The most easily reached explanation is for close quarter tactic and possible also an aesthetic effect. Aesthetic, since you do not have to make the elongation *that* long of it to be effective. A way to express and underline function in shape.
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've loved this one from the second I saw the concept art. It's even better looking now it's done. Top notch Albion. I've gotta look into getting me one of these!!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
I've loved this one from the second I saw the concept art.

I agree... I had high hopes for this one, and it exceeded my expectations visually. It's one of the prettiest swords in the Albion line up, in my opinion! I suspect many modern collectors will be turned off by it, since it's unusual in the modern market, but I hope that isn't the case. I'd like to see more swords along this line made!

Kudos to the Albion team for this one! I wish I could afford it at the moment, but alas, my money's already going towards another Albion at the moment.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for expressing such enthusiasm for this sword.

It is encouraging to hear that this sword receives such appreciation.
The Doge is not exactly a generic main stream sword and could even be a bit challenging in that its components come together in a way that strikes a slightly dissonant chord visually.

I guess this might very well be what is so catching with these weapons. The manufacture of weapons in the Veneto region seems to have followed its own rather unique ideals.
To me it was very inspiring to get an opportunity to develop a design following those examples. It is often those swords that tend to stand out and be a bit against the grain that are rewarding and interesting.
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice little thing Happy

Such an elongated , inverted pear-shaped pommel is not unknown on other swords as well - like this one in the Musée de l'Armée in Paris (we also have such an inverted angular teardrop pommel on a single-handed one-edged sword, dating from 1450 certainly, in the storage rooms of the Dijon museum).

You'll notice how close its cross is to the group B swords from Castillon. You'll also notice, for those familiar with this find (or at least the published swords), that there is actually a sword in that said group, whith a very similar pommel, except that it's put the 'right' way, ie with the big end on top.

Which means : take a sword blade, take a teardrop-shaped pommel (and any type of cross). Put it the right way, and you get a hand-and-a-half sword (should hgave posted that in the relevant topic...), put it the 'wrong' way and you get a nice single-hander.

Especially since we know that often, very often, sword blades and sword fittings were not made at the same place, simply assembled according to the whims of the maker or the customer.

And yes, additionally, it can be used as a nice pointy-ish thingy to damage skulls with Happy

The lug on the short edge near the ricasso serves fencing purposes IMO too. You can see, although later, similar lugs on the short edges of Dusacks, like this drawing from a marginalia of the account of a discussion of the City council and the XXI (the governing body of Strasburg) that took place on December 2, 1559 - about a Fechtschul, surprisingly Happy (AMS 1R22 f. 533v. - as published in Oliver Dupuis' article Joachim Meyer, escrimeur libre, bourgeois de Strasbourg (1537 ? - 1571) in Maîtres et Techniques de Combat à la fin du Moyen Age et au début de la Renaissance, Paris : AEDEH, 2006 ) :

(all rights on this image belong to the author)

Peter : is the cross guard inspired to what you saw in Venice ? Does it represent the 'mainstream' Venetian swords, or are there other variations you could observe ?

Nice sword, I'd like to see it IRL.

Fab

PS : we have one of these, river-found, and broken, in Châlon too...

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the mean time, I think this sword would look stunning with an oxbloodred grip.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fabrice Cognot wrote:
Nice little thing Happy

Such an elongated , inverted pear-shaped pommel is not unknown on other swords as well - like this one in the Musée de l'Armée in Paris (we also have such an inverted angular teardrop pommel on a single-handed one-edged sword, dating from 1450 certainly, in the storage rooms of the Dijon museum).

You'll notice how close its cross is to the group B swords from Castillon. You'll also notice, for those familiar with this find (or at least the published swords), that there is actually a sword in that said group, whith a very similar pommel, except that it's put the 'right' way, ie with the big end on top.

Which means : take a sword blade, take a teardrop-shaped pommel (and any type of cross). Put it the right way, and you get a hand-and-a-half sword (should hgave posted that in the relevant topic...), put it the 'wrong' way and you get a nice single-hander.

Especially since we know that often, very often, sword blades and sword fittings were not made at the same place, simply assembled according to the whims of the maker or the customer.

And yes, additionally, it can be used as a nice pointy-ish thingy to damage skulls with Happy

The lug on the short edge near the ricasso serves fencing purposes IMO too. You can see, although later, similar lugs on the short edges of Dusacks, like this drawing from a marginalia of the account of a discussion of the City council and the XXI (the governing body of Strasburg) that took place on December 2, 1559 - about a Fechtschul, surprisingly Happy (AMS 1R22 f. 533v. - as published in Oliver Dupuis' article Joachim Meyer, escrimeur libre, bourgeois de Strasbourg (1537 ? - 1571) in Maîtres et Techniques de Combat à la fin du Moyen Age et au début de la Renaissance, Paris : AEDEH, 2006 ) :

Peter : is the cross guard inspired to what you saw in Venice ? Does it represent the 'mainstream' Venetian swords, or are there other variations you could observe ?

Nice sword, I'd like to see it IRL.

Fab

PS : we have one of these, river-found, and broken, in Châlon too...

Hey Fab!

This type of pommel I also count into the group! They are a perfect example of this "trend".
The one from the Musée de l'Armée you posted, is not just similar, but identical to one of the Castillion swords kept in the Royal Amrouries in Leeds. I have documented that sword and was delighted by the wonderful shaping of the pommel.
I am familiar with the description that such a pommel is simply an inverted scent stopper, but I do not fully agree. Superficially it looks that way, but there are other things going on. For one thing the spur is too thin to be a mirror image of a scent stopper.
The bevels are shaped differently than you find a normal scent stopper (there is *one* type of scent stopper with this kind of beveling, but it is uncommon). The pommel of the "Doge" is *very* close to the Castillion & Musée de l'Armée swords. (I wonder if both are not found at the same place? Oakeshott mentions two identical swords from the Castillion site. The one he has published in his Records is said to belong to a private collection, but it is the *exact* same one that I documented in Leeds: I recognize the nicks in the blade).
You cannot take the same pommel and turn it around to make it a scent stopper or a "spur" pommel. The dimensions and proportions are different.

The guard on the Doge is inspired by the one on display in Vienna. The swords with this kind of blade lug that I have seen have all had this type of hilt. Each one of them has *slightly* different modeling of bevels, but they are similar as brothers in the same family. The one in Vienna has this exactly this contrast between one side angular and one side round. I cannot now exactly remember what representation of variations were on display in Venice.

I would love to see the Châlon sword! Fascinating!
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Hey Fab!

This type of pommel I also count into the group! They are a perfect example of this "trend".
The one from the Musée de l'Armée you posted, is not just similar, but identical to one of the Castillion swords kept in the Royal Amrouries in Leeds. I have documented that sword and was delighted by the wonderful shaping of the pommel.
I am familiar with the description that such a pommel is simply an inverted scent stopper, but I do not fully agree. Superficially it looks that way, but there are other things going on. For one thing the spur is too thin to be a mirror image of a scent stopper.
The bevels are shaped differently than you find a normal scent stopper (there is *one* type of scent stopper with this kind of beveling, but it is uncommon). The pommel of the "Doge" is *very* close to the Castillion & Musée de l'Armée swords. (I wonder if both are not found at the same place? Oakeshott mentions two identical swords from the Castillion site. The one he has published in his Records is said to belong to a private collection, but it is the *exact* same one that I documented in Leeds: I recognize the nicks in the blade).
You cannot take the same pommel and turn it around to make it a scent stopper or a "spur" pommel. The dimensions and proportions are different.

Good point.

I reckon that locally, the two examples I have of teardrop or spur-shaped pommels slighlty differ from scent stoppers. But these two local examples also differ from the Paris sword. They're more angular, if you see what I mean (well, hard to say with the Dijon sword, as it suffered heavily from corrosion). And the point is much thinner (would need a lot of time to file down a scent stopper to such a thin section).

As for the Mdl'A sword and the RA sword, I wouldn't bet against them being from the same place. I'll check its provenance next time I'll have a few hours to spend in Paris, or maybe just ask the curator.

Quote:
The guard on the Doge is inspired by the one on display in Vienna. The swords with this kind of blade lug that I have seen have all had this type of hilt. Each one of them has *slightly* different modeling of bevels, but they are similar as brothers in the same family. The one in Vienna has this exactly this contrast between one side angular and one side round. I cannot now exactly remember what representation of variations were on display in Venice.

I don't remember the Vienna sword being that angular - not that I don't like it - thing is, all the pics I took there last time are extremely blurry. I'll amend that next February hopefully. Happy

Quote:
I would love to see the Châlon sword! Fascinating!

It's just a tiny piece of corroded (and now cleaned, ok) metal, really. But you'd be surprised to see how close it is to the Vienna sword - and certainly others in Venice. I'll try to send you pics if you remind me from time to time* - I tend to forget things nowadays.

Cheers

Fab

*Or take new pics anyway, as I'm going to Chalon tomorrow...

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.
Pierre T.

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello

I am glad that Peter Johnsson has said the Dodge "could even be a bit challenging in that its components come together in a way that strikes a slightly dissonant chord visually", as I must admit that I find myself more startled than attracted to the look of this sword. Perhaps it needs time for it to grow on me?

The aspect that is the most striking to me, and therefore makes me the more curious, is the sharp 90 degree bend in the cross guard, followed by a concave (instead of convex) curve over the hand. I am by no means an expert on this issue, but I can't remember ever seeing a hilt like that. Do we know why it was made that way?

Thanks,

Pierre

P.S. I should say that even though it might not be "for me", it's a very impressive piece of work!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pierre T. wrote:
The aspect that is the most striking to me, and therefore makes me the more curious, is the sharp 90 degree bend in the cross guard, followed by a concave (instead of convex) curve over the hand. I am by no means an expert on this issue, but I can't remember ever seeing a hilt like that. Do we know why it was made that way?

Thanks,

Pierre

P.S. I should say that even though it might not be "for me", it's a very impressive piece of work!

Seems like a good shape to deflect a blow away from the body and I sort of really like the aesthetics of this sword.

So far none of my swords have complex hilts and this one seems like one of the earliest examples of complex hilts.

Questions for Peter, period ? How early would these be known to exist ? I'm guessing 1450 to 1525 with more " rapier " type hilts becoming common after 1500 ? Also how late would these have been still popular in Venice, 1600 ?

Would usage have been almost exclusively a Venetian exclusive fashion or would there have been some known use spreading to other parts of Europe ?

I would guess that a travelling Venetian merchant or noble would have taken his regional style sword with him or " foreigners " might have taken a liking to this style and taken one back to their own country. A more general question would be how much did regional styles of swords and armour be exported to or be in use in other areas ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think such pommel shapes come directly from the taste of the late gothic period, as it can be derived from artworks like paintings, sculptures and buildings.

Such taste was still fashionable even during the early stage of the renaissance.
Jan Chodkiewicz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Look at this brass effigy http://www.mbs-brasses.co.uk/Barlow_brass.htm

It has teardrop pommel too.

"Omnis enim artifex intendit producere opus pulcrum et utile et stabile."
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely, as usual. Just...

Well, maybe this is just me obsessing over details, but I can't help but notice that the knuckle guard is much more slender and pointyer then on the concept drawing. Is there any particular reason for this?

*rather prefered the sturdier-looking concept variant* >>
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jan Chodkiewicz wrote:
Look at this brass effigy http://www.mbs-brasses.co.uk/Barlow_brass.htm

It has teardrop pommel too.

Hey Jan!

This was well found :-) A good example of the exact type of pommel on an all together different sword. I like that combination!
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
Lovely, as usual. Just...

Well, maybe this is just me obsessing over details, but I can't help but notice that the knuckle guard is much more slender and pointyer then on the concept drawing. Is there any particular reason for this?

*rather prefered the sturdier-looking concept variant* >>

Hej Anders,

The concept drawings are visualizations of ideas. The sword is not fully developed when this drawing is made. The concept is a guide and an attempt to summarize the visual aspect of the project (sometimes even before it has begun). As the sword grows gradually from the plane of ideas into our world of solid shadows it will invariably go through transformations. I try to stay true to the concept as much as possible, as long as it does not mean the final sword would be for the worse if I did *not* subject it to change.
It happens that I come across new facts as I keep researching a sword type during development. It would be wrong of me *not* to make use of the new data, simply because I did not have access to that at the time I made the concept drawing.

In the case of the Doge, the sword would have been clumsy if the concept drawing was followed in every detail. Some of these hilts indeed have clubbed ends of the knuckle guard (but slimmer than how I showed in the concept drawing), others have this tapering end that I made on the final design. As I carved the original wax, I found that the latter solution fitted better with the overall character of the hilt and blade.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pierre T. wrote:
Hello

I am glad that Peter Johnsson has said the Dodge "could even be a bit challenging in that its components come together in a way that strikes a slightly dissonant chord visually", as I must admit that I find myself more startled than attracted to the look of this sword. Perhaps it needs time for it to grow on me?

Thanks,

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

Thanks for your observations. Personally I often find that those sword that has a startling effect on me in the long run are more satisfying than those who are immediately pleasing to the eye. The ones that are slightly off putting or somehow disturbing, provokes me to return again and again to figure them out. After some time I often find that I am strongly attracted to their otherness. They help me to expand my appreciation and understanding of swords as a whole.
Learning from this, I now deliberately slow down when I run into these individuals, as I know they can hold something valuable, that I would otherwise miss by a thoughtless dismissal.

The sharp "knee" of the knuckle guard and the concave curve is a pretty common feature actually, often depicted in art from the period. It seems especially common on single edged weapons of falchion and messer type.
I guess that I should scan some examples and post here, but I need to limit my time at the computer. Perhaps I can return with examples later? There are many.

The group of swords that I have studied as the basis for the Doge, all show marks of wear and damage from battle or skirmish. Many hilts have been bent and straightened. None of them today show perfect lines, as they would have been when new.

One thing that I find interesting is how the forward guard is split in two: finger ring and knuckle guard, while the aft guard is undivided. There is a tell tale effect of this in that the mass is divided in two components on one side, but stays a single solid shape on the other side. This is a witness of how the guard was forged to shape, and something I wanted to express in the carving of the wax. It is not *exactly* the same amount of material on both sides, but there is a tendency of this that can be seen in some of the originals. I really like this effect as it makes for a special kind of character.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Personally I often find that those sword that has a startling effect on me in the long run are more satisfying than those who are immediately pleasing to the eye. The ones that are slightly off putting or somehow disturbing, provokes me to return again and again to figure them out. After some time I often find that I am strongly attracted to their otherness. They help me to expand my appreciation and understanding of swords as a whole.
Learning from this, I now deliberately slow down when I run into these individuals, as I know they can hold something valuable, that I would otherwise miss by a thoughtless dismissal.

I can relate to this 100%. I have found that the more strange designs that history has left us tend to have more staying power with me, personally. Those designs that are pleasing and more generic in nature do not stay with me very long. I believe this effect is fueled by a similar desire to "figure it out" that you have. I want to know the "why" behind these strange designs and it often draws me to refer back to photos, read about, and eventually pick up the item repeatedly.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it looks fantastic. It is striking, i think the dichotomy is between the elegance of the slim blade and the functional brutality of the hilt furniture. To me what it looks like is a leopard with it's claws out. Fantastic.

As for the elongated pommel, interesting observations Fabrice and Peter. I think an extra half-hand length seems to make plenty of sense, as does the potential for a spike for pommel-strikes (didn't Maroozzo or one of the Bolognese guys reccomend a sharpened spike-pommel for great swords? ) Another thing which I immediately thought of looking at it are the various disarms and binds of the wrist etc. which utilize the pommel. There are quite a few of these in the Lichtenauer tradition and I believe in Fiore as well, and they can be done with single-swords as well as longswords. In my mind this goes along with the formidable hand protection for the brutal fighting style which this sword would seem made for.

I can't really imagine what the back spur on the blade is for, except perhaps to protect the hand in a half-sword grip (stopping another blade from sliding down?) I would think it would be functional though.

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
I can't really imagine what the back spur on the blade is for, except perhaps to protect the hand in a half-sword grip (stopping another blade from sliding down?) I would think it would be functional though.

Jean

The spur could stop a blade sliding down that side of the blade before it got to the guard and give some added protection to the hand.

A blade caught in between the spur and the main guard might be hooked and deflected in some way ?

Maybe someone who practices with one handed swords, 1:33 sword & buckler or rapier swordsmanship ( Paging " Bill Grandy " or " Pamela Muir " or " Jessica Finley " or " Michael Edelson " or " Jean Carle Hudon " , probably forgetting many more, to give us their best guesses. Wink Big Grin )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Function for the lug?         Reply with quote

Here is an example of an extra parrying device on another type of Venetian hilt of the same or ever so slightly later time period.
I cannot say exactly how they were used, but to me they suggest a similar use as what you see in some manuals showing messer fighting: a kind of backhand parry, where a stop of some kind to keep an opponents blade away or even lock it may be a good thing.

Below the Venetian swords are two drawings from Dürers´ fencing book. Messer techniques are shown. Imagine what a back edge lug might add for these techniques. Especially in those vicious lock, poke and wrench manouvers. Perhaps swords like the Doge could be used in a similar way? Single hand half swording? Sounds strange, but it was obviously used for the messer.

Attachment: 90.05 KB
Dürermesser2172.jpg

Attachment: 133.23 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 90.66 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Peter Johnsson on Mon 17 Dec, 2007 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Doge
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: