Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone here familiar with Lutel? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steven Janus

PostPosted: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Anyone here familiar with Lutel?         Reply with quote

http://www.lutel.cz/

Just curious that is all. I was thinking towards the future for a good high end bastard sword and when I converted their prices to US dollars, their deals are not bad at all. They usually give you a scabbard and sword belt with the sword! They ususally cost just under $700 US dollars. I think shipping and tax would be enormous but it should still be under $900. Now if it were just the sword for all that, then I would never consider but since it comes with a scabbard and a sword belt, well that is not a bad deal for a high end piece of art! Just curious, that is all.

Newbie Sword collector
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We have 7 reviews of Lutel products on our Reviews page, which should give you a good start. I've handled a couple of their pieces and used to own a dagger of theirs. They're not bad. They have a kind of modern look that it's hard to put my finger on, but they're generally attractive and durable.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, Lutel has a pretty good reputation and rather fair prices. They've been on my list of sword makers I'd like to do business with for a while now. (I hope to get at least one of those two-handed sabers one of these days.)

You might get better info from someone who's actually bought their products, but that's my impression, at least.

Chad Arnow wrote:
They have a kind of modern look that it's hard to put my finger on,

Yeah, I'm not really sure why, but I always thought they looked kinda like movie props. Though, I've never minded that since I do kinda like that look.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've gotten 2 Lutel pieces, one was stock and the other was a custom piece (that is now stock for them!). They were very professional about both pieces. The wait for the custom piece was longer than for the stock piece, as would be expected. They post your position in their production line on their website which makes the waiting a little more bearable. The actual weapons I got from them were very nice. They were solidly built, finished well, and used nice materials. I considered both of them to be excellent values. I have to agree with Chad that they have an X factor that makes them look modern. It's hard to describe unless you actually hold one. I think maybe its because the use of machines is too evident...super crisp angles, sanding grain all in one direction, etc. There is something about the steel they use that looks strange somehow as well. Either way, it didn't bother me enough to keep me from buying a second Lutel piece!
D. Perdue

PostPosted: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also own a Lutel piece that I bought a few years ago as a practice blunt. While not looking quite historical, it's been a sturdy and durable weapon. The sword itself is very attractive, and their leatherwork is quite nice as well.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Product is solid enough but most folks into historical accuracy find enough reasons to go with other options. Steady decrease in the value of the dollar is making them much less of a bargain than they have been in the past. Currently own two Lutel pieces, have owned four over the years. All met my expectations.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one, and while not as historical as, say, an Albion it is still a quite lovely sword to wield. They are very tough and durable swords with good handling. Of course I'm sure different models vary from others in this regard.
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Lutel swords         Reply with quote

I own three Lutel products: one of their nice small belt daggers, a "Landsknecht" dagger, and their half-basket hand-and-a-half Swiss Sabre (#15023). The daggers are nice enough, and weren't too expensive. They come sharp and with a nice iron mounted scabbard with belt loop. The Swiss Sabre is really nice, too, but I have to admit I agree that there's something ??? about the finish that makes it look a bit ahistorical. Perhaps it's the type of leather wrapping (baseball bat style and modern shiny dye), or maybe the satin polished uniformity of the whole piece. I gives me the impression of the work of a good custom knife maker who started making historical swords, but is too used to utilizing lots of power equipment in his trade. More hand work and a few little "imperfections" might make it look better, but it's just a thought.

Hey Anders, is my Sabre the one you like? I got it about three years ago before the US dollar weakened - paid around $600 ish - today it would cost over $900 plus shipping! Eek!

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lutel swords         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:

Hey Anders, is my Sabre the one you like? I got it about three years ago before the US dollar weakened - paid around $600 ish - today it would cost over $900 plus shipping! Eek!

Actually, I was thinking the longer of the "two handed sabers", the one we feature in the review section. Not that I'd mind owning their complex hilt Swiss saber as well, but I'm simply not economically comfortable to spend that much on a sword. Which is why I was pleasantly surprised to find that the two handed saber is actually their second cheapest sword.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone here familiar with Lutel?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic