Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Valkyrja Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is ridiculous amounts of awesome.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Peter Törlind

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Bronze Grip         Reply with quote

I am also interested in the bronze Grip. I think I have order #2 in Europe (ordered in march).

The Sonataka sword has always been my favorite
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Somehow, this sword has come out better than I expected and I was expecting something Outstanding! This may well be my next Albion purchase Exclamation I am one of many I am sure, who have been waiting for this sword and now I must get busy appropriating the funds to buy this sword that is also a piece of Art Exclamation

Howie, this sword is a WOWZER of phenominal proportions!

Bob
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ohhhh.........

I've been waiting for this one for two years....

*sigh*

If only, if only I weren't a poor grad student. Razz

Oh, and even though I'm not tall, blond, or Scandinavian, I'd be more than happy to pose for a photo shoot with this sword. Wink

Wa biš žam že sceal of langože leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing... The Valkyrja         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Soo...

Does anybody know any jaw-droppingly-attractive, tall, blonde Scandinavian women who could model with it?

That would be the mother of all ad campaigns in the sword repro industry, I'm tellin' ya! And, if there were any ONE sword gorgeous enough to make such an idea waork, it would be this one!

Funny you should mention this. . . One of the first people to have this sword in hand happened to be a blue-eyed blonde who I have on good authority is fairly cute. Big Grin Wink

I stopped by Albion this last week to drop off my FG Agincourt for a little cleanup and while we were chatting in the office, Mike said, "Hey, we've got the first castings in for the Valkyrja and Eric's putting it together downstairs. . . wanna see it?"

I can see why (and it is well worth it!) it took so long to get this sword "just right". Anyone who got in on this one early at the opening price is really going to have their money's worth. The hilt feels very comfortable in hand (and I usually don't get along as well with viking hilts) and is absolutely gorgeous!

I made my friend, Emily, drive my car in to New Glarus (she's got her learner's permit and I'm helping her practice) and she got to poke around Albion for a bit. She had fun and was very surprised/impressed having the sword in hand. Of course, the first thing that catches her eye while Mike, Eric, and I were talking over the Valkyrja was a Svante. . . Mike thought it was expensive taste; I know she's just easily distracted by shiny things. Happy
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing... The Valkyrja         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:

Funny you should mention this. . . One of the first people to have this sword in hand happened to be a blue-eyed blonde who I have on good authority is fairly cute. Big Grin Wink

I stopped by Albion this last week to drop off my FG Agincourt for a little cleanup and while we were chatting in the office, Mike said, "Hey, we've got the first castings in for the Valkyrja and Eric's putting it together downstairs. . . wanna see it?"

I can see why (and it is well worth it!) it took so long to get this sword "just right". Anyone who got in on this one early at the opening price is really going to have their money's worth. The hilt feels very comfortable in hand (and I usually don't get along as well with viking hilts) and is absolutely gorgeous!

I made my friend, Emily, drive my car in to New Glarus (she's got her learner's permit and I'm helping her practice) and she got to poke around Albion for a bit. She had fun and was very surprised/impressed having the sword in hand. Of course, the first thing that catches her eye while Mike, Eric, and I were talking over the Valkyrja was a Svante. . . Mike thought it was expensive taste; I know she's just easily distracted by shiny things. Happy

Hah! Yeah, I remember my trip to New Glarus like it was yesterday. Charming little town. Rich in history. Great food. Even better beer (you have to try New Glarus Brewery's belgian-style Cherry Ale!). It was that trip that inspired me to purchase the Stamford that I currently possess today.

I plan to visit again some day, probably when some of the current models get replaced with revisions.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your replies and reactions.
I am very glad you seem happy with the final result of this long process.

Too see this sword completed is for me like returning home from a long journey.
Decorative carving is something I“d like to do more of, both for migration era and viking sword projects as well as swords from other time periods and cultures.

I don“t think there will be a bronze grip offered as an alternative for the Valkyrja. We turned this around a few times and in the end settled for the initial idea to offer it with a plain leather grip. As it is already half way sold out, I am not even sure there will be time to carve a wax original, mold it and put it into production before most of the Valkyrjas are sold out.
There will be reason to return to all metal hilts for other swords: ancient, viking and later period weapons.

As to the dating of the AE type, Petersen puts it in the 11th C. However, he did not classify it with a D-shaped pommel (or Brazil nut as Jared Smith wants to describe it). Those he came across in the Norwegian material had antennae or C-shaped pommels.
It is interesting to note that there are antennae hilted swords (often with wide curving bow tie guards) of a unique from found in Latvia and Lithuania. These weapons belong to the late 10th and 11th C. They do have a resemblance to type AE hilts. There are other swords found in this same area that have large and flamboyant curving guards and pommels that are either of a peculiar cocked hat form or a rhomboidal shape.

I have already mentioned the similarities between the Sountaka sword and the plain iron hilted sword kept in the National Museum in Kopenhagen (inspiration for the NG Knud). The Dybäck sword of the late viking period is also of a character that shows a shared influence in style and expression.

On the Knud page on the Albion site I have written this:
"Jan Petersen, in his work on Norwegian Viking swords, defined the AE type that shares exactly the same kind of broadly flaring guard as the sword in Kopenhagen. The Norwegian hilts mostly or all seem to have U shaped pommels however. Petersen dates this type to the 11th C.

Interestingly, apart from the famous Sountaka sword, there are other weapons with similar hilts found in the Baltic states. Some of these have curling antennae pommels and single edged blades, but other have pommels that are D-shaped,triangular or even trilobate. It seems we are dealing with a type that saw popularity in different places around the Baltic Sea, with quite a bit of regional variation. These swords belong to the end of the Viking period or slightly later.

This was an age of profound and sometimes violent change, that saw the end of paganism with the introduction of Christianity as the established and favoured religion. Perhaps this hilt type is an expression of a lingering spirit that harks back to older times?"

In the Sountaka grave was found a second sword (lacking hilt: one all organic?) with silver inlay. The markings on one side have a line of palmettes (forming a tree of life?) with a bird at the top. Over the bird is a crescent moon (horizontal like the moon of the virgin). On the other side is a row of three groups of three uprights (pillars?) and between them the cross in a circle and small + shaped crosses dividing the pillars and the circle crosses. At the upper end of this line of symbols is a radiant sun.
These silver inlays are of a 11th C style, and similar designs can be found on swords in other parts of Europe (but it seems plausible that they all come from the same area of manufacture).
The jewlery found in the Sountaka grave is of early 11th C type.

All this makes the dating of the Sountaka sword to the 11th C obvious.
The pommel is not a classic brazil nut, but it is certainly related.
It is notable that the baltic swords that share the same type of guard as the Valkyrja can have pommels of C(11th C up till 1150) and E ( most popular between 1225-1275) type. This makes me think that the E type might have been in use at an earlier date than Oakeshott suggests.
...Or possibly that these great flamboyant bow tie guards survived over a pretty long time period!

A great part of the fun in developing these swords is that it can help bring about a discussion of the history of the sword(s) that was the basis or inspiration for the NG version. The Next generation swords are not so generic as is sometimes referred to and described.

The Sountaka sword is unique in itself, but has cousins in the surviving material. Looking at this group of swords provides a fascinating perspective of a family of swords that often taken second place when the history of the sword is outlined.
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow. I didn't think I'd like this one at all, but it looks fantastic.

Brian M
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's an heirloom quality sword.
Chris Boatcallie

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW! And I thought I would never see a Viking sword that I would like more than my Albion Vinland. Very impressive sword. NOW GET YOUR SPATHAS DONE SO I CAN BUY MY FOURTH ALBION! Razz
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Halfway sold out? Eek! Oh man, I'm heartbroken. I was going to save up for next Christmas.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Halfway sold out? Eek! Oh man, I'm heartbroken. I was going to save up for next Christmas.

Don't despair if they sell out before then-- I'm quite sure Albion will issue a "Mark II" version somewhere down the line.

I really would like to see what this sword looks like with different knotwork themes. Perhaps a "Mjolnir" theme, or even "Hugin and Munin?"

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's great to see something found from the Finnish soil to be an inspiration for an Albion sword. However I'd like to point out a spelling error. It's not Sountaka, it's Suontaka. "Suo" as in bog and "taka" as in behind. Otherwise, great job as always!
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Risto Rautiainen wrote:
It's great to see something found from the Finnish soil to be an inspiration for an Albion sword. However I'd like to point out a spelling error. It's not Sountaka, it's Suontaka. "Suo" as in bog and "taka" as in behind. Otherwise, great job as always!

Thanks!

I will look out for this and try to get it right.
Anything you might add on the place it was found and any known history from the period and era would be much appreciated!

I know embarrassingly little of Finnish history.

It would be nice to get a better background for this sword and its place.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh. how I want this sword. And oh. how poor I am. Somehow I will find a way...

Peter, you have outdone yourself. I can't wait to see what's next.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Brian D. A.

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Surely there will be a new version... later... right? Worried
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howy, if you don't mind my asking, what determines the size of a batch of swords?
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Embarrassingly I probably know even less. Big Grin I've seen the sword live at the National Museum and once tried to find more information about it online without any results. There might be some archeological publications about the sword and the grave, but I haven't run across them and probably won't considering the size of the local library... And it seems you already have read through those. Those times being pre-historic here in Finland (no written history) there really aren't a lot of information beyond the stories the archeological finds can tell us. But if I ever run to something new I'll be sure to write on this thread.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Risto Rautiainen wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:

Embarrassingly I probably know even less. Big Grin I've seen the sword live at the National Museum and once tried to find more information about it online without any results. There might be some archeological publications about the sword and the grave, but I haven't run across them and probably won't considering the size of the local library... And it seems you already have read through those. Those times being pre-historic here in Finland (no written history) there really aren't a lot of information beyond the stories the archeological finds can tell us. But if I ever run to something new I'll be sure to write on this thread.

Thanks Risto,

I do have papers on the find and the content and contex of the grave itself. It makes for interesting read but does not tell much about the larger scale of things.
What I would like to learn more about is what the situation for this area was at this time. What were the power structures? How influential and centralized/decentralized were the seats of power in south east finland at this time?
What was the influence, political power, status and duties of the woman who were buried in the grave?
Any dominant trade in the region?
Major source of economy, any possible export?
By what route came the german/frankish swordblade in her posession?
Why did she have *two* swords in her grave!?!?!

There is also another female grave not far away from the same time period that also includes weapons. That is curious.
A local tradition or just an odd thing?

I“d like to better understand who this woman might have been and what the landscape around her was like at this time.
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Peter Johnsson"][quote="Risto Rautiainen"]
Peter Johnsson wrote:

I“d like to better understand who this woman might have been and what the landscape around her was like at this time.

Me too! I am so fascinated by this sword and its context, and I have been intrigued by Finnish history (or pre-history) and culture for a while now but just haven't had the time to search for all the information (too busy doing Anglo-Saxon/VIking/Celtic research). In other words, I too would love to learn more so do post any info you find. :-D

Cheers,

~ Shamsi

Wa biš žam že sceal of langože leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Valkyrja
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: