Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Assassins And Their Role In Medieval Conflict? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote] Douglas Huxtable wrote:
"I used to be interested alot in eastern weapons like the sai for example which im sure most of you have heard of, a cross between a sword, a large fork and a sheild, all in a small sword-like form, they are really quite interesting that the concept for such an effective weapon is so old."

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote: "Got to wonder why it was not used much much more if it was so efficient

The sai is really more a stick than a sword. It does not cut. I'm not even sure it has a sharp tip. It is a special weapon made useful in a very specific context. For an assassin the sai is perhaps one of the most unsuited weapon: you have to get close *and* hit very hard, possibly several times, and it is not any easier to conceal than any form of knife (perhaps even harder because of the wide guard). Given the choice, I'd take a dagger over a sai..."
---------------------
Regarding the sai: I'm not sure it was ever an assassin's weapon, but definitely part of the Karate-Do Japanese martial art tradition, even if it may have come from Chinese or Indonesian origins.

One explanation: In many cultures (in this case, Asian), the peasants were not allowed to possess weapons without specific royal edict. As a result, common tools were utilized or adapted for various combative situations (i.e. some western medieval pole weapons); from revolts to organized warfare. The actual use of the sai in farming is still debated, although the best bet was that it was adapted from the pitch fork, which any modern gardener can tell you is more efficient than a shovel for digging in rocks and clay, and for moving anything from leaves to mulch to manure.
One site to support this: http://www.martialarm.com/weapons/karate-weapons.html

Other people believe they are evolved from the head of a military trident-like spear to be used in closer combat. The three prong design is easier to make than an edged weapon, and the side prongs protect against and trap cutting attacks.

The best referenced explanation I could find is located at this site: http://www.oshirodojo.com/kobudo_sai.html

A separate note on what makes a weapon "deadly": Ask any modern emergency room surgeon and they'll tell you that puncture wounds are still more deadly than any other type. You can't sew or bandage a puncture wound like a slash, since the lower layers of tissue will still bleed.

If anyone has better sources, feel free to correct me. In searching for quick links just now, I I've read explanations that I hadn't read in books. Then again, the internet is still only as good as the author at the other end, which is why I thoroughly enjoy this site. Referenced sites still hold more salt than hearsay. (But don't believe it just because I said so....)

Regards.
S. Mighton

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Off the top of my head it seems like most medieval European assassinations were either poisonings or large scale ambushes involving many armed assailants. And these assailants were generally not specialized assassins, but simply the retainers and fighting men of the Lord ordering the killing.
George Hill

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My information is that the Okinawans adapted the sai out of a latching device for a irrigation floodgate.
To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Jerry D

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

weren't poisons used extensively in Europe. For instance the Borgias in Italy. not sure how often this was done in Northern Europe but it was frequently used in the south. i believe that there may have been schools on it or maybe courses in the existing schools. there were several books on how to successfully poison someone printed in the renaissance. a quick search and found the site below.

http://www.portfolio.mvm.ed.ac.uk/studentwebs...ntents.htm
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In an age before proper medical analysis, anything that looks peculiar would be attributed to poison or the will of God. So the real question would be how many "poisonings" were actually illnesses and how many "illnesses" were actually poisonings?
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are a number of accounts that speak of assasinations.... most on failed ones. Barbours Brus has at least two of men trying to ambush bruce but he is able to outsmart them and kill them.

RPM
Douglas Huxtable

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Douglas Huxtable wrote:
I used to be interested alot in eastern weapons like the sai for example which im sure most of you have heard of, a cross between a sword, a large fork and a sheild, all in a small sword-like form, they are really quite interesting that the concept for such an effective weapon is so old.

Got to wonder why it was not used much much more if it was so efficient Wink

The sai is really more a stick than a sword. It does not cut. I'm not even sure it has a sharp tip. It is a special weapon made useful in a very specific context. For an assassin the sai is perhaps one of the most unsuited weapon: you have to get close *and* hit very hard, possibly several times, and it is not any easier to conceal than any form of knife (perhaps even harder because of the wide guard). Given the choice, I'd take a dagger over a sai...

I didnt say it was an effective weapon for assassins I didnt imply that assassins used them just that they originate from the middle east and japan etc.
I didnt say they could be used to cut either just that they have a sword-like form or shape.
They are effective for blocking and breaking swords, we did a course on them in kobudo Big Grin
but I take your point,

Would you like to be hit with one? Wink I wouldnt either, isnt that what weapons are supposed to make you feel? its a weapon and you dont wanna be hit with it, so it cant be too inaffective. Perhaps it just died out as a popular weapon because it became untrendy"? Big Grin

Humans trail a path of light, all land and space that hasnt been trodden by man is dark, all dark must be trodden to bring illumination, so that all others can follow the light that we bring.
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think assassinations were particularly different other forms of violence. It's simply the murder of an important person. Surprise attacks were common in both military and civilian encounters. Various manuals show that martial artists typically trained to defend themselves against such attacks. For example, Meyer gave advice on what to do about a man with dagger who seemed likely to attack. He gave instructions for defeating unexpected assailants in the streets.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Assassination is no different to any other murder. The difference is whether it is politically motivated, not whether a fancy weapon is used. Anyone who kills for political purposes is an assassin.
Sam N.

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
They are effective for blocking and breaking swords

I find it hard to believe that they could break swords. Swords are fairly tough and flexible, it would take a lot to break them, certainly more than pure wrist or arm strength combined with a small lever (the sai).

To add to the actual discussion though, how skilled were the actual members of the Hashashin sect? I always had the impression that they were nothing more than drugged up thugs.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Syrian writer and warrior Usama recorded an encounter he had with an assassin. He claimed to have defended himself successfully, cutting through both the assassin's dagger and arm with his sword.
George Hill

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
In an age before proper medical analysis, anything that looks peculiar would be attributed to poison or the will of God. So the real question would be how many "poisonings" were actually illnesses and how many "illnesses" were actually poisonings?

Very true. Of course, the thought something was a result of poisen may... (or may not...) reflect the atmosphere of a particular age.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although it's not really what you were asking for, I'd like to second George Hill's recommendation about reading on the Nizari-Ismaeli Assassins, since they were such a major part of the near east during the medieval period. Rather than Wikipedia, I'd suggest looking for scholarly books. A good and relatively cheap introductory book is Bernard Lewis' The Assassins: A Radical Sect of Islam: http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.php?ASIN=0465004989
Douglas Huxtable

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam N. wrote:
Quote:
They are effective for blocking and breaking swords

I find it hard to believe that they could break swords. Swords are fairly tough and flexible, it would take a lot to break them, certainly more than pure wrist or arm strength combined with a small lever (the sai).

To add to the actual discussion though, how skilled were the actual members of the Hashashin sect? I always had the impression that they were nothing more than drugged up thugs.

First of all, thanks to eveyone for getting involved its a very interesting thread weve got going now Big Grin

Although you are correct in some cases that the sword may not literally snap (depending upon strength, heat treating. material etc.) a sword bent at nearly 90 degrees is pretty much useless.
With the left hand locking the sword between both prongs of the sai, (turning against the force of the blade increases the grip) a quick hard accurate blow to the blade is going to render it nearly completely useless, if not useless then very inaccurate. Big Grin

Im definately going to read up on all the Assassin sects that have been mentioned.

The definition between murder and assassination seems pretty clear amongst most of us which I feel is good, I too believe that if there is one atall, the line between assassination and murder is very fine and may rely entirely upon the importance or fame of the victim in question.

It would be interesting to see some peoples opinions on specific assassinations that have already been spoken about on here, if it hasnt yet post it!
do you think the motives were justified? an evil person? or do you think like me that all murders and assassinations are wrong unless it incurrs the lesser of two evils. Wink

Humans trail a path of light, all land and space that hasnt been trodden by man is dark, all dark must be trodden to bring illumination, so that all others can follow the light that we bring.
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Persian end of the Nizam hashashim sect was pretty much wiped out by the Mongols under Hulugu when they tried to extort money from him. One did not do that to a Mongol lord. He set about a very methodical extermination of any and all of the sect that he could identify. Some probably made their escape, just as some of the Cherusci escaped from the legions under Germanicus in 14-15 CE.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Douglas Huxtable

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
The Persian end of the Nizam hashashim sect was pretty much wiped out by the Mongols under Hulugu when they tried to extort money from him. One did not do that to a Mongol lord. He set about a very methodical extermination of any and all of the sect that he could identify. Some probably made their escape, just as some of the Cherusci escaped from the legions under Germanicus in 14-15 CE.

EVERYONE READING, DO NOT ANNOY MONGOL WARLORDS YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE! Eek!

Interesting post, just goes to show he didnt much care for them in the first place.
thanks Big Grin

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas Huxtable wrote:

Interesting post, just goes to show he didnt much care for them in the first place.
thanks Big Grin

Also do not start a landwar in Asia... Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Douglas Huxtable wrote:

EVERYONE READING, DO NOT ANNOY MONGOL WARLORDS YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE!

thanks

Also do not start a landwar in Asia...

Or get involved with a Sicilian when death is on the line...

I remember hearing about their final extermination when I was in my undergrad and though that was basically the only way to deal with them. They always were rather loose cannons anyways.

I think in europe there was never any guild of assassins per se but likely people had their preferred hitmen. This gets rathe hairy though as if you kill another person with connections it begins either legal disputes or a feud. Up in York they had such a thing between the Nevills and the Percy's. The town began forbidding men from wearing any badges or livery of them or in the end even mentioning them!

RPM
Douglas Huxtable

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Douglas Huxtable wrote:

thanks Big Grin

Also do not start a landwar in Asia... Happy

Yeah lol thats generally not a great idea Razz

They must have been fairly paranoid Randall, although I guess thats all you can expect when such a large scale problem like that has occured Happy
Half an hour ago I got back from fencing at my local club and while I was there was given a very interesting piece of advice, the master coach/club leader guy is very experienced and said to me: "There are two attributes needed for fencing, speed and accuracy, you have both and you are lucky to do so, what you need to practice is a saying, not any saying, the Royal Marines even use it, its their motto. Who Dares Wins. I tried it tonight and it appeared to work very well, until I found my next bout was with him, he beat me, time after time again like usual, and at the end said, good, you are using it, your daring i said " How come you beat me everytime then?" He replied: Because if you know that the other fencer knows that 'Who Dares Wins' you can plan against it, I defended before I saw you attack because your quick, but because I know your going to be on the offensive, I can defend against it no-matter how fast you are, you must trick your opponent at competitions into thinking you are in a defensive state of mind, then dare.

Razz Think that could have been applied atall to medieval combat, maybe even with assassins?, something interesting as a kind of model would be to ask your opinions on what you think would happen if:

Assassin takes on a knight Laughing Out Loud

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most of the stealth, high level skills i.e. the James Bond / Ninja qualities would be much more in spying, information gathering or " agent provocateur " and dirty tricks type of things than actual killing by the " master spy ".

Actual assassinations would probably be the blunt instrument when subtlety was no longer needed or an " enemy " became an immediate threat or really REALLY got the King or High Noble(s) angry or greedy !

Think of the Templars: Gathering / creating a false case of witchcraft and in effect doing a political assassination before it became legalized assassination/executions. ( And stealing their treasure and lands as a bonus ),

If you could provoke an enemy into an act of treason or convince the King ( A paranoid King ) that one of your rivals was plotting against him, it would be a great way to get rid of him or her !

In other words: Italian Renaissance politics or Byzantine politics. So brains rather than brawn in the service of " Raisons d' États " with the occasional stiletto between the ribs when convenient. A skilled killer or warrior doing the job, a bunch of hired tugs or a duped " lunatic/patsy "

Note: Anybody notice that the realy dirty tricks kind of thing have French names. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud ( Joke and I'm French Canadian ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Assassins And Their Role In Medieval Conflict?
Page 2 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: