myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Battles won by reserve troops? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin,

I have never seen information of the Templars given land for services to King Robert. I personally think that if they were there it was not as a group but that they had been dissolved they returned home. Now that said I am not sure how often scots joined the Templar order. I have never seen any Moffats joining but there ar alot of Moffats and we only can track a handful of them at this time. Adam Moffat and his brother were at Bannockburn. They were given title in Eskdale and other places from Robert Bruce. They also recieved Grandton from the Douglass Earl's after. In the end they had four main lordships, Knock, Grandton, Auldton and one that escapes me right now and in total about 11 large land tracks of theirs which makes it hard to follow which Moffats are doing what. I'd love to find more out about scot records but to be fair my studies are mostly in English records at the moment. We have gotten the family line back quite far. There was a Moffet who was bishop of Glasgow in 1268 so they were fairly well connected at times it seems. If I ever find Templar records of land I will tell you but do not hold your breath!

I have not met Lady Jean yet but I do hope in time to make one of the family gatherings. They do them between the US and Uk mostly. I have heard she is a very pleasant person as well, which is nice. This next years 2008 is in Chicago I believe.

RPM
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
The way I've heard the story of Bannockburn, is that the battle ended when the Bruce committed a reserve of Highlanders. The Highlanders were considered undisciplined, and prone to charge without orders, or overextend themselves. As such, he kept there too far back to do any harm until his reliable troops were all engaged, and even growing tired. Then he orders the Highlanders into the battle, and seeing fresh and eager troops joining the Scots, the English retreated.... or ran like the blazes.

According to Barbour, the West HIghland and Island troops under Angus Og MacDonald were in Bruce's division of reserves. Bruce is said to have told MacDonald, as he committed the reserve, "My hope is constant in thee." Hardly sounds like he had doubts about the reliability of the Highlanders.

As far as your other comments, I doubt very much that is the case. All the Highland troops were in the same type of formation as the others, carrying the same weaponry. I think what you have written harks back to the tactics of Highlanders during the 17th and 18th centuries and, in fact, sounds very much like the romanticized Victorian view. And, I think you are confusing the Highland troops with the "small folk" alluded to earlier.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, to lift something from Frontinus's Stratagemata, the Romans several times used the stratagem of putting their grooms and camp-followers on pack-horses or mules, sometimes trailing branches in the dirt, to give the impression that the Romans were getting reinforcements or that a Roman force was moving to attack the enemy's flank. These grooms and camp-followers did not actually engage the enemy but helped break the enemy's morale by their demonstrations. And this was not a uniquely Roman trick since Frontinus mentions a Scythian king using the same deception on one occasion.

Somehow, I also remember that I once read about Roman skirmishers doing severe attrition to Gallic warbands during the battle of Telamon, but I can't recall the details off the top of my head.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Battles won by reserve troops?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: